Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A world of want

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hello I'm Chris and I am so sick to death of this world of want. everyone I meet is in want of something, like want of new clothes, want of new possessions, want of new houses, want of new entertainment, want of more money, want of a better job, want of more friends and the list continues.

Want want want and more want.

Aren't you just sick of it all.

Good morning electricaluser, and welcome to our Christian forums.
I reckon the want in my life at this moment is to shower since I just got up,
and then start breakfast. Need sometimes surpasses want requiring a
solution so as to sustain me until my next hunger pang. Trouble is that
tomorrow will be repeating itself, satisfaction is fleeting, and I'll again want
more. Any solutions? :shrug

Are you in some privileged over consumer materialistic society? Maybe it's time for a holiday into the third world where you will find that actually sometimes the people who have the least and just their bare essentials are actually the happiest. I know every time I go to the states I am just horrified by the massive consumer culture and associated wastefulness or any big wealthy city where there is rarely need just a desire to keep up with the Joneses. Anyway if you're sick of it, take a holiday and get away from it all is my suggestion :yes And as Eugene pointed out often wants are justified...but I'm assuming you were insinuating people being constantly unsatisfied and never able to be fulfilled kind of wanting...just reflects how much they need God to fill their perpetual voids!

Are you in some privileged over consumer materialistic society? Maybe it's time for a holiday into the third world where you will find that actually sometimes the people who have the least and just their bare essentials are actually the happiest. I know every time I go to the states I am just horrified by the massive consumer culture and associated wastefulness or any big wealthy city where there is rarely need just a desire to keep up with the Joneses. Anyway if you're sick of it, take a holiday and get away from it all is my suggestion :yes And as Eugene pointed out often wants are justified...but I'm assuming you were insinuating people being constantly unsatisfied and never able to be fulfilled kind of wanting...just reflects how much they need God to fill their perpetual voids!
I was brought up with all the fine wants the world has to offer and it almost killed my soul.

Minimalist lifestyle can often be the best, lol I found when I was just having one bag travelling I actually didn't want or miss my entire house of STUFF at all...you don't realise how little you actually need until you do something like that :)

Minimalist lifestyle can often be the best, lol I found when I was just having one bag travelling I actually didn't want or miss my entire house of STUFF at all...you don't realise how little you actually need until you do something like that :)
I have lived with less.

Psalm 23v1
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Hi Electricuser. I see you have listed yourself as a non-christian so I don't know how much you have studied the Christian scriptures or are aware of their sometimes confusing meanings due to translation and cultural difference problems. Those things can cause a lot of misunderstanding even for long time Christians! In the case of Psalm 23, the word translated to the English "want" is the Hebrew "châsêr", which in this case is referring to a lack of something we need. The verse is saying that the Lord will provide for us so that we won't lack anything we need. It's not saying we shouldn't have any want (as in "desire") for anything. For Christians there's nothing wrong with desiring something for ourselves beyond our basic needs as long as we don't let that desire become greater than our desire to be followers of the Lord.

Hi Electricuser. I see you have listed yourself as a non-christian so I don't know how much you have studied the Christian scriptures or are aware of their sometimes confusing meanings due to translation and cultural difference problems. Those things can cause a lot of misunderstanding even for long time Christians! In the case of Psalm 23, the word translated to the English "want" is the Hebrew "châsêr", which in this case is referring to a lack of something we need. The verse is saying that the Lord will provide for us so that we won't lack anything we need. It's not saying we shouldn't have any want (as in "desire") for anything. For Christians there's nothing wrong with desiring something for ourselves beyond our basic needs as long as we don't let that desire become greater than our desire to be followers of the Lord.
Hello Obadiah,

I liked how you said desire, desire is a great thing because it goes two ways. But I see want as an enemy because it only goes one way, to always be in want and never desire to give. (What do you think?)

Hello Obadiah,

I liked how you said desire, desire is a great thing because it goes two ways. But I see want as an enemy because it only goes one way, to always be in want and never desire to give. (What do you think?)
I don't think that's what Psalm 23 is talking about. It's talking about God providing for us so we won't have a lack of the things we actually need, not a warning about not "wanting" anything. But yes, to always only want more for ourselves and never want to give to anyone else is a bad thing.

