Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A Few Questions for the Ladies

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

Here's a couple of random questions that you'll probably think, "Why in the world does he care about this stuff?". :lol

But I heard someone on the way home from work today on the radio discussing this, and it caught my interest.

Speaking to our lady members here, do you care if someone asks how old you are? A generation ago, it was rude to ask, and (for some reason) women seemed protective of this information. I don't get it. I've never gotten it. Someone on the radio suggest that social websites will kill this tradition for sure, because everyone knows how old everyone is. They post their birth year in their profile.

So do you care about letting your age known?

And here goes REAL random, because I was just having this conversation with my wife. I have always asked Julie to let herself age with grace - no whigs, no dying here hair brown until she's 100. She was beautiful when I met here, and she'll be beautiful when she has gray hair! :eyebrow

How do you lady members feel about that stuff. Have you aged, or do you plan to age, naturally or fight it?

Here's a couple of random questions that you'll probably think, "Why in the world does he care about this stuff?". :lol

Nah, I don't care about saying my age. I never understood it either. A friend of mine who is Iranian commented one day, "I do not understand Americans, always trying to hide their age. In my country age is an honor! A goal to achieve, a status to flaunt! Why ruin that with a shallow game to hide the truth, and what is so wrong with aging to Americans? Don't they honor the wisdom it brings?"

And I agree 100%. LOVE her outlook.

No hiding the grey here.

once in america and in judiasm(jewish) culture that was the case as well.

you iranian friend is a typical muslim in response.

i told a mulsim in afghanistan that i was a "spengarye babah" and he congralated me

its the words for grey headed grandpa. while i dont have a full set of grey hairs i do have alot more then last i talke to him.

I don't care if anyone knows my age...I'm 50 and think being 50 is pretty cool.

As for how to age...as of now I dye my hair my former natural color (blond) because my kids want me to. They don't want their mom to look as old as their grandma and frankly, it would bug me if anyone was to mistake me for their grandmother, even though I'm certainly old enough to be so.

I've told them I will remain a blond (or sometimes a redhead, because I was born a redhead) until I have grand kids then I'm going gray. If I follow in my mom's footsteps, I should wind up with a crown of beautiful snow white hair with silver highlights...I think that would look much better than the dye job I have now.

America has a "youth culture" driven by media. Old age should be an honor. I know I really wouldn't want to step back in time to return to a different age. But, all around we are bombarded by images telling us that somehow aging is the worst possible thing. That's sad.

Mike said, "let herself age with grace - no whigs, no dying here hair brown until she's 100"

I have to ask...if no whigs, what about tories?(sorry, couldn't resist...:biggrin)

And I agree 100%. LOVE her outlook.

No hiding the grey here.

:thumbsup

But I think I was misunderstood. Julie has no grey yet, but she does dye and highlight her hair. I've told her I would much prefer that when she starts to go grey, she let it happen naturally. I'm not sure she's on board. :) My grandmother died her hair solid brown until the day she died at 89. To be honest, it kinda got ridiculous. :gah

Mike said, "let herself age with grace - no whigs, no dying here hair brown until she's 100"

I have to ask...if no whigs, what about tories?(sorry, couldn't resist...:biggrin)
Sorry. I have no idea what "tories" are. :confused:

A book? What's this you speak of? :)

Dora, after I posted my question to you, I was thinking you meant "toupee". That seemed to fit the conversation. I guess I've got to do some reading, now. :study

I think I'm the only one on this board that you give the "frustrated repeat" to.

"Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike..."

I think I'm the only one on this board that you give the "frustrated repeat" to.

"Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike..."

Sorry Mike...this was something that my cousins and I always did with my little cousin (all of 17 months younger than I) Mike, who was a bit of a goof ball. Irritated him probably as much as it does you. :lol

As for Julie's hair color...while I'm sure that she values and appreciates her husband thinking that she will be just as beautiful with gray hair as she is now...it's a big decision for a woman to go gray. Probably the best response of a loving husband will be "No matter what you do with your hair, you're still the most beautiful woman in the world." ;)

However, I get you about the 89 with brown hair bit. I have a really sweet friend who is in her early '60's and has spent so much outdoor time that her face is a road map of wrinkles. It's a beautiful face, filled with the character of a lifetime and the way the wrinkles crinkle into place when she laughs or smiles really light up her face.

When she was young, she was a total knockout...naturally slim, hair so black it picked up blue highlights in the sun, a fair complexion and blue, blue eyes. Now that she's older, her eyes have faded a bit and her skin is in the shape one is naturally in when one is a fair person who has spent the last 60 years outdoors...but she still tries to keep her hair the same black as her youth. You just can't get that same sheen and shine from bottled color and it really clashes with her face and complexion now. Personally, I think she would be a stunning older woman if she'd let the hair go gray

...but that's her decision.

As for me...it cracks me up when my kids talk about doing things with their hair. Not so much with my daughter, because she has beautiful hair, long, medium brown with natural red and blond highlights...women spend big, big bucks to get hair her color and she doesn't want to change it. But my son...he's always up for getting patterns shaved in his hair and he keeps waiting for the day his dad will give an OK for him to dye it blond or green or blue and orange (so far permission is not forthcoming).

