Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are We Built to Run Barefoot?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Are We Built to Run Barefoot?

08Physed-blog480.jpg

At a recent symposium of the American College of Sports Medicine’s annual meeting in Denver, cutely titled “Barefoot Running: So Easy, a Caveman Did It!,†a standing-room-only crowd waited expectantly as a slide flashed up posing this question: Does barefoot running increase or decrease skeletal injury risk?
“The answer,†said Dr. Stuart J. Warden, an associate professor of physical therapy at Indiana University, “is that it probably does both.â€

Barefoot running remains as popular and contentious a topic among exercise scientists as it is among athletes, even though it is practiced by only a tiny subset of American runners. These early-adopter runners, however, tend to be disproportionately enthusiastic and evangelical. Many cite the best seller “Born to Run,†by Christopher McDougall, which touts barefoot running, and claim that barefoot running cured them of various running-related injuries and will do so for their fellow athletes. “There are people who are convinced that barefoot runners never get injured,†said Daniel E. Lieberman, a professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard who runs barefoot himself and spoke on the topic during last week’s symposium.

But in the past year, anecdotal evidence has mounted that some runners, after kicking off their shoes, have wound up hobbled by newly acquired injuries. These maladies, instead of being prevented by barefoot running, seem to have been induced by it.
So what really happens to a modern runner when he or she trains without shoes or in the lightweight, amusingly named “barefoot running shoes†that are designed to mimic the experience of running with naked feet? That question, although pressing, cannot, as the newest science makes clear, easily be answered.
Most of us, after all, grew up wearing shoes. Shoes alter how we move. An interesting review article published this year in The Journal of Foot and Ankle Research found that if you put young children in shoes, their steps become longer than when they are barefoot, and they land with more force on their heels.

Similarly, when Dr. Lieberman traveled recently to Kenya for a study published last year in Nature, he found that Kenyan schoolchildren who lived in the city and habitually wore shoes ran differently from those who lived in the country and were almost always barefoot. Asked to run over a force platform that measured how their feet struck the ground, a majority of the urban youngsters landed on their heels and generated significant ground reaction forces or, in layman’s terms, pounding. The barefoot runners typically landed closer to the front of their feet and lightly, without generating as much apparent force.

Based on such findings, it would seem as if running barefoot should certainly be better for the body, because less pounding should mean less wear and tear. But there are problems with that theory. The first is that the body stubbornly clings to what it knows. Just taking off your shoes does not mean you’ll immediately attain proper barefoot running form, Dr. Lieberman told me. Many newbie barefoot runners continue to stride as if they were in shoes, landing heavily on their heels.

The result can be an uptick in the forces moving through the leg, Dr. Warren pointed out, since you’re creating as much force with each stride as before, but no longer have the cushioning of the shoe to help dissipate it. Most barefoot runners eventually adjust their stride, he and the other presenters agreed, landing closer to the front of their feet — since landing hard on a bare heel hurts — but in the interim, he said, “barefoot running might increase injury risk.â€

Even when a barefoot runner has developed what would seem to be ideal form, the force generated may be unfamiliar to the body and potentially injurious, as another study presented at last week’s conference suggests. For the study, conducted at the Biomechanics Laboratory at the University of Massachusetts, runners strode across a force plate, deliberately landing either on the forefoot or on the heel. When heel striking, the volunteers generated the expected thudding ground reaction forces; when they landed near the front of the foot, the force was still there, though it generally had a lower frequency, or hertz.

