Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Be still and know that I am with you

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
That verse ( one of my faves by the way) rings in my head. I just love it.
But just did a google search and ...
"Be still and know that I am God" comes up.
I like that one too but the one in the thread title is much more powerful.
Its good to have God as authority and makes me feel secure. But to reassure us by saying He is with is, packs a bigger punch imo.

The more i dwell on stillness, the more I think we need to pray on this one daily.
How poorly distracted I am..
how easily upset...
stillness is faith too..
focus on the eternal flame..

I don't understand what are you trying to say?

That we need to make time to know God?
That we ought to be aware of God?

Our buisiness and noise does make thinking about Jesus difficult, it is why Sunday is important.
Adah when we can spend time with others in worship and to be challenged by the procolmation of God's word.

I don't understand what are you trying to say?

That we need to make time to know God?
That we ought to be aware of God?

Our buisiness and noise does make thinking about Jesus difficult, it is why Sunday is important.
Adah when we can spend time with others in worship and to be challenged by the procolmation of God's word.
That we need not fear or worry. God is with us all the time. We just need to still our mind.

Thank you Humble Soul. The verse I remember is "Be still and know that I am God." I grew up with two statements that I was told were from the Bible. The one I just mentioned and "Make a joyful noise."

I prefer the quiet worship so I was a Quaker for ten years. We sat in silence and meditated. No sermon or music.

When I met my husband Frank he was a drummer in a jazz band at church. I tried to adjust to the loud noise but I could not so I stayed home.

David danced and made a joyful noise. Jesus prayed silently in the garden.

I do not think one is better than the other. I think it is personal preference. But I do not want to be told then I am not worshipping correctly when I prefer to pray and meditate instead of listening to a sermon on a loud speaker and horns blaring away.

My favorite lyrics are "The sound of silence." I probably should have been a none or a monk. LOL

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools," said I, "You do not know
Silence, like a cancer, grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells, of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence

❤​

I prefer the quiet worship so I was a Quaker for ten years. We sat in silence and meditated. No sermon or music.
Ive never checked out the Quakers but have been meaning to for a long time. They have an almost eastern/Buddhist quality to them. Thanks Susannah

The Quakers are called The Society of Friends, formally known as The Children of Light. They were originally from England. Their founder was George Fox. He had a personal vision of Jesus who told him that the Catholic Church was doing it all wrong when they demanded obedience to the Pope. Jesus said he talked directly to people: women, men, children. This was heresy at the time so they were put in prison and started emigrating to America where other religions condemned them.

The early feminists like Susan B. Anthony were Quakers because they grew up with the idea that God loved them equally to men.

The reason I left is because they do have communion and baptism, both of which I believe in.

In California they have Quaker meetings and a Quaker church. The latter combines a sermon with 30 minutes of meditation. They believe in simplicity in dress but they do not go so far as the Amish.

I may go back as most of my time is spent in prayer and medication trying to discern God's will for me from day to day. I did get baptized and I can go somewhere else to get communion.

They are the farthest thing from eastern religion. They are very Christ centered. More than some churches I have been.

So the verse in my head isnt in the Bible?
Not necessarily in that specific phrase. Our pastor has spoken of this quite a bit lately. Just this past Sunday during his sermon he mentioned how often it is we hear Jesus say something like, "Do not be afraid," or "Fear not."

I did some searching in the NKJV and this is what I found.

10 "Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed,
for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

Isaiah 41:10 NKJV

13 For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand,
Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’
14 “Fear not, you worm Jacob,
You men of Israel!
I will help you,” says the Lord.

Isaiah 41:13-14 NKJV

5 Fear not, for I am with you;
Isaiah 43:5 NKJV

19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV

10 Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;

Psalm 46:10-11 NKJV

And Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today.
Exodus 14:13 NKJV

“When you go out to battle against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the Lord your God is with you, who brought you up from the land of Egypt."
Deuteronomy 20:1 NKJV

"Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9 NKJV

25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.
26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear.
27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.”

Matthew 14:25-27 NKJV

49 And when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed it was a ghost, and cried out;
50 for they all saw Him and were troubled. But immediately He talked with them and said to them, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.”

Mark 6:49-50 NKJV

5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!”
6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid.
7 But Jesus came and touched them and said, “Arise, and do not be afraid.”

Matthew 17:5-7 NKJV

9 Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, “Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent;
10 for I am with you,...

Acts 18:9-10 NKJV

13 And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?
14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.”
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.
17 For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

1 Peter 3:13-17 NKJV

12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands,
13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band.
17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.

18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.
Revelation 1:12-13; 17-18 NKJV

I found 11 references for "Fear not," one reference for "be not dismayed," one reference for "be not afraid," and 48 references for, "Do not be afraid."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back