Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are mistakes reversible?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Classik

Let us look at the negative side of Galatians 6: 7&8

Galatians 6 NKJV
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reapcorruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

--
--
Some people have voluntarily disobeyed God and are caught in a trap.
Whilst in this trap, I want to know your views:

Are mistakes reversible, or is it something permanent?
Ta!

Some people have voluntarily disobeyed God and are caught in a trap.
Whilst in this trap, I want to know your views:

Are mistakes reversible, or is it something permanent?
Ta!

:lol...No. They are heal-able, they are changeable, they are learn-able...but most of all, they are forgivable. :) we can be thankful for this because with out it, we have no hope for the "mistakes" we have made, we are making, and will make.

:lol...No. They are heal-able, they are changeable, they are learn-able...but most of all, they are forgivable. :) we can be thankful for this because with out it, we have no hope for the "mistakes" we have made, we are making, and will make.

This is indeed lovely, Danus :yes I love how you put it heal-able, changeable, learn-able, forgivable. The most interesting of all is that God is always willing to forgive. (There are some cases when He stops at just forgiving you - maybe it has to do with Gal 6:7&8 )
-
-
But how does it take care of these illustrations (I have people in pains):

A person had the opportunity to study Law or go to school or get any good education. The person rather never showed interest. He had gone round the whole universe, partying up and down, running after the opposite sex, taking illegal drugs etc.
I assume the parents were very rich. Something happens: the parents die. This guys finally recovers from shock.

--
Now he has no more money to continue with his 'rough' life. He finally comes to know the Lord. By this time he is well advanced in age.

-
-
No one employs him. Every company tells him to get a CV.
Later he is able to find a job that offers him a pittance. It is not enough for him.
++

He lives in regret! Women try to avoid him - they see him as a failure and would not think of marrying him.

-
-
A woman lived a bad life. Now she is advanced in age. Her problems are all about her: infertility, sickness etc.

This is the area I was going. I have people like this everywhere! They keep saying: HAD I KNOWN.
These are mistakes.
It is so painful when I see them groan.
Is there a way to cause the minute hand to regress just for a second in order to bring a change? :sad

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. You make a mistakes its not going away. Well not unless you can make a time machine and go back in time and change that mistake without simultaneously ripping a hole in the space-time-continuum thingy.

Nope. You make a mistakes its not going away. Well not unless you can make a time machine and go back in time and change that mistake without simultaneously ripping a hole in the space-time-continuum thingy.

Ta!
And a way out?

I think sometimes they are. I think its the World that teaches us that mistakes always haunt you forever and ever and there's never any "un-doing" of what's been done.

Personal example: I committed a crime against a family member. I should have been either convicted and given some sort of punishment--as a first time offender for a "High Misdemeanor," it probably would have been a lengthy probation period-or I should have been sent to a state mental hospital for several years. Neither happened. I was allowed to go to a Christian Rehab in another state for 1 year, do some additional counseling and volunteer work, and get the charges dropped and the arrest record expunged. I get along with my family better now than I did before. People in my small town, who never really liked me to begin with, now leave me alone.

I didn't "undo" the mistake--that's been done--but God allowed me to escape the usual consequences. Christian Rehab (it was more of a work camp, but whatever...) certainly wasn't fun, but it was helpful. I suffered for my mistake, but in a limited fashion.

Similarly, God sometimes reverses the ill effects of sin for others, too. At my Christian rehab, there was a great counselor who had been addicted to cocaine (mainly used the IV route) for 30+ years. At one point, he was diagnosed with Hep C. A couple years later, his liver was in good condition and there wasn't a sign of Hep C. I've read about homosexual and drug-abusing Christians who tested positive for HIV and for whom death seemed imminent. One man I read about (don't have a link, sorry) has been HIV+ for over 15 years and has never needed the antiretroviral medication. Did God reverse ALL of his mistakes? No. But did God make him suffer ALL the consequences? No. This man gave up his promiscuity and homosexuality for Christ, and God saw fit to, if not heal his HIV, then at least stabilize it for a long time, so AIDS isn't a major concern for him.

Another personal example: I used to pop pills like crazy. Then I quit. Before I was a Christian, I had to go to a mental hospital b/c I had a psychotic break. This particular mental hospital does brain scans, since they're connected to a medical school (and also because I'd been ht on the head during a botched mugging the night before I was put in the hospital). My brain is apparently **fried**. It was so bad that when I woke up from sedation (they had to sedate me b/c I was being violent), a nurse said to me "I've seen your brain scan. I bet you have a 75 IQ. You're supposed to be a vegetable." My psychiatrist said that I "seemed to have some sort of 'transcendent intelligence'."

