Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

3 Times - Why?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Josef

Hey All,
Here is the passage to think about.
There are some questions afterwards.

Matthew 26:35-46 Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.
Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.
Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.

This garden time seems a bit mysterious. It leaves more questions than it answers.

Why did Jesus pray 3 times in the Garden of Gethsemane?

Was Jesus doing something (being crucified) that He did not want to do? (This prayer makes it seem so. Not a bias, just an observation.)

Why was Jesus' soul exceeding sorrowful, even unto death?

Is there a reason Jesus prayed the same prayer three times?
(We know that God does not change. Therefore His will would not change. So Jesus, being God in human flesh, should also know this.)

What is the need for this prayer?

Why wasn't one prayer enough?

Anybody got any ideas?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Last edited:
Luke 22:54:62 Peter, yet without Spiritual understanding as the indwelling of the Holy Spirit had not yet come, denied Jesus three times for his weakness and in fear the crowd would point him out as a follower of Christ and he to would be captured and persecuted to death.

All the Disciples fled away when Christ was taken by the Roman guards except for John who was called the Disciple whom Jesus loved and the only one present on that hill called Golgotha as he was beloved of Jesus. It's not that Jesus did not love all His disciples, but John was the one who kept close to Jesus. Jesus even asked John to take care of Mary as John brought her to his house. John 19:25-27

Hey All,
Here is the passage to think about.
There are some questions afterwards.

Matthew 26:35-46 Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.
Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.
Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.

This garden time seems a bit mysterious. It leaves more questions than it answers.

Why did Jesus pray 3 times in the Garden of Gethsemane?

Was Jesus doing something (being crucified) that He did not want to do? (This prayer makes it seem so. Not a bias, just an observation.)

Why was Jesus' soul exceeding sorrowful, even unto death?

Is there a reason Jesus prayed the same prayer three times?

What is the need for this prayer?

Why wasn't one prayer enough?

Anybody got any ideas?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Thank you for posing this question Taz, as you have caused me to notice something about this incident that I have read 100 times before, yet never picked up on.
No ,I don't believe Jesus repeated the prayer for His own benefit .
This was being repeated for the benefit of the His Disciples.
I think He wanted His disciples to have this moment seared into their memories for future recall.
So they needed to stay awake to witness it .
Why ?
I think the "why" ? is related to the type of " temptation" Jesus was referring to.
What is this Temptation Jesus is referring to, do you think ?

"Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Back