Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

1 Peter 3:15...How Important Is this?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
[MENTION=88789]Aardverk[/MENTION]
I wish there was a good answer to the dilema with your revelations. Honestly, those are good reasons not to have faith. I do see that. Faith is a decision made in the heart, not the head, but faith doesn't necessarily have to be blind. It does make me cringe to look at some of those facts, but I hope I can provide some good reasons to have faith.
My information on the canon is based on one source, Evidence That Demands A Verdict (ETDAV) by McDowell, so I would not consider myself an expert on the subject. From what I read though, the earliest attempt to compile the documents for the New Testament was a Roman heretic Marcion (AD 140). As you said, after some bickering, the NT was proposed in AD 325. From my understanding, Jesus rising from the dead had a big impact from the beginning, everyone was talking about it and people were writing about it. I read there were hundreds of original documents out there when the canon came along. To me the idea they could edit or destroy all those documents seems difficult to believe. Paul traveled a lot and there would have been documents out there the canon wouldn't have known about. The oral tradition plus Roman historians would have been outside the canon's influence too. I wish I could say with certainty it's 100% accurate but that's a matter of faith.
The reason, and there's no way to candy coat it, is the other writings (apocrypha books) that didn't line up with the 4 gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. According to ETDAV though, what the canon compiled into the new testament most scholars do consider to be reliable. Times are a changin', there has been a lot more people casting doubt on the reliability of the NT. I mean, we are talking about the story of a man rising from the dead.
I hope this helps with any copying errors, from what I learned of scribes (in ETDAV) they had a lot of rules to follow if they wanted to be a scribe, they had to take a bath before they began to copy a scroll, they had to stop and say a prayer before writing "God", they weren't allowed to write from memory, they had to have the text in front of them, if they made an error they had to begin with a new scroll, and other rules about the quality of the scroll, pen, and ink. They took it very serious. The Qumran site was abandoned in AD 68 just before the temple was destroyed and forgotten until 1947 when a boy found the caves. Those scrolls were like a time capsule since the oldest copies of the OT dated back to 1100's. When they compared the documents from 1100's with the dead sea scrolls the only errors were obvious misspellings and punctuation errors.
Those are reasons I believe the bible is reliable and trustworthy, the reason I believe the NT is the word of God is prophecy, but here are a few other reasons for the hope that's in me:
1. "Heaven and Earth shall pass away but my words will never pass away". If I were to start a new religion with the assertion "You may hear my words and not listen but some day even rocks will hear my words and listen", I can probably figure it won't get off the ground since most will think I'm crazy. Even if 2000 years from now some scientist discovers rocks can hear, that wouldn't help me today. The general consensus from Aristotle's time until Hubble/Lemaitre/Einstein came along was the Heavens and Earth were eternal. I imagine when Jesus said that it seemed strange to a lot of people. We know about entropy and eventually the stars and Earth will pass away. From what I've read of quantum physics atoms do have a shelf life, trillions of years maybe, but they will pass away.
2."He made also of one blood every nation of men, to dwell upon all the face of the earth --" Acts 17:26. It seems to me that proclaiming all nations of men had the same blood would have been another one that would backfire or alienate everyone. I though people were proud of being Roman or Jewish. People used to believe that each race had it's own blood type (actual types are based on antigens, not hemoglobin). A common hemoglobin was not discovered until 1840 by Hünefeld.
3."Word became flesh". That must have seemed a strange concept, in some ways it still is. DNA is a language, complete with syntax, spelling(base pairs), and words (codons). Those words in DNA become flesh in real life.
To me, these trancend doubts about the canon because whoever said those things was either a lunatic making some really good gueses or knew as much about how the universe operates as modern science. Those examples might not have much weight to anyone but me, but I believe Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 are a solid foundation to make a leap of faith.
I hope you find a faith, which satisfies your mind as well as heart.

Hi Edward

I suggest you put the Noah's Ark video on the science forum and see how thoroughly it gets shredded. This thread is obviously not the place to go into detail.