To be honest, I wasn't very smart at that point. I was pretty burned out. But after Christian Rehab and some mental health services, my mental functioning got better. My last counselor told me--without me asking, mind you--that I was "definitely above average" and that I should do something "mentally stimulating." Did God let me fry my brain w/o any consequences? No, definitely not. I went through years of being stupid. People would talk about how stupid I'd made myself (small town, everybody knows everybody's business). I was soundly rejected by my peers and unable to do much of anything. But in the end, I was restored to health and although I'll never get those years back, I have been healed and--just as important--I've learned my lesson: drugs are bad, mkay.

This is the area I was going. I have people like this everywhere! They keep saying: HAD I KNOWN.
These are mistakes.
Is there a way to cause the minute hand to regress just for a second in order to bring a change? :sad

The world does not forgive the way God forgives, but that does not matter.

:biggrin dude, you are funny. God alone can.
Have you seen these movies: Heroes, dead zone? I am currently enjoying the second one. Jonny Smith is fantastic!

I think sometimes they are. I think its the World that teaches us that mistakes always haunt you forever and ever and there's never any "un-doing" of what's been done.

Personal example: I committed a crime against a family member. I should have been either convicted and given some sort of punishment--as a first time offender for a "High Misdemeanor," it probably would have been a lengthy probation period-or I should have been sent to a state mental hospital for several years. Neither happened. I was allowed to go to a Christian Rehab in another state for 1 year, do some additional counseling and volunteer work, and get the charges dropped and the arrest record expunged. I get along with my family better now than I did before. People in my small town, who never really liked me to begin with, now leave me alone.

I didn't "undo" the mistake--that's been done--but God allowed me to escape the usual consequences. Christian Rehab (it was more of a work camp, but whatever...) certainly wasn't fun, but it was helpful. I suffered for my mistake, but in a limited fashion.

Similarly, God sometimes reverses the ill effects of sin for others, too. At my Christian rehab, there was a great counselor who had been addicted to cocaine (mainly used the IV route) for 30+ years. At one point, he was diagnosed with Hep C. A couple years later, his liver was in good condition and there wasn't a sign of Hep C. I've read about homosexual and drug-abusing Christians who tested positive for HIV and for whom death seemed imminent. One man I read about (don't have a link, sorry) has been HIV+ for over 15 years and has never needed the antiretroviral medication. Did God reverse ALL of his mistakes? No. But did God make him suffer ALL the consequences? No. This man gave up his promiscuity and homosexuality for Christ, and God saw fit to, if not heal his HIV, then at least stabilize it for a long time, so AIDS isn't a major concern for him.

Another personal example: I used to pop pills like crazy. Then I quit. Before I was a Christian, I had to go to a mental hospital b/c I had a psychotic break. This particular mental hospital does brain scans, since they're connected to a medical school (and also because I'd been ht on the head during a botched mugging the night before I was put in the hospital). My brain is apparently **fried**. It was so bad that when I woke up from sedation (they had to sedate me b/c I was being violent), a nurse said to me "I've seen your brain scan. I bet you have a 75 IQ. You're supposed to be a vegetable." My psychiatrist said that I "seemed to have some sort of 'transcendent intelligence'."

To be honest, I wasn't very smart at that point. I was pretty burned out. But after Christian Rehab and some mental health services, my mental functioning got better. My last counselor told me--without me asking, mind you--that I was "definitely above average" and that I should do something "mentally stimulating." Did God let me fry my brain w/o any consequences? No, definitely not. I went through years of being stupid. People would talk about how stupid I'd made myself (small town, everybody knows everybody's business). I was soundly rejected by my peers and unable to do much of anything. But in the end, I was restored to health and although I'll never get those years back, I have been healed and--just as important--I've learned my lesson: drugs are bad, mkay.

This is exceptionally encouraging, Empowered.
We have a great God.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.Jer. 31:33,34 KJV

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. Heb. 8:10-13 KJV

But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, this is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. Heb. 10:12-18 KJV

These are mistakes.

Maybe therein lies a problem. Whether mistakes are reversible or not, our forcus should rather be, "Because I now know . . ."

We cannot changed what we did, But we can let Him change the person who did it.

Whether the minute hand can regress or not, that is above the pay grade I choose to have. HAHA

As for, "in order to bring a change?" Definitely! Just reading some of the testimonies in this thread proves that.

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

Humor aside it brings up the question:

"Do you really want mistakes to be reversible?"

Obviously right after you make them of course you want to take them back and sure there are maybe a few exceptionally terrible mistakes that one will never find peace with but I'd say that for the most part mistakes are not that bad in the long run. You learn from them and chances are you'll end up laughing about them down the road a ways.