Earlier research has shown that high-frequency forces tend to move up the body through a person’s bones. Lower-frequency forces typically move through muscles and soft tissue. So shifting to a forefoot running style, as people do when running barefoot, may lessen your risk for a stress fracture, and up your chances of developing a muscle strain or tendinitis.
So where does all of this new science leave the runner who’s been considering whether to ditch the shoes? The “evidence is not concrete for or against barefoot or shod running,†said Allison H. Gruber, a doctoral candidate at the University of

Massachusetts and lead author of the hertz study. “If one is not experiencing any injuries, it is probably best to not change what you’re doing.â€
On the other hand, if you do have a history of running-related injuries or simply want to see what it feels like to run as most humans have over the millenniums, then “start slowly,†said Dr. Lieberman. Remove your shoes for the last mile of your usual run and ease into barefoot running over a period of weeks, he suggests, and take care to scan the pavement or wear barefoot running shoes or inexpensive moccasins to prevent lacerations.
And pay attention to form. “Don’t overstride,†he said. Your stride should be shorter when you are running barefoot than when you are in shoes. “Don’t lean forward. Land lightly.â€
On this point, he and all of the scientists agree. Humans ay have been built to run barefoot, “but we did not evolve to run barefoot with bad form.â€
nytimes

I'll answer this simply: We were meant to have shoes and walk instead of running. The reason this question is asked to begin with is because those who ask it assume everything from an evolutionary stance. God made us deliberately to not be able to walk on sharp things unless we had protection, in which He gave us a brain to think of shoes. Animals do not have such brains so God was merciful enough to give them hooves or whatever.

So, you can stop your jogging and things that exercisoholics do ---- after all I (and probably you) NEVER seen a smiling jogger. That's because they "struggle" through their exercises thinking that "it's good for them" while doctors laugh making more money off of the knee surgery they need from the damage they do to themselves and for certain joggers do not outlive anyone else. As a matter of fact, I've seen a proliferation of joggers dropping over dead suddenly in this generation probably due to another myth, a healthy "low salt" and "low fat" diet.

One gets all the exercise they need if they walk from place to place and do honest, outdoor work like a farmer does. That's what God created us to do. Not to run around aimlessly "for our health".

See? If people are godly they see the truth like I'm presenting instead of believing stupid stuff you hear in the media. I'm serious. I'm not seeing longevity increasing but decreasing in spite of the health craze. That's because they believe ungodly health ideas which are counterproductive.

I'll answer this simply: We were meant to have shoes and walk instead of running. The reason this question is asked to begin with is because those who ask it assume everything from an evolutionary stance. God made us deliberately to not be able to walk on sharp things unless we had protection, in which He gave us a brain to think of shoes. Animals do not have such brains so God was merciful enough to give them hooves or whatever.

So, you can stop your jogging and things that exercisoholics do ---- after all I (and probably you) NEVER seen a smiling jogger. That's because they "struggle" through their exercises thinking that "it's good for them" while doctors laugh making more money off of the knee surgery they need from the damage they do to themselves and for certain joggers do not outlive anyone else. As a matter of fact, I've seen a proliferation of joggers dropping over dead suddenly in this generation probably due to another myth, a healthy "low salt" and "low fat" diet.

One gets all the exercise they need if they walk from place to place and do honest, outdoor work like a farmer does. That's what God created us to do. Not to run around aimlessly "for our health".

See? If people are godly they see the truth like I'm presenting instead of believing stupid stuff you hear in the media. I'm serious. I'm not seeing longevity increasing but decreasing in spite of the health craze. That's because they believe ungodly health ideas which are counterproductive.
"They" are predicting that my generation will be the first to not live as long or longer than their parents.

Scary stuff.

[FONT=arial,helvatica][SIZE=-1]I just had to think of this:

1 Timothy 4:
7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Jesus finished His work on earth at the age of 33 and a bit. In His day He could have lived until 50. But look at how much He accomplished. It is not about trying to live as long as one can, it's about surrendering your life to God to do the work for God while it is day time, because the day will come when no one can work.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvatica][SIZE=-1]I just had to think of this:

1 Timothy 4:
7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Jesus finished His work on earth at the age of 33 and a bit. In His day He could have lived until 50. But look at how much He accomplished. It is not about trying to live as long as one can, it's about surrendering your life to God to do the work for God while it is day time, because the day will come when no one can work.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I agree. While I think that God wants us to keep our bodies healthy, it is clear that that is not to be our first priority.