....Faith is a decision made in the heart, not the head, but faith doesn't necessarily have to be blind. .......... From my understanding, Jesus rising from the dead had a big impact from the beginning, everyone was talking about it and people were writing about it. I read there were hundreds of original documents out there when the canon came along. To me the idea they could edit or destroy all those documents seems difficult to believe. Paul traveled a lot and there would have been documents out there the canon wouldn't have known about. The oral tradition plus Roman historians would have been outside the canon's influence too. ...... from what I learned of scribes (in ETDAV) they had a lot of rules to follow if they wanted to be a scribe, .... if they made an error they had to begin with a new scroll...... They took it very serious. ..... I hope you find a faith, which satisfies your mind as well as heart.
Thank you Vaccine. I have been trying to understand ancient manuscripts for many years and find them endlessly fascinating. There were undoubtedly great efforts made by some to make perfect copies but, as far as I know, there are no two identical copies of original texts in existence - none! Mainly human error obviously but there are quite a lot of deliberate changes.

"Codex A was for many years regarded as the oldest extant New Testament manuscript. It was given to the King of England in 1627 by Cyril Lucar, patriarch of Constantinople"

A few years later, John Mill (a printer) wanted to produce the definitive Bible in the original Greek where possible or direct, to Greek, translations from the original Aramaic or Hebrew.

"He managed to obtain copies of 82 Greek Manuscripts but found, in just those 82 documents – 30,000 textual differences. In 1707 he published his Greek bible with notes explaining all the 30,000 differences. He was criticised straight away for casting doubt on the accuracy of the bible.

Today, instead of just 82 manuscripts, we have access to over 5,000 manuscripts. By extrapolation there may well be 2,000,000 differences in just the Greek manuscripts. It is likely that the same situation exists in Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin and vernacular languages. This raises the probability of many millions of errors in ‘The Bible’.

Many of these errors are, in all probability, insignificant BUT some appear to be intentional changes. For example, Mark 1 quotes Isaiah but actually it is Exodus – the text was changed to ‘written in the book of Prophets’."

As far as the early Christian stories are concerned, we must bear in mind that there were many different versions of Christianity with vastly different tales. That was the reason for the council at Nicea. They all had their own texts, many of which were destroyed at Nicea but there were of course plenty of copies. Emperor Theodosius later ordered the gathering and burning of all 'Christian' texts other than the Nicean versions. That plus the execution of opposing 'Christian' leaders forced most minor 'Christian' denominations underground. Only Arians and Cathars remained in great numbers to spread their very different versions of 'Christianity'. The Arians faded away gradually leaving their non-trinitarian beliefs to the various off-shoot denominations which still exist but the Cathars thrived despite ruthless suppression by The Catholic Church. The Cathars were finally massacred en-masse by the French in the 14th century. Dan Brown's and Kate Mosse's fiction is based, in part, on Cathar belief. The Kate Mosse novel 'Citadel' is worth a read just for the real and shocking history that it contains.

Thank you again. I continue to hope but, as you say, it does seem to be a matter for the heart rather than for the head. If we are just going to believe what instinct tells us, does that have any real validity?

I am returned to my childhood again when I was told that "Faith is a supernatural gift of God". I once had that faith, that gift, but it has gone. I suppose I could just sit back and wait and hope that it comes back but I am getting pretty old now and am running out of time. I am looking for ways to get that gift back. One of those ways is to ask others why they believe - which is why I was so pleased when this thread (1 Peter 3:15) appeared. It is just what I needed - without knowing it!
Are you familiar with the story of the Preacher in "The Grapes of Wrath"?

I've been thinking of starting a thread about it. Some say it's impossible to lose the Holy Spirit (the source of faith in a person). I used to believe that. But not anymore. The church has been taught to believe that people who 'lose the Holy Spirit' were never saved to begin with. I don't see how that can be true when people who had gifts of the Spirit don't have them anymore and tell you themselves that they don't believe anymore.

I personally have a different view of the Bible than you. Since my relationship with God did not start out in the Bible, I've been measuring my life's 'religious' experiences against what the Bible says, and I have found the Bible to support the evidence. It's been amazing how accurate the Bible is that way. Over the years I've revisited some common teachings in the church today and I've found them to 1) not line up with actual experience, and 2) not even be Biblically accurate with what the Bible actually teaches anyway.

But, as I say, underneath it all, it is the sin issue that keeps my faith alive. I believe in the God who testifies to the world that he is going to judge everyone, and that it is our responsibility to make peace with him through the free gift of the forgiveness of our sins before we die. I have done that. That's the bedrock of my faith. Someone may be able to debate the details, but the foundation of Christianity stands firm--the foundation of the forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ, and how that forgiveness changes a person, preparing them for the judgment to come. That's the simplicity of the gospel.