Frankly if I could go back and take away and of my mistakes I think I'd just leave everything the same because I like where am I and who I am and it's the mistakes in life that really make you who you are because those are the things people look at to see how you react.

God forgives all our transgressions and I think He probably sticks inevitable mistakes in our way so He can see how we navigate them. Do we cover them up or do we blame them on someone else? Or maybe we suck it up and say "Yeah that's my bad."

You can make some poor choices in life and recover, be forgiven and go on. However, the older you are, the more difficult it is to recover.

We both lived a good life, did what we should and then I was hit with health problems that left me unable to work and on SSD. This cut our income substantially. A few years later, my husband was in the same boat, plus the recession hit. We had saved, but had to cash everything out at a 70% loss in order to keep on going. We receive under $100/month from being able to have my insurance covered and other benefits. With my medical insurance premiums and basic cost-of-living, we are substantially below that magic number so we live paycheck to almost paycheck.

Were we younger, he might be able to retrain and get another job, although we happen to live in the poorest county of the poorest state :sad and the jobs just are not available and where they are is simply not cost effective, because of the gas prices and after training, he would be at least 62 and not a desirable age for hiring.

Now, we just thank God for what we do have and go on with life. He got a deer last night which will help fill our freezer and we got an excellent deal last week to help fill our pantry. God does provide.

Slow cooked venison over polenta ! some good eating!

Yea mistakes can be reversed sorta. The first one that comes to mind for me is over eating..... The pounds we can put on over the holidays ( which in this house tends to be the football season:sad ) they will come off but its not easy...

My S-i-L led a hard life through Salvation and rehab he did the 12 steps. The restitution was hard for him. The hard part was those he could not repay. Doing what he could to undo the mistakes/crimes was very freeing for him.

I am beginning to see two things here: the negative result of disobedience and the negative result of unconsciously taking the wrong step.
(For the purpose of this Thread, let's call them 'mistakes')
--
--
Pard, I do not want to believe there are such things as little or big mistakes. :)
I know we should consider both the 'act' and the 'result'. The 'act' usually seems insignificant. However, the result is usually dreadful and bigger.

-Adam and Eve just made that ignorant (maybe) mistake and the whole world became a mess.
-Abraham made a single mistake and the world became a house of chaos.
-Lucifer made a ...I rather not mention him

+
+
#A single mistake made by a pharmacist kills thousands.
#A single mistake made in an aircraft designs kills a hundred.
#A chemists mixes A + B to produce a C. But a grain of D ( as tiny as 3/4 the head of a pin) that enters C could set an entire lab on fire.
#Just that smallest fluid t that leaves the body of a male is sufficient enough to get a virgin girl pregnant.
#Just that little closing of a switch detonates a bomb.

Everything is 'just that little this and that' that brings about a great change.
++++I remember when we broke some eggs. I confessed I was guilty. My little brother said: 'It was a little touch :)++++
-
-
Then the clock. If God permits it to regress, I'd just bring it back to the time of Adam and Eve.
You know what? I WOULD skin the devil alive :angry

Could life turn into a chemical reaction...make your mistake and go back to the lab...just do a backward reaction and get all back:biggrin...though not all forwards processes are easily reversible :sad. Some aren't:confused

You can make some poor choices in life and recover, be forgiven and go on. However, the older you are, the more difficult it is to recover.

We both lived a good life, did what we should and then I was hit with health problems that left me unable to work and on SSD. This cut our income substantially. A few years later, my husband was in the same boat, plus the recession hit. We had saved, but had to cash everything out at a 70% loss in order to keep on going. We receive under $100/month from being able to have my insurance covered and other benefits. With my medical insurance premiums and basic cost-of-living, we are substantially below that magic number so we live paycheck to almost paycheck.

Were we younger, he might be able to retrain and get another job, although we happen to live in the poorest county of the poorest state :sad and the jobs just are not available and where they are is simply not cost effective, because of the gas prices and after training, he would be at least 62 and not a desirable age for hiring.

Now, we just thank God for what we do have and go on with life. He got a deer last night which will help fill our freezer and we got an excellent deal last week to help fill our pantry. God does provide.

No word to qualify this. I manage to say: GOD IS REAL

Slow cooked venison over polenta ! some good eating!

Yea mistakes can be reversed sorta. The first one that comes to mind for me is over eating..... The pounds we can put on over the holidays ( which in this house tends to be the football season:sad ) they will come off but its not easy...

My S-i-L led a hard life through Salvation and rehab he did the 12 steps. The restitution was hard for him. The hard part was those he could not repay. Doing what he could to undo the mistakes/crimes was very freeing for him.

Superb...and I know

Back