I've seen plenty of people smiling when jogging. When you see people jogging together a lot of times they'll be talking and having a good time. I don't see people running by themselves and smiling but I also don't see people walking by themselves and smiling. I disagree that when runners are not smiling it is because they are struggling through their exercises. Many times, they are focused or thinking about something while they run. Running is going to be hard and a struggle when you start, just like anything. Once you get to where you can run even just 5 or 6 miles, running becomes relaxing. Diets can be bad, but there are still many diets that are good and help one to feel much better throughout the day.

God did not create us all to do outdoor work. If one does do more manual labor type work, then sure there is no need to run or do some sort of exercise, but not everyone does that type of work and not everyone is called to that type of work. I know many people who were called to be engineers and such. Many companies pay their employees to work out because by doing so their employees do not miss as many days of work due to illness.

Its a bit foolish to associate the health craze with the decrease in longevity. If you can provide statistical evidence that there is a direct link between the two that's one thing but when you also have many other factors in today's society that did not exist in the past, such as a huge increase in obesity and fast-food intake, then you can't simply blame one factor for a situation. I could say that there is a decrease in longevity in spite of more people going to college now. Both may be true but that doesn't make them necessarily associated. To assume so is a rhetorical fallacy, and suggests that you care more about proving your point then presenting the truth, whatever that may be.

funny. i breathe better when i do run or move. if what you say is true then the severe morbid obese coworkers shouldnt be breathing heavy in the sun as they do physical work.

and they are at least 200 lbs overweight. one doenst need to run to get in shape and and while kinda off topic.my wife reduced her cholesterol with no meds by eating better and also walking. my asthma doesnt bother me when i wrestle. i feel better when i do exercise and wish i did more. i miss the days of running 6 plus miles in my youth and being able to spar for at least thirty minutes.

i dont have time to get to that level but come do what i do and see how in shape or out of shape you are. i have a friend who quit smoking and pot and struggles and he will get in shape soon.

I've seen plenty of people smiling when jogging. When you see people jogging together a lot of times they'll be talking and having a good time. I don't see people running by themselves and smiling but I also don't see people walking by themselves and smiling. I disagree that when runners are not smiling it is because they are struggling through their exercises. Many times, they are focused or thinking about something while they run. Running is going to be hard and a struggle when you start, just like anything. Once you get to where you can run even just 5 or 6 miles, running becomes relaxing. Diets can be bad, but there are still many diets that are good and help one to feel much better throughout the day.

Well then try running without shoes and see if you still smile. :lol

Had it not been for the fall, we would not have needed any clothes, and that includes shoes. Like our bodies, shoes is symbolic of the walk we do in the Lord as we cannot walk on our own without any help.

Although I'll admit my other comments may have been a bit off topic, you cannot disprove anything else I said statistically.

Had it not been for the fall, we would not have needed any clothes, and that includes shoes. Like our bodies, shoes is symbolic of the walk we do in the Lord as we cannot walk on our own without any help.

I never even addressed the issue of shoes, I simply addressed running.

Although I'll admit my other comments may have been a bit off topic, you cannot disprove anything else I said statistically.

You're probably right, but that's because statistical analysis of that claim has probably not been performed since it such a ridiculous claim. I bet I could statistically support that people who are obese die at a younger age than those who aren't. It is not my duty to disprove what you claim, it is your duty to prove it. I could make the claim that I can drink bleach without being harmed and you would not be able to disprove that, but that wouldn't make it true. It would be duty to prove that claim. Anyone can make claims, but to make ridiculous claims and then use rhetorical fallacies to support those claims is damaging to your ethos.

i used to walk barefoot as a teen and up to till i joined the army. i could with my callous feet walk over crab claws and crush them and not be cut.

exercise if done in someway is rigourous does one smile when one lifts a heavy weight? try singing while running that will get you.

I never even addressed the issue of shoes, I simply addressed running.

