Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

All about the virtues!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
All about the virtues!

Virtues are a supernatural help from God that help supply the defects of our fallen human nature!

The virtues of Jesus Christ!

Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope, & charity!

Faith:

Faith is an intellectual assent to a truth revealed by Christ and proposed by His holy church for our belief!

“Faith is the virtue by which we firmly believe all the truths God has revealed, on the word of God revealing them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived (John 20:29)”

Act of Faith
O my God, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I believe that Thy Divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived. Amen.

Hope:

“Hope is the virtue by which we firmly trust that God, who is all-powerful and faithful to His promises, will in His mercy give us eternal happiness and the means to obtain it (Romans 8:24-25)”

Act of Hope
O my God, relying on Thy almighty power and infinite mercy and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace, and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer. Amen.

Charity:

“Charity is the virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God” (deut. 6:5, 1 Corinthians 13:1-2 & 13:13
1 pet 4:8)

Act of Charity (Love)
O my God, I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because Thou art all good and worthy of all my love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured. Amen.

Cardinal or moral Virtues: Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance!

Prudence:

Prudence is the virtue that disposes practical reason to discern our true good in every circumstance and to choose the right means of achieving it.

Justice:

It is the moderation or mean between selfishness and selflessness – between having more and having less than one's fair share.

Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the “virtue of religion.” Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good.

Fortitude:

Fortitude is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good. It strengthens the resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles in the moral life. The virtue of fortitude enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions. It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause.

Temperance:

Temperance is defined as moderation or voluntary self-restraint in regards to food and drink, especially alcohol.

Christian Virtues:

Humility:

Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist, there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance.
—St. Augustine

Humility is truth! Any exaggeration either way, to belittle or to self-aggrandize is a violation of the virtue of humility.

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Moderation:

Avoiding extremes or excesses, restraint from excesses such as extravagant luxury or splurging, and restraint from rage or craving by practicing self-control.

Obedience:

Submission to proper authority.
To the will of God in all things, and proper authority established by God in the government, family, the workplace, and the authority of Christ exercised in Holy mother church.

Courage:

Choosing to do good, especially when that is most difficult. Courage most demands our respect when it incurs risk without selfish motivation. Courage is moral strength in the face of danger.

Generosity:

The virtue of being liberal in giving. Generosity is giving to another person something of yours as an act of freewill, without obligation.

Meekness:

A virtue that moderates anger and controls resentment toward others. It is finding strength through submission to the will God.

Honesty:

A virtue that seeks truthfulness, a respect for our neighbors property and goods, fair dealing, fidelity to promises.

Modesty:

A virtue of self control necessary for guarding purity, & chastity. A modest person dresses, speaks, and acts in a manner that supports and encourages purity and chastity, and not in as manner that would tempt or encourage sinful sexual behavior.

Modesty is an especially important virtue for women, for it moderates the desire to be seen and known in a sexual way, a lady must practice modesty and decorum at all times, a lady would never dress as a man, wearing pants or shorts, and modesty prevents all modes of perversion such a man wearing ladies underwear etc.

Modest behavior respects the boundaries of intimacy that are imbedded in our nature, by the natural law and the principles of sexual behavior laid out in Divine Revelation. Modesty ensures and supports purity of heart, a gift that enables us to see God’s plan for personal relationships, sexuality, and marriage.

Purity:

The virtue of benevolence—acting without any trace of evil or selfish motives. Intentions are pure only when they are free of self-interest, egoism, desire, envy, cruelty, spite, greed, malice, lust, trickery, and dishonesty.

Patience:

The ability to suffer in peace proclaiming always; “Thy will be done, and not mine”.

Perseverance:

Persistence, strength, growing in grace, remaining faithful to the end, Enduring.

Seven deadly sins:

Pride, anger, lust, gluttony, sloth, greed, envy.

