Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

And where were you born?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Riverwolf

U.N. declares famine in Somalia; makes urgent appeal to save lives - CNN.com

I think about this alot.
Are our births planned or random?
An eternity ago when God thought of me, did he choose the USA? And if so, Why?
What about the people in these pictures? If this was planned for them, why?
Why ask why you might say?
These people and there are millions of them, wonder if they will eat today or have water to drink.
If I did EVERYTHING that I could possibly do, it would not even put a dent in the problem.
If everyone did only alittle, the problem would go away.
But we won't.
I bet none of these people are sitting around discussing if baptism is needed for their salvation, or the meaning of the root word in some obscure verse.
They just want to eat and not watch thier children starve.
And wishing God had put them somewhere else.

I think we call that perspective brother.

And BTW, I think your right and yes, I've pondered those same questions.

Thanks for sharing, and reminding us of the things we take for granted each and every day. :yes

Maybe I don't need a bigger barn...

Riverwolf, this is a great thread, and I think you might have done yourself a disservice by titling it the way you did. I glossed down the list of new posts, skipping this one a few times, because I thought it was just a general question about where we were born. I was born in Michigan and lived my whole life here, so I didn't think anyone would care to learn about that. :)

Why was I born in the U.S. at this time when we have so much relative abundance? I've thought about that, oh... a couple hundred times.

Interestingly, I've gone on a few short term (10 day) mission trips to some very poor parts of Brazil. It was very sad, but the people there were very inspiring. I came away wondering how much of a blessing it really is to live here. When you're clinging to the Lord for your next meal or breath, I believe you know how amazing it is to truly depend on the Lord each day for the next; what a blessing it is. This is something most people in the U.S. or any "wealthy" country really know nothing about.

But, yes, I've wondered often why I was born where and when I don't have to fear for starvation or disease every day. It's very humbling.

U.N. declares famine in Somalia; makes urgent appeal to save lives - CNN.com

I think about this alot.
Are our births planned or random?
An eternity ago when God thought of me, did he choose the USA? And if so, Why?
What about the people in these pictures? If this was planned for them, why?
Why ask why you might say?
These people and there are millions of them, wonder if they will eat today or have water to drink.
If I did EVERYTHING that I could possibly do, it would not even put a dent in the problem.
If everyone did only alittle, the problem would go away.
But we won't.
I bet none of these people are sitting around discussing if baptism is needed for their salvation, or the meaning of the root word in some obscure verse.
They just want to eat and not watch thier children starve.
And wishing God had put them somewhere else.

Scary Brother. I had these same thoughts today reading that same story. I could not get over this picture of a young bewildered looking mother holding her starving child. unbelievable. What compounds this problem is the infighting within that region. Man's inhumanity to man, and we have people today asking where God is? ....seriously! Where are we?

_325543_famine300.jpg

ethiopian_Famine_1984.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born in Michigan and lived my whole life here, so I didn't think anyone would care to learn about that.

Most likely they don't.
My father was born in Detroit.
So was Alice Cooper.

My Dad, Alice, and you, must have had enough to eat as none of you died from hunger.

I commend you on Brazil!

Scary Brother. I had these same thoughts today reading that same story. I could not get over this picture of a young bewildered looking mother holding her starving child. unbelievable. What compounds this problem is the infighting within that region. Man's inhumanity to man, and we have people today asking where God is? ....seriously! Where are we?

_325543_famine300.jpg

ethiopian_Famine_1984.jpg

Thank you for sharing.

I've been meaning to get back to this thread as news develops in this region of the world.

Right now relief efforts are being stopped by power and warring factions in this region. The African Union needs to take charge, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. The food and medical relief is available and willing, but they can't get into the region very well. These people are being allowed to starve systematically.

The terrorist/"freedom fighting" groups in the area, like Al-Shabaab, either will not allow aid workers in, or the governments will not allow them to go due to inherent dangers and political backlash; as the US experienced during the Clinton administration. When aid does get in some areas the food is often stolen to be used as currency.

Christians have done a lot of missionary work in Africa and still continue to do so, but Muslims have done something else in the area...taken political control. I'm I blaming Islam? Well, I'm not saying Muslims are the problem in general, but look at the groups in the region who hold weapons, steal food aid, and have systematically wiped out people in areas such as Darfu.

Right now to really help the people of Africa, you need more than just a box of bibles, medical supplies and bags of grain....you need weapons also and the will to use them.

But....to answer the main question....I was born in Odessa TX. Small town right in the middle of Oil and cattle country. If you've seen the movie "Friday Night Lights" ...that's it. Just a hick town of hard working men and families. I could ride my bike from one end to the other. Tumble weeds, jack rabbits, horn-toads and rattle snakes. The whole town was laid out in a perfect grid, and for boys, you'd better man up pretty quick and prove yourself somehow, or you'll be given a title. Lived there until I was 10, and often wishing God put me somewhere else. :lol

But, where we are and what we experience is part of God's over all plan. People often ask where is God when bad things happen in this fallen world; things like starving people, but God is where he's always been. He's asking the same question of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been meaning to get back to this thread...
He's asking the same question of us.

Yes, and thank you like all the others who would like to answer but would prefer this thread just go away. I mean, why should we care that we just bought a new house or car or TV or piece of clothing that we did not really need?
I mean really!

Jesus does not say we can't have our own stuff!
Jesus never said we were wrong in our possesions.
Or did he?

Is he asking the same question of us?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back