Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth “A New Commandment”

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

netchaplain

The present dispensation finds the believer serving God “in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter” (Rom 7:6). God’s “pleasure” (Phil 2:13) went from serving Him within the constitution of one’s own life, to that which can only be accomplished within the constitution of the “life” of His Son (Col 3:4; Zec 4:6).

When a lawyer of the Pharisees “tested” (Mat 22:35) the Lord Jesus, their conversation remained entirely within the realm concerning the “Law” (v 36). Until the Spirit was given (John 7:39), love to God was limited to one’s heart, soul and mind (Deut 6:5), and love to others was limited to a neighbor within the like manner of love to self (Lev 19:18); and “no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourishes and cherishes it” (Eph 5:29).

Hence the phrase a new commandment, which—“takes in more, and "new" objects; since by "neighbor" there, seems to be meant "the children of their people," the Jews; and so they understood it only of their countrymen, and of proselytes at furthest, whereas this reaches to any "other" person; see Romans 13:8; and as the measure, as well as the motive is new, for it is not now "as thy self," but "as I have loved you," the Jew has no reason to object as he does, to its being called a "new commandment": and its being "new," carries in it a reason or argument, why it should be observed.” JG

Last edited:
There are times when it is only through the love of Christ that he helps us love others. The OT people did not have the word of God made flesh to walk among them nor the Holy Spirit teaching them all things. or even that of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as we now do. Love is an old commandment, but also entwined in the law, but through the law no man could be justified. Now we are justified by the love of Christ where God finds His righteousness in us as we live by Gods will, which is love.

There are times when it is only through the love of Christ that he helps us love others. The OT people did not have the word of God made flesh to walk among them nor the Holy Spirit teaching them all things. or even that of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as we now do. Love is an old commandment, but also entwined in the law, but through the law no man could be justified. Now we are justified by the love of Christ where God finds His righteousness in us as we live by Gods will, which is love.
Hi Sis - I believe if we are always desirous for love to all others (which desire is from the Lord), He will do it through us!

Perhaps it is worth noting what access the OT folks had to the Holy Spirit.

In gotquestions?org there is an excellent, short article on 'What was the role of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament?' Here are a few grabs from the article:

The role of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament is much like His role in the New Testament. When we speak of the role of the Holy Spirit, we can discern four general areas in which the Holy Spirit works: 1) regeneration, 2) indwelling (or filling), 3) restraint, and 4) empowerment for service. Evidence of these areas of the Holy Spirit’s work is just as present in the Old Testament as it is in the New Testament....​

Moses told the Israelites prior to entering the Promised Land that “The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live” (Deuteronomy 30:6). This circumcision of the heart is the work of God’s Spirit and can be accomplished only by Him. We also see the theme of regeneration in Ezekiel 11:19-20 and Ezekiel 36:26-29....​

In contrast to this work in the New Testament, the indwelling in the Old Testament was selective and temporary. The Spirit “came upon” such Old Testament people as Joshua (Numbers 27:18), David (1 Samuel 16:12-13) and even Saul (1 Samuel 10:10). In the book of Judges, we see the Spirit “coming upon” the various judges whom God raised up to deliver Israel from their oppressors. The Holy Spirit came upon these individuals for specific tasks. The indwelling was a sign of God’s favor upon that individual (in the case of David), and if God’s favor left an individual, the Spirit would depart (e.g., in Saul’s case in 1 Samuel 16:14). Finally, the Spirit “coming upon” an individual doesn’t always indicate that person’s spiritual condition (e.g., Saul, Samson, and many of the judges)....​

All in all, the Spirit performs much of the same functions in Old Testament times as He does in this current age. The major difference is the permanent indwelling of the Spirit in believers now. As Jesus said regarding this change in the Spirit’s ministry, “But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you” (John 14:17).​

Oz

In gotquestions?org there is an excellent, short article on 'What was the role of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament?' Here are a few grabs from the article:

The role of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament is much like His role in the New Testament. When we speak of the role of the Holy Spirit, we can discern four general areas in which the Holy Spirit works: 1) regeneration, 2) indwelling (or filling), 3) restraint, and 4) empowerment for service. Evidence of these areas of the Holy Spirit’s work is just as present in the Old Testament as it is in the New Testament....​

Moses told the Israelites prior to entering the Promised Land that “The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live” (Deuteronomy 30:6). This circumcision of the heart is the work of God’s Spirit and can be accomplished only by Him. We also see the theme of regeneration in Ezekiel 11:19-20 and Ezekiel 36:26-29....​