Yet, boy, let me talk about dying my hair black or purple or pink and they are like "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!" Once we were watching an old Cyndi Lauper video where she had the checkerboard cut on one side and dyed all colors and I casually mentioned that I was thinking about getting my hair styled like that...the stunned and shocked looks on their little faces.

I love messing with their minds like that. :lol

Pro 16:31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

H7872
Feminine of H7869; old age: - (be) gray (grey, hoar, -y) hairs (head, -ed), old age.

My older sister is so worried about getting old she acts like an old lady.....:sad i am not kidding....

My hair is gray most often i think gray on an older lady is soft and enhances her looks. The pink/blue or black is just awful. I coloured my hair when i was younger... I do wish i had my DH silver hair! 3 years ago i had none, cue ball, zero, chemo does that so i am pleased to have what i have...:tongue

My age i will be 65 next month....I think it is silly to hide ones age.. I am still a tomboy just slower at it......

Dora i think your right on for the kids.....:thumbsup

Sorry Mike...this was something that my cousins and I always did with my little cousin (all of 17 months younger than I) Mike, who was a bit of a goof ball. Irritated him probably as much as it does you. :lol

As for Julie's hair color...while I'm sure that she values and appreciates her husband thinking that she will be just as beautiful with gray hair as she is now...it's a big decision for a woman to go gray. Probably the best response of a loving husband will be "No matter what you do with your hair, you're still the most beautiful woman in the world." ;)

However, I get you about the 89 with brown hair bit. I have a really sweet friend who is in her early '60's and has spent so much outdoor time that her face is a road map of wrinkles. It's a beautiful face, filled with the character of a lifetime and the way the wrinkles crinkle into place when she laughs or smiles really light up her face.

When she was young, she was a total knockout...naturally slim, hair so black it picked up blue highlights in the sun, a fair complexion and blue, blue eyes. Now that she's older, her eyes have faded a bit and her skin is in the shape one is naturally in when one is a fair person who has spent the last 60 years outdoors...but she still tries to keep her hair the same black as her youth. You just can't get that same sheen and shine from bottled color and it really clashes with her face and complexion now. Personally, I think she would be a stunning older woman if she'd let the hair go gray

...but that's her decision.

As for me...it cracks me up when my kids talk about doing things with their hair. Not so much with my daughter, because she has beautiful hair, long, medium brown with natural red and blond highlights...women spend big, big bucks to get hair her color and she doesn't want to change it. But my son...he's always up for getting patterns shaved in his hair and he keeps waiting for the day his dad will give an OK for him to dye it blond or green or blue and orange (so far permission is not forthcoming).

Yet, boy, let me talk about dying my hair black or purple or pink and they are like "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!" Once we were watching an old Cyndi Lauper video where she had the checkerboard cut on one side and dyed all colors and I casually mentioned that I was thinking about getting my hair styled like that...the stunned and shocked looks on their little faces.

I love messing with their minds like that. :lol

and drive them to school as well.

Honestly, I don't get this stuff about women either. And I'm an ex-gay, so you'd think I'd have more insight into women, considering how I used to be surrounded by them 24/7.

My mother gets her gray "touched up" and then streaked. I don't get it. She always has to cram a session with her hair person into her schedule and then she says she and the colorist "don't get along," which strikes me as kind of crazy. Considering the frustration and $$$ involved, I'd just tell her to make my hair gray again and let it go. But that's me.

America definitely has a youth culture. Once you pass 25, you're no longer "young," but there's still pressure to be "cool." After 30 I think you're a "real adult," which I guess means that unless you're "hip" and "cool," you're a done deal.

To be fair though, the emphasis on Youth is spreading to men, probably to convince men that they "need" high dollar skin care and what not. I hate to say it, but I've responded. I take Propecia for hair loss and use medication on my face which, although its prescribed for a skin condition, has the happy side effects of treating and preventing wrinkles. I could use other meds, but this one is a) cheaper and b) keeps me looking fresh. I do this stuff, and I'm completely out of the dating game--just imagine what the growing number of unmarried or divorced men with means are doing to improve their chances with the ladies (or men; gay men are notoriously youth obsessed).

not to derail but beng gay or bimale is most self centered and narcisstic.

Last edited by a moderator:
not to derail but
Wait for it... wait for it... Jason, are you trying to kill all my threads? :wave

Keep on moving, folks. Nothing to see here.

Handy said:
I'm not irritated. I just feel... special. :)

I think it depends on the individual. I am STILL somewhat vain, if you will, & I don't look good with half gray hair!
Actually, I turned 60 this year & have very little gray. Unlike my late brother, at 49, he had a full head of hair & was prematurely gray. He asked me once which do I like- him dying it back to brown, or with the gray. I said the gray looked fine, but afterwards, I looked at some pictures & wished I given a better evaluation. He looked 10 years younger with the brown hair. My husband has no hair so there's no conversation about him on that issue.

Getting old is a drag of course but this is when integrity vs. despair is important in the life stages. Accomplishments become important personally.

But for the vain or just wanting to keep healthy & less prone to age related conditions & diseases, one will keep in shape or get in shape.

Looking good for one's age is about all you can do.

I had 10k worth of crowns done on my teeth- so that's one less problem hopefully. My bifocals are cute looking.
But I absolutely will refuse that hearing aid when the time comes!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back