Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Bad Days for Dogs got worse.:(

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

handy

Well, after having to take one of the cattle dogs into the vets for a deep gash sustained from getting kicked...

our house dog, goofy mutt dog, seems to have had stroke.

We're 70 miles away from the nearest emergency vet and frankly, I think the drive would make things worse anyway. We've got him as comfortable as we can...we gave him a tylenol to help with any pain and he seems to be resting OK.

I'll take him into our vet tomorrow...

He's 14 years old, not exactly a young'un...but, not exactly ready to let him go yet either. :sad

Thanks God's_gift.

It's been a long night. George the cattle dog has never really been in a house before. He isn't doing anything bad per se...he's just really nervous and is constantly walking around. He's only sleeping in these little 5-10 minute naps and then is up walking all over the house. Now that I'm sitting here by the office desk, he seems calmer...perhaps because he's away from the outside doors.

Antony, the goofy-mutt dog, did get up on his own and walk into the computer room here with me. He bumped into a few things, and fell rather than laid down, but he's in his usual spot for when I'm on the computer and seems calm enough.

There's a recliner right here by the desk. Since even George seems calmer in here, perhaps I'll shut the door and turn out the lights and see if we can all get some sleep.

Well, it looks like our goofy-mutt dog, Antony is going to be with us a little longer.

I had to call Steve home from work today, because the poor old boy was staggering around and vomiting. I figured it was time, and I have to admit, I was just too emotional to be up to driving him the 40+ miles to our regular vet to have him put down.

So, while Steve made his way home...an hour and 30 minute drive... I watch my poor old friend vomit blood and stagger around. Broke my heart.

Then, by the time Steve got home here, Antony seemed to be feeling a lot better. He had stopped vomiting and once the vomiting stopped, he stopped listing and staggering. When Steve got home he was all perky dog ears and wagging tail.

Steve took him to the vet's anyway and the news isn't great.... He's an old dog. He's bleeding in his stomach, most likely caused by a tumor. His kidneys are also beginning to fail. He's much too old for surgery.

However, after some shots from the vet and a little re-hydration, he's down in the house in town, comfortable and very happy.

Steve could tell the vet's opinion was that it was "time"... but, we've decided that as long as he isn't suffering, as long as he's alert and happy, and as long as he doesn't need medical attention, there is no need to put him down. It might be a matter of months or even weeks, but not today or tomorrow at least.

And for that, I'm glad.

As for the cattle doggie, George..... sigh... He's a good dog too, but he's not an indoor dog. Outside, he's a great dog. There have been times when my 14 year-old-daughter, George and his brother Spot, have moved our entire herd several pastures. He's good at what he does and it's a joy to watch him and Spot maneuver the cows. Getting kicked is an occupational hazard for him, and it was a bit of bad luck that somehow the fence got in the mix...but he does love doing what he does best.

What he doesn't do is stay indoors. So, while he's been in the house here allowing the gash to heal, he's lifted his leg, pooped on the floor (3 minutes after coming in for a walk), knocked over waste cans, eaten food off of plates, and is all over the furniture. I'm so used to Antony who is a dog of very good manners...that I'm kind of overwhelmed by it all. Fortunately, I've a trusty bottle of hydrogen peroxide to keep stains at bay and disinfect everything...

View attachment 2311 Steve and Antony...about a month or so ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Handy,

I'm glad your Antony was able to go home with you. When the time does come to part with him, it still won't be easy but at least there will be the comfort of knowing you were able to share more time with him.

Also, glad to hear your George wasn't incapacitated greatly by his injury. My prayers include your pets.......and YOU, too! There's nothing quite like having an outdoor dog inside for a period of time.

- AD
:wave

How sad. I've had three pets (all cats) die in the last few years while I was holding them. They were all kittens but two of them were expected because they were very young and abandoned by their mother.

Dora, when I read your OP, I was thinking maybe he was sensing that something was wrong with his injured buddy. I've heard stories like that. Poor dog. It sounds like is age is catching up with him. But, I'm happy to hear both are doing better.

Dora, when I read your OP, I was thinking maybe he was sensing that something was wrong with his injured buddy. I've heard stories like that. Poor dog. It sounds like is age is catching up with him. But, I'm happy to hear both are doing better.

Oh, I definitely think it was all the stress of George getting hurt that caused Antony to become so ill.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back