It may be a rough ride between now and the Judgment, but we have the hope of salvation as the firm anchor of the soul to keep us secure to the very end (Hebrews reference forthcoming--Hebrews 6, I think). I once learned that the anchor was originally the symbol of the church, not the cross. I understand that fully, because that's what faith in the forgiveness of God (not facts, not details, etc.) has been for me--my anchor to keep me from drifting away from the surety of God's word to save those who come to him. If I surrender up that anchor I know that I will be lost. That's why I cling to it. And, God, may it be so for another day.

Please do not take that as an insult to your beliefs.

Oh I won't my "old" friend, we're just being honest with each other and that's one of the things I like about you. Hey, I'm 73 years old. Are you older or younger? I'd like to know you better. Could you please share a little about yourself? I already like you because of your honesty with me and I like that. :wave I kind-a ran out of things to say to you, that's why I invited my two friends to help. There are many things that you've studied in depth, and compared to you, I feel like you're the PHD. professor teaching me, your dumb student.

Can you please tell me what I can do to really help you get your confidence in the Lord back. I will give you my testimony and you might see something that you would like to question.

At the age of 34 I was part owner of Pilot Press Printing Co. in Portland, Maine. I could feel somehow that God wanted something from me but didn't know what. I didn't even know if there was someone called God. This was a period of about ten years. God was impressing my mind off and on. I wanted to talk with someone about that but didn't know who to approach that would'nt think that this big shot business man had gone nuts. :screwloose On the weekends I was into motorcycles, hardtail choppers, thus the name Chopper, big time and had no time for church. One day, in my shop, I looked out a window at the sky and said "If there is a God up there and you want something from me, show yourself to me". A Christian friend, Milton Bimpson, tried to witness to me but I told him that I thought that the Bible was written by good men who wanted to invent a book like the constitution so mankind would live good clean lives. I said something like, "well if God is real and wrote the Bible, he'll have to prove it"! A few months later he invited me and my family (wife & 2 children) to his Baptist church. I heard the Gospel for the first time as an adult and responded to the invitation as well as my wife. My two children were saved a month later at a "Word of Life" retreat for youth. I became a Christian on Nov. 4th 1974, was baptized along with my wife and children about six months later.

I knew God was real because my life changed so fast, so soon. I felt a call to be a pastor, went to Bible College and graduated in 1978. I never questioned the authenticity of the Bible because, as I put the instructions into practice, I saw in myself my life change. My brother (not saved) remarked how much I'd changed. Over the years, I've read how we got the Bible, and heard from people who know a lot more than me, negative things about the Bible translators. I only know the Bible saved me and changed my life, thinking and how I conduct myself. No other "self-help" book ever did that. The Bible, in my opinion, is a supernatural Book that changed this conceited know it all into a child of God who is still trying to be humble. Any book that can do that deserves my devotion and defence. How do I know that God inspired men to write the Bible? Because it changed me and continues to change people. Is it perfect? Yes, in the originals. Have there been mistakes in translation? Yes. Have the important doctrines of Salvation and how God wants me to live changed, NO. Only a few little things have been changed, not the important doctrines, from what I understand. I don't think that Almighty God would allow mortal man to alter His message of instruction to mankind. period!

God has proved to me in my heart that He is real and so is His Book!

Please do not take that as an insult to your beliefs.

Oh I won't my "old" friend, we're just being honest with each other and that's one of the things I like about you. Hey, I'm 73 years old. Are you older or younger? I'd like to know you better. Could you please share a little about yourself? I already like you because of your honesty with me and I like that. :wave

Can you please tell me what I can do to really help you get your confidence in the Lord back. I will give you my testimony and you might see something that you would like to question.

I wish I could tell you how to help me. I have tried prayer and just going through the motions at church in the hope that something will 'click' into place but so far - nothing.

I have only recently given up biking (75 by the way). My hips would no longer allow me to sit, knees bent, on a 'normal' bike for long periods, they frequently locked in place making it very painful to put my foot down. I managed riding off-road bikes (DR350 & XT225) fairly well, as I could stand up much of the time, but that finished off my knees :chokedup. My hips remained perfectly comfortable in the 'feet forward' Harley position (Heritage Soft Tail) but unfortunately you have to stop and put your foot down, sometimes unexpectedly, and the weight of a Harley is just too much for me once it starts to go over. I dropped mine once at a junction and got my leg caught under it. Fortunately I was wearing tough off-road boots and I was not injured but that was scary, being trapped under the bike with gas dripping on me! So I gave it up. I kept a small, light, Moto Guzzi Breva for short trips but the old hip problem was too painful too often so I finally admitted defeat about 4 years ago. I could still manage a scooter but they are hardly the same thing are they?:sad

I suggest you put the Noah's Ark video on the science forum and see how thoroughly it gets shredded. This thread is obviously not the place to go into detail.

