Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

BRAVE NEW WORLD?

did you enjoy the book?

• didn't read it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • had to put it down

• to immoral for me !

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

jess321

i was wondering if anyone else has read this book. we have to read it for summer reading in my PAP Brit. Lit. class.
it is an interesting book however it can push the limits please let me know what you thought of the book!
thanks

I actually liked the book. It had several good points about society. There were definately things in it that irritated me and I did not agree with, but huxley isn't quite the most Christian friendly person either. :-? Soma trips are not the best plan to deal with life. :sad

It was very similar ideas compared to a movie called Gattica.

yeah i agree.
i enjoyed the book you just have to remember that what's in the book isn't what accually happens but it will definately make you think about what it would be like if that did happen!!!

we are reading 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' now and it seems pretty interesting!!

Read in back in High school(early 80's)

A lot of what is written in it is true of the world today.

brave new world-interesting book-terrible film-(even though leonard nimoy was in it).but GATTICA-now that was interesting sci-fi.by the way,is anyone as dissappointed as i am with the "sci fi channel"?it's just a bunch of space westerns,if you will,hardly anything truly original.In my humble opinion,some of the most original sci-fi came out of the seventies(SOYLENT GREEN-SILENT RUNNING-PLANET OF THE APES)if any sci-fi people have missed these,you really should see them,they are truly original concepts.I think GATTICA and BLADE RUNNER are about the only really decent concepts to come forth since(have i missed any)?I'd love to discuss christian sci-fi/fantasy,but i've read very little(LEFT BEHIND/THIS PRESENT DARKNESS).any other "true"sci-fi fans out there??I welcome your input!! Tcelt7. :-D

brave new world-interesting book-terrible film-(even though leonard nimoy was in it).but GATTICA-now that was interesting sci-fi.by the way,is anyone as dissappointed as i am with the "sci fi channel"?it's just a bunch of space westerns,if you will,hardly anything truly original.In my humble opinion,some of the most original sci-fi came out of the seventies(SOYLENT GREEN-SILENT RUNNING-PLANET OF THE APES)if any sci-fi people have missed these,you really should see them,they are truly original concepts.I think GATTICA and BLADE RUNNER are about the only really decent concepts to come forth since(have i missed any)?I'd love to discuss christian sci-fi/fantasy,but i've read very little(LEFT BEHIND/THIS PRESENT DARKNESS).any other "true"sci-fi fans out there??I welcome your input!! Tcelt7. :-D

I'm with you tcelt, the sci-fi channel is pretty bad. They keep putting out really bad movies that I hope are really comedys..."Chupacabra, dark seas" wow that was atrocious... Or wait there was also "Mansquito". I can't believe people convince others to put up money for things like this. :o

greetings knarf-its good to know somebody else agrees!i suppose they are just doing good business and keeping the ratings up by appealing to the gen-x crowd??actually i qualify as a gen-x er myself,but i had such high hopes for that channel when it first came out."mansquito"and the like are an insult,except for the high ridicule value.so,do you have a top3 or 5 best sci-fi films,or how about a favorite author?(mine is Robert E.Heinlein-man,they've made the most atrocious film adaptations of his novels!!)really,90% of what gets churned out nowdays is a knockoff of ALIEN or STAR WARS.do you agree,or am i being too harsh??anybody else welcomed to join in!!-Tcelt7. :-D

I'm with you on the really bad sci fi movies. They are few and far inbetween. I really don't have a top 5. But I do have a favorite sci fi author. Orson Scott Card, the author of Ender's Game. I really haven't read any of his other books except the ender series. I honestly haven't read that much sci fi, I have just read a few really good ones by suggestion of other people. As for movies, I just like good movies no matter what the genre.
I also like really really bad movies for ridicule factor as well. If your interested go to the worst movies of all time thread I started. There are a few suggestions for laughability and possibly the most painful 2 hours of your life. :-D

the worst movies//-sounds good,i'll head there momentarily...may i suggest "orphans of the sky"by robert e.heinlein if you're looking for a great sci-fi story.written about 1940 something,just wonderful,imaginative stuff without all the new age poop they all seem to want to throw in nowadays.what is 'enders game' about -the title is definitely familiar.btw,saw a great film the other night-"mother night"-taken from a story by kurt vonnegut jr.(have you read any of his stuff?somewhat cynical but definitely interesting and terribly witty).nick nolte plays a young german recruited by the u.s.as a spy in nazi germany-great story...(careful-some nudity-rated R).hey,speaking of great older sci-fi did you ever see any of the old english series called UFO ??man,i loved that show-nowdays its pretty corny but back in the day...woww. :-D

SEE END-TIMES/BIBLE PROPHECY FORUM...

Sign of the Beast thread has fascinating details @ UN use of BNW:-

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back