I don't think that's what Psalm 23 is talking about. It's talking about God providing for us so we won't have a lack of the things we actually need, not a warning about not "wanting" anything. But yes, to always only want more for ourselves and never want to give to anyone else is a bad thing.
And I would think since you're the Christian you would know more about Psalm 23.

Hello I'm Chris and I am so sick to death of this world of want. everyone I meet is in want of something, like want of new clothes, want of new possessions, want of new houses, want of new entertainment, want of more money, want of a better job, want of more friends and the list continues.

Want want want and more want.

Aren't you just sick of it all.

Hello sick to death. You will be dying soon anyway, as death and life are in the power of the tongue, and You will have what you say and believe. (Mark 11:23-24) So don't fret, keep being bitter and speaking your sick to death and it will be over soon enough.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Mike.

Hello sick to death. You will be dying soon anyway, as death and life are in the power of the tongue, and You will have what you say and believe. (Mark 11:23-24) So don't fret, keep being bitter and speaking your sick to death and it will be over soon enough.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Mike.
As I always say "If I am going to go to hell, then I may as well go to hell for my insanity than go there due to believing in someone else's."

Last edited:
As I always say "If I am going to go to hell, then I may as well go to hell for my insanity than go there due to believing in someone else's."

Hell is not a place you want to go, and joking about it is not cool either. People don't go to hell for insanity, they go for refusing the free and easy gift of the Lord Jesus. A very dumb thing to do.

Mike.

Hell is not a place you want to go, and joking about it is not cool either. People don't go to hell for insanity, they go for refusing the free and easy gift of the Lord Jesus. A very dumb thing to do.

Mike.
I am not joking Brother Mike, I think it's fair to say that in this kind of world you can not be sure who is sane or not, who knows the truth or not. So I think it's also fair to say that if I do go to hell then I'll be happier knowing I put myself there than knowing someone else put me there.

I am not joking Brother Mike, I think it's fair to say that in this kind of world you can not be sure who is sane or not, who knows the truth or not. So I think it's also fair to say that if I do go to hell then I'll be happier knowing I put myself there than knowing someone else put me there.

Ya, so there are crazy folks in the world, granted. However, Your the only one that decides if you go to hell or not. Believe on Jesus, make him Lord over your life, get in the Word of God and find out what things are new to you. It's really that easy.

A big problem with Christianity is that we preach a powerless gospel. We only have ourselves to blame. We say Jesus loves you, and you don't have to go to hell, and just accept him as Lord, repent for being human, and your done.

Scripture does not say the purpose of Jesus coming was to save you from being human and a sinner. He came to destroy the works of the devil in your life. There are real spiritual forces out there that would like nothing better than to just kill you and move onto the next guy.

Jesus came to heal the sick, cast out the devils, raise the dead, clean the lepers, cure the blind, and tell the poor they don't have to remain poor. Not spiritually or physically. The word Salvation in the Greek means to be protected and healed physically, and believers don't bother mentioning that to folks.

However, not all of us are like the rest, and I can promise you Jesus is real, the power of God's spoken Word is real, and You won't see folks getting healed in the name of Allah or any other god, but the name of Jesus is the only name given to men by which we can have this victory.

Mike.

Ya, so there are crazy folks in the world, granted. However, Your the only one that decides if you go to hell or not. Believe on Jesus, make him Lord over your life, get in the Word of God and find out what things are new to you. It's really that easy.

A big problem with Christianity is that we preach a powerless gospel. We only have ourselves to blame. We say Jesus loves you, and you don't have to go to hell, and just accept him as Lord, repent for being human, and your done.

Scripture does not say the purpose of Jesus coming was to save you from being human and a sinner. He came to destroy the works of the devil in your life. There are real spiritual forces out there that would like nothing better than to just kill you and move onto the next guy.

Jesus came to heal the sick, cast out the devils, raise the dead, clean the lepers, cure the blind, and tell the poor they don't have to remain poor. Not spiritually or physically. The word Salvation in the Greek means to be protected and healed physically, and believers don't bother mentioning that to folks.

However, not all of us are like the rest, and I can promise you Jesus is real, the power of God's spoken Word is real, and You won't see folks getting healed in the name of Allah or any other god, but the name of Jesus is the only name given to men by which we can have this victory.

Mike.
Brother Mike, I am glad you told me that.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back