It is true that there is a lot of rightly dividing the Word that must take place in order to get at the truth. But the truth is out there. This is why it is important for us to pray for understanding and to have some faith in other things beside man. When you do this, it's up in the air and at the Lords feet. That's why they call it faith. Then with diligence and faith, the Holy Spirit will bear witness with our spirit and give us truth and added faith. And as far as the bible goes, it is written that His word will never pass away. So there enough in there to point us the right direction if approached with prayer and dedication.

There were undoubtedly great efforts made by some to make perfect copies but, as far as I know, there are no two identical copies of original texts in existence - none!

Here is a copy of a post that I made earlier this morning in our YEC forum. It goes to the "as far as I know" thought. Normally I don't double post but this one has dual purpose it seems. I'm having difficulty understanding the import of the argument one of our non-Christian Members makes here. It almost seems like he's trying to say something but ... well, nevermind. Here's the reply:

Do you believe in God? A different approach to the subject...

I read an article today by Carl Johnson, Pastor, A Christ Walk Church. Now, I don't know much about this guy at all, have only read three of the articles on his website hosted on MB-Soft.com I don't even know what MB-Soft is, but I did like the way he presented things. There's a lot of resources there and it seems that Paston Johnson has quite the background. He talks about Advanced Physics, about Dinosaurs, about a variety of Social Subject, about Scientific Subjects, Public Service and God.

Here's a clip from one page of this rather large website:

Public Services Home Page

Do You Believe in God?
A common question, but one that often results in frustration and confusion and arguments! Consider an entirely different approach to the matter!

This does not matter whether a person has any "deep understanding" or any understanding whatever regarding the precise text of Genesis, or of any religious subjects! This approach is "non-religious" completely.

It is a "challenge!"

It involves a sequence of logical exercises, and YOUR logic and YOUR interpretation of any and all facts.

I first give you an assignment to compose a simple one-page "history of sports". I give you the names of 14 common and popular sports: Baseball, football, soccer, tennis, golf, basketball, rugby, cricket, field hockey, ice hockey, archery, gymnastics, track and field, and wrestling. You are to write a brief history where the beginnings of those sports are put in the correct historical order. Easy? Prove it! Prove to me that you can generate a correct sequence of the 14 sports on a piece of paper, WITHOUT any usage of any textbooks, encyclopedias, the Internet, or any other resources.

PAUSE ... while you complete your assignment.

Now we can examine the statistics involved to see how likely it was that you succeeded in accomplishing that goal.

Which sport do you think was first? You start out with 14 choices to pick from. Then, which was second? You have 13 left to pick from, so you already have 14 * 13 or 182 different possible storylines for just the first two sports!

It turns out that you have a total of 14!, what is called 14-factorial possible sequences to choose from. That number happens to be 87,178,291,200 possible sequences. So you have quite a chore ahead of you, and you must realize that, without the added help of a computer or an encyclopedia, the chance that you get the sequence exactly right is not likely to be much better than one in 80 billion!

Yes, we recognize that you can make certain GUESSES to eliminate a few of the possibilities. But think about the situation was where all those sports began far, far, long ago, where it might have been harder to rule out many possibilities.

Read more of this article at:
http://mb-soft.com/public3/god.html

The essay continues to explain that there are some very specific events described in the Book of Genesis and relates what we have learned during our assignment above to the problems faced by the author of the first book of the bible. It's a good read and clicking around the website gives lots of opportunities to read things that we've wondered about since childhood.

Cordially,
Sparrowhawke

PS - I've not read enough of this author to be able to confirm or deny his belief regarding Young Earth, but have read enough to know that he is a very prolific writer, expresses himself well and does believe in God.

So, Aardverk? Are you up for Pastor Johnson's challenge? It seems rather daunting to me. "As far as I know," indeed. It starts when we hagiazō God in our hearts.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were undoubtedly great efforts made by some to make perfect copies but, as far as I know, there are no two identical copies of original texts in existence - none!