Pride: self will, self interest, protest, rebellion, “I will not serve”.
Anger: hurt pride, “I am offended”.
Lust: improper sexuality.
Gluttony: lack of self control in regards food & drink, especially alcohol.
Sloth: lazy, self seeking, find you’re ease.
Greed: selfish desire for our neighbors goods.
Envy: despising the good our neighbor possesses.

Rebellion and Heresy is the fruit of pride.
Humility is truth, pride is error, and falsehood.
Faithfulness and obedience are the fruit of humility.

The truth will set you free, so false doctrine enslaves you in spiritual bondage and spiritual blindness
Jn 8:32

Examples: Saul in his pride thought he was acting righteously and doing the will of God with true and correct faith but when the blinding light of Christ appeared he recognized how deep was his bondage and spiritual blindness!

St. Joseph was a humble and obedience man whom scripture calls “just”!

The virtures are supernatural gifts, and helps from God that moderate, control, and eliminate the vices in the life of a Christian!

The Purpose of the gifts of the Holy Spirit?

Together with prayer and the virtues of Jesus Christ the gifts of the spirit supply for the defects of original sin and fallen human nature, with grace they enable us to subject the lower carnal passions unto the intellect and will and thereby accomplish the will of God!

The gifts of the spirit help produce the fruits of the spirit!

The gifts of the Holy Spirit:

Wisdom:
Understanding:
Counsel:
Knowledge:
Piety:
Fortitude:
Fear of the Lord:

Fruits of the spirit:

Love:
Joy:
Peace:
Patience:
Kindness:
Generosity:
Faithfulness:
Gentleness:
Self-control:

Let us seek the peace of Jesus Christ in truth and love.

I don’t accuse you of error so I will propose an accusation of error for both of us so we can examine our motives to see if we be in the virtues of Jesus Christ and not the vices of the father of lies!

So we can both find the truth and be set free and come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life not us. Jn 14:6

Rebellion and Heresy is the fruit of pride.
Humility is truth, pride is error, and falsehood.
Faithfulness and obedience are the fruit of humility.m

The truth will set us free, so false doctrine enslaves us in spiritual bondage and spiritual blindness
Jn 8:32

Examples: Saul in his pride thought he was acting righteously and doing the will of God with true and correct faith but when the blinding light of Christ appeared he recognized how deep was his bondage and spiritual blindness.

St. Joseph was a humble and obedience man whom scripture calls “just”.

Let us humbly seek the blinding light of Jesus Christ and truth with the Spirit kindling the fire of divine love!

Pride presumption and arrogance makes itself the arbiter of truth and not Christ and his church! Jn 14:6 1 Tim 3:15

The nature of pride is to protest and be in a constant state of rebellion

Jn 8:32 the truth shall make you free! So false doctrine shall hold you in bondage!

Spiritual blindness!

Saul thought he was doing the will of God and acting righteously with correct faith!

Then the risen Christ appeared!
The blinding light of truth prevailed!

Rather than violate the “golden rule”

Let us examine ourselves and see if our motive is the virtues of Jesus Christ, humility, meekness & charity
Matt 11:29 or the vices of pride, presumption, and arrogance.

Motive
Humility or pride
Obedience or disobedience
Meek or arrogance
Submission to proper authority or protest
Receive instruction or presumption

Scripture says we must be taught or instructed

Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Jn 20:21
Acts 8:31
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

The virtues of a true Christian are the virtues of Jesus Christ!

Take my yoke upon you, and learn ofme; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Lk 1:53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

1 Peter 5:5
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Matthew 23:12
And whosoever shall exalt himselfshall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Pride always protests:
Pride is always in rebellion:
Pride always says I know better, I can decide truth, I don’t need the church and her doctrine / sacraments:

Satan was the first Protestant!
Protested God Himself:
“I will not serve”!

Scripture never authorizes pride, presumption, or arrogance, protests or rebellion!

A Christian must practice the virtues of Jesus Christ!

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Humility always obeys, submits, is faithful, Thy will be done not mine!

Matthew 23:12
And whosoever shall exalt himselfshall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back