Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Americans and the British!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Seeker

Hi all, and peace be with you! Basically... I'm British. Born and raised! And I can't help but notice that most you guys are from across the pond as they say... Hellooo :wave

So have you noticed any difference between you lot and us (and am I the only one here? :chin)? I mean like, in the way people are! Of course, this subject entails a lot of stereotypes but it's all in good taste and - of COURSE - we know stereotypes aren't always true (we don't walk around in Britain with rotting teeth lol, look: :biggrin).

The first one which is very immediate to any Englishman who crosses the pond... you guys are LOUD! You're like our extrovert cousins! You speak loudly, behave loudly and play loudly! I was standing once watching a bunch of American guys laughing and rolling around - general loudness - while I was standing with my British friend observing and trying to appear very dignified LOL.

Haven't you been to British soccer game? :lol

Hahaha... You mean FOOTBALL :biggrin

The game where you use your foot... on the ball-shaped object...
Not the game where you use your hands... on the egg-shaped object.

Please rename your version handegg, then let us have our word back :yes

lol, engine under the bonnet. what about the dynamo? we dont call our alternators those. a dynamo is short for dynameter. that is used for measuring the power of a car.

You'll notice a huge difference in politics between Americans and almost the rest of the world.

If you say in England that a lady prefers to drive a car wearing pants, they will think of underpants; whereas North Americans will mean what in England is 'trousers'.

Then if you say that she keeps a change of pants in the trunk, in England the word for trunk is 'boot'. North Americans might then think: they must be some very big boots that she is wearing if she stuffs her pants in them (like Fawn Hall smuggled Colonel Oliver North's papers in her boots).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you say in England that a lady prefers to drive a car wearing pants, they will think of underpants; whereas North Americans will mean what in England is 'trousers'.

Then if you say that she keeps a change of pants in the trunk, in England the word for trunk is 'boot'. North Americans might then think: they must be some very big boots that she is wearing if she stuffs her pants in them (like Fawn Hall smuggled Colonel Oliver North's papers in her boots).

Haha, definitely! Although I must say our British English is being eroded by the influence of the American media monster! My ears feel like they're burning when I hear British kids say things like "sidewalk" (my spell-check considers that incorrect spelling :lol), "elevator" (for once our version is simpler - lift!), and "I'm good" (no, no, no!)! :biggrin

I find it sad the TV and the other world wide communications are eroding the differences between peoples.

Haha, definitely! Although I must say our British English is being eroded by the influence of the American media monster! My ears feel like they're burning when I hear British kids say things like "sidewalk" (my spell-check considers that incorrect spelling :lol), "elevator" (for once our version is simpler - lift!), and "I'm good" (no, no, no!)! :biggrin

:thumbsup

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back