Here is a copy of a post that I made earlier this morning in our YEC forum. .
Thank you. An interesting article making a very good point. How long was it between Adam and Eve and the stories being written down? How many memories were involved in passing the stories down though the generations before writing was invented? Who actually TOLD the genesis story in the first place? ;) Where did he/she get the info?:chin

I'm not quite sure what it has to do with my, 'as far as I know' comment though. My comment was only in response to the previous poster's explanation that great care was taken by the scribes copying scrolls.

I have only recently given up biking (75 by the way).

Hey! it's about time I communicated with a "biker Dude" I knew there was something I liked about you. :wave Boy, do we have a lot in common! I had to give up riding two years ago. Both my hips were very bad, you know the feeling! It hurts just hearing that from you, I'm so sorry you had to give it up. I had both hips replaced in 2006. Plus I have had 2 failed spine surgeries. I now have rods and screws on my lower spine. I can't ride even though, on my big bagger, I put a back rest. Someday we ought to get together and talk about our problems. :lol I used to belong to the "Christian Motorcyclists Association" It was a lot of fun back then. Have you thought of hip replacement? Boy, mine came out great! If it was not for my back I'd be in fine shape. Well, there is only 2 years diffenence in our ages. Old age certainly is not for the weak at heart

Oh man, I wish I could help in some way to see you confident in the Lord again....for me, it comes down to trust. Bob Benson, a Christian writer once wrote something like this (my memory is like my back "gone south" :crying) He said the greatest gift that a Christian can give back to God is his Trust! I guess that is why I don't put a lot of study into the translations I just don't understand all the procedures and complications that the men had to overcome so that we could have a Bible in our language. God is God! He can do anything and I believe that before time began He knew me and knew that He would have to make it simple for this old sheep. Since I came out of the ground, I'm nothing but an old "dirt Bag" :toofunny but this old dirt bag loves God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit and I trust them. I can't answer a lot of questions about so many years ago so what can I do to keep my faith alive? TRUST. Oh my biker friend, can you, with me, just trust Him to keep you in the palm of His hand? I wish you would! I'm so concerned for you!!!! I don't even know you but I love you in the Lord. You're in my thoughts daily and I'm going to pray for a breakthrough intil you get it. My promise to you.

Thank you again. I continue to hope but, as you say, it does seem to be a matter for the heart rather than for the head. If we are just going to believe what instinct tells us, does that have any real validity?

Aardverk, thank you too! I really mean that, I feel this is a very beneficial exchange of ideas. I'm no scholar and only relied on one source. You have given me a lot to think about, not that I've lost any faith, just gives me a lot to think about. I respect your position and you sound like a good egg.
I didn't become a believer until I was 26, my wife had a lot to do with that. I struggled with the science and reliability issues for a long time. My wife had an "experience" and she just never doubted afterwards. Not that she's special or even that not having an experience really matters, it's just that eventually my feelings overtook my doubts. My feelings might only be valid to me, but it's what I believe, that Jesus is my king. I see you continue to hope. Which, from what you've revealed is no small thing to still have hope. I'm glad we have that in common.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not quite sure what it has to do with my, 'as far as I know' comment though. My comment was only in response to the previous poster's explanation that great care was taken by the scribes copying scrolls.

As far as I know, Aardverk, [introduce any speculation that I can not disprove here], and that's the truth?

There is, as you know, a difference between straight forward allegations such as "The Bible is not the word of God," and casting dispersions. I don't accept you as an expert on the subject and notice that your opinion is expressed rather well. I used to work as a computer technician and a systems analyst as well as serve on the help desk. One of my co-workers (a consultant of mine) once jokingly told me, during a break, "Listen, it's always like this. They ask one question and we get to ask five."

You've asked me four questions in response to the one suggestion that I quoted. Would you agree that the exercise (without external aid) is daunting as stated by the Pastor? Certainly it seems that way to me. And, it's like I said in my PM to you earlier, I'm thinking that your statement about not knowing how to help others help you, is true enough. It goes to the issue of trust. The bible says (and I know that many unsaved close their ears when they hear that, but say it anyway) that God gives a portion of faith to all men.

So we see that faith is a free gift from God and comes to us at our salvation (Rom 5:1 and Rom 4:5). In Acts 14:27 we read that Jesus had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles meaning that salvation was now freely available to all through Christ. In Acts 17:31 and thereabouts, we see, "... "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent..." we read further that He, " ... [has] furnished proof to all men by raising Him [Jesus, His son] from the dead."