You're probably right, but that's because statistical analysis of that claim has probably not been performed since it such a ridiculous claim. I bet I could statistically support that people who are obese die at a younger age than those who aren't. It is not my duty to disprove what you claim, it is your duty to prove it. I could make the claim that I can drink bleach without being harmed and you would not be able to disprove that, but that wouldn't make it true. It would be duty to prove that claim. Anyone can make claims, but to make ridiculous claims and then use rhetorical fallacies to support those claims is damaging to your ethos.

You don't know enough about me yet to know all the counter-medical claims I made, and yes I back them up. It's just that I'm being redundant so I don't cite my proofs every time since people generally know where I'm coming from.

So if I say that "eating less salt does not cut heart attack risks" (or affect your blood pressure) for example, you can bet this is not "rhetorical fallacies to support my claims" My first source is the bible, but then once in awhile I come up with some scientists that come to the same conclusion, albeit in the minority (just as bible believers are in the minority thinking it's a book of myths).

You'll get to know me as the medical/pharmaceutical world basher, and also the Microsoft basher. In both cases, I don't like things that promote sickness or get sick (viruses) all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't know enough about me yet to know all the counter-medical claims I made, and yes I back them up. It's just that I'm being redundant so I don't cite my proofs every time since people generally know where I'm coming from.

So if I say that "eating less salt does not cut heart attack risks" (or affect your blood pressure) for example, you can bet this is not "rhetorical fallacies to support my claims" My first source is the bible, but then once in awhile I come up with some scientists that come to the same conclusion, albeit in the minority (just as bible believers are in the minority thinking it's a book of myths).

You'll get to know me as the medical/pharmaceutical world basher, and also the Microsoft basher. In both cases, I don't like things that promote sickness or get sick (viruses) all the time.

Concluding that longevity of life is decreasing because of the health craze is a rhetorical fallacy because you are using the argument A is happening and B is happening, therefore B must be as a result of A. It would be the same as me saying the Christian population of my city rose this year, the amount of deaths from drug overdoses increased in my city this year; therefore, Christians must cause people to use drugs.

My issue with your first post was not against diets in general. I agree that some diets are unhealthy, but there are also diets that are healthy. My issue with your first post was your over-generalization of those who exercise and the purpose of exercise; and also the use of a cause and effect fallacy to make your point about diets.

Concluding that longevity of life is decreasing because of the health craze is a rhetorical fallacy because you are using the argument A is happening and B is happening, therefore B must be as a result of A. It would be the same as me saying the Christian population of my city rose this year, the amount of deaths from drug overdoses increased in my city this year; therefore, Christians must cause people to use drugs.

My issue with your first post was not against diets in general. I agree that some diets are unhealthy, but there are also diets that are healthy. My issue with your first post was your over-generalization of those who exercise and the purpose of exercise; and also the use of a cause and effect fallacy to make your point about diets.

I'm not one to believe something without evidence as I am into science and math. If I say something, there must be something to it. But the bible comes first. The premise of this article is from an evolutionary stance.

You don't know what you are talking about regarding me and just want to sound off, so it may be best to drop the attitude against me---- after all I did not initiate this addressing you specifically. You are analyzing me erroneously and I told you I have what it takes you back up what I say.

BTW, I am into health --- I probably take WAY more vitamins and minerals than you do. It's the pseudo-health craze and drugs I'm against.

Now.... back to the subject at hand.....

I'm not one to believe something without evidence as I am into science and math. If I say something, there must be something to it. But the bible comes first. The premise of this article is from an evolutionary stance.

You don't know what you are talking about regarding me and just want to sound off, so it may be best to drop the attitude against me---- after all I did not initiate this addressing you specifically. You are analyzing me erroneously and I told you I have what it takes you back up what I say.

BTW, I am into health --- I probably take WAY more vitamins and minerals than you do. It's the pseudo-health craze and drugs I'm against.

Now.... back to the subject at hand.....

I was not trying to sound off or have an attitude against you. I apologize if my writing came across that way.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back