In contrast to this work in the New Testament, the indwelling in the Old Testament was selective and temporary. The Spirit “came upon” such Old Testament people as Joshua (Numbers 27:18), David (1 Samuel 16:12-13) and even Saul (1 Samuel 10:10). In the book of Judges, we see the Spirit “coming upon” the various judges whom God raised up to deliver Israel from their oppressors. The Holy Spirit came upon these individuals for specific tasks. The indwelling was a sign of God’s favor upon that individual (in the case of David), and if God’s favor left an individual, the Spirit would depart (e.g., in Saul’s case in 1 Samuel 16:14). Finally, the Spirit “coming upon” an individual doesn’t always indicate that person’s spiritual condition (e.g., Saul, Samson, and many of the judges)....​

All in all, the Spirit performs much of the same functions in Old Testament times as He does in this current age. The major difference is the permanent indwelling of the Spirit in believers now. As Jesus said regarding this change in the Spirit’s ministry, “But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you” (John 14:17).​

Oz

That is a good explanation, but the OP is about a new commandment (love), not about the Holy Spirit. I did mention that of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit had not yet fallen on them, but that is another topic.

Oz
Hi OS - I appreciate your reply. Though FHG is correct in her assessment concerning the topic, I will give you credit for your address concerning the Spirit of God because He is always "in the loop" when discussing anything about the Father and the Lord Jesus.

I would just point out that there is a great difference between the Spirit upon or accompanying one, than indwelling; same for the Lord accompanying His Apostles and disciples and indwelling them--through the Spirit of course. The hinge-pin of differentiation is the fact concerning when the Spirit of God was given to indwell those who are Christ's.

Thanks again for your input, and God's blessings to your Family!

That is a good explanation, but the OP is about a new commandment (love), not about the Holy Spirit. I did mention that of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit had not yet fallen on them, but that is another topic.

With respect, the first sentence of the OP was: 'The present dispensation finds the believer serving God “in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter” (Rom 7:6)'.

So, it was about the Holy Spirit, in the newness of the Spirit. I was demonstrating with Scriptural proof that there was Holy Spirit ministry internally in the OT.

I would just point out that there is a great difference between the Spirit upon or accompanying one, than indwelling; same for the Lord accompanying His Apostles and disciples and indwelling them--through the Spirit of course. The hinge-pin of differentiation is the fact concerning when the Spirit of God was given to indwell those who are Christ's.

However, I cited this in #4 (it was from another author):

I agree that there is a great difference between the Spirit coming on a person and the Spirit indwelling. However, I presented evidence for people in the OT who were loving God from the heart and with all the soul and having a circumcision of the heart. These are internal ministries of the Holy Spirit. And it was in the OT.

I do agree that since the coming of the Spirit at Pentecost and the indwelling of the Spirit when a person becomes born again, there is a new dynamic for NT believers. However, I think it is too easy to brush aside the internal ministry of the Holy Spirit that was revealed in the OT.

Oz

With respect, the first sentence of the OP was: 'The present dispensation finds the believer serving God “in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter” (Rom 7:6)'.

So, it was about the Holy Spirit, in the newness of the Spirit. I was demonstrating with Scriptural proof that there was Holy Spirit ministry internally in the OT.
Also with respectful reply, though the article mentioned the Spirit of God, He was not the subject, as identified by the title, but your use of mentioning His work is within the subject in that I shared how His work changes man's heart in a way that the Lord Jesus can love through those who are His.

This of course is a spiritual circumcision rather than a fleshly circumcision, of which the latter was a type of the former, and God was showing the Jews He was going to do this with some of them in the latter days. The crux of Deuteronomy 30, and much of the OT discourses what God is going to do with Israel latter, i.e. "That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee" (v 3). This prophecy started coming to pass only within the last century.

The same is for the time when, "The LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live" (v 6). As you've mentioned, "the heart is the work of God’s Spirit and can be accomplished only by Him," and this is being be done by the Spirit of God but it did not begin until after He was given. I do not share this to contend or belittle your reply, but I would imagine there are many who do not realize that the heart-circumcision of Christ (Col 2:11) was not performed in the OT, just foreshadowed (Col 2:17) in the physical circumcision to show it is coming.

No one in the OT could love the way God loves without the Spirit changing them and giving them the nature which is after Christ (Col 3:10), for it is in the life of Christ (Col 3:4) and through the new nature that the Spirit of God uses (Eph 3:16) those who are born again.

John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

1 John 4:19-20 We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.
1 John 3:23-24 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Hi LovethroughDove and welcome to CF :wave2

Great scriptures as it's all about the love of Christ which has been Gods will from the foundation of the world.

Hi LovethroughDove and welcome to CF :wave2

Great scriptures as it's all about the love of Christ which has been Gods will from the foundation of the world.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back