This word, in the Greek is like a verb and could read " ... having faithed to all men ...” When God gives faith to people, He faiths to us the absoluteness of the truth of Christ.

Riddle: What's the difference between a coin and a sheep?
Answer: Nothing, they were both lost.

We see a parable that illustrates the heart of God for the lost ones. The parable has three parts. A question is asked and answered and we see a shepherd who leaves the 99 and looks for the 1 who was found in a pit. Another question is asked and we see a woman who searches for the lost coin, who through no fault of its own was misplaced or lost? The third illustration gives the story greater sense of completeness because we get to guess that the first two illustrations were not really about sheep, not really about a coin. We see a son who leaves the household and the table of his father. He goes out and, according to folklore, starts eating pig food but what the bible says though is that after he looked on the food he was serving to pigs, he became desirous of it and he reasoned with himself, basically saying, "What am I doing?"

His thought continues and although he does not expect any warm welcome, after having treated his father like that, he starts thinking, "Even the servants eat better than this," and starts his journey back home. To his surprise he is welcomed with a robe and a ring and a fine meal. There's more to the story, but the three parables, one right after another, assure us that God is indeed concerned with those who find themselves lost.

It starts when we hagiazō God in our hearts, even just a little.

... My wife had an "experience" and she just never doubted afterwards..
I must admit to being jealous of that sort of thing.

One of my sisters, then a confirmed atheist, had a baby die due to a doctor's error about 30 years ago. She had some sort of 'experience' and very much to my surprise, she gave the baby a proper Christian burial and returned eagerly to Christianity. She now has an absolute, unquestioning faith. She has become so fundamentalist that she will no longer even talk to me because she regards me as an 'atheist', as she was, even though I would never describe myself that way. That hurts, it hurts very badly.

That sort of misguided 'Christian' thinking makes it even more difficult for me to get past the cognitive barrier. Fortunately some of my best friends are devout Christians and I have two other Christian sisters who are more, dare I say 'normal', so I am well aware that not all Christians are like the fundamentalist sister. You will understand though that, that sad situation it is ever present in my mind.

I don't accept you as an expert on the subject and notice that your opinion is expressed rather well.
(a) Fair enough - that's why I'm asking questions.
(b) Thank you for the compliment.

Would you agree that the exercise (without external aid) is daunting as stated by the Pastor?
Yes. (One question - one answer ;))

1 Peter 3:15

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:/(KJV)

How important is this? No importance? Of moderate importance? Or perhaps it is infinitely important?

Personal faith is a very personal thing. Or is it?!

:chin
Well, most people focus on the defense part and forget about the hope portion. Most people don't ask Christians about the hope they have within them, because most of the time you aren't able to distinguish there is something different about their life.

I think if you're focused on putting your hope in Jesus and living in a way that is truly different than those around you, you will have people who ask you about the hope that is within you.

So what is really important is to truly have that hope within you so that it is visible for all to see, then with a humble, gentle and compassionate heart work on giving a reason for that hope.

1 Peter 3:15

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:/(KJV)

How important is this? No importance? Of moderate importance? Or perhaps it is infinitely important?

Personal faith is a very personal thing. Or is it?!

:chin
Well, most people focus on the defense part and forget about the hope portion. Most people don't ask Christians about the hope they have within them, because most of the time you aren't able to distinguish there is something different about their life.

I think if you're focused on putting your hope in Jesus and living in a way that is truly different than those around you, you will have people who ask you about the hope that is within you.

So what is really important is to truly have that hope within you so that it is visible for all to see, then with a humble, gentle and compassionate heart work on giving a reason for that hope.

I think that is all very true. Without wishing to upset anyone, I have lost track of the number of people who have jumped to the (wrong) conclusion that I was attacking their faith, just because I asked a question about something that troubled me. The effect of that on me hardly needs to be spelled out. :gah

Hello again Aardverk, I came across a word that made me immediately think of you. The word is "Providence" I believe in the providence of God to preserve the major doctrine's of Scripture. After all, The Almighty God had mortal man write down what He wanted us to know about Himself and how He wanted us to live and be saved. God is not going to let His Word to us be changed so that what He intended the Word to accomplish, would be changed by man or demon! He is just to powerful and His Word to us is just to important. In my opinion, I can trust the Bible that I read as the authoritative Word of God!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back