Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

British decline in religion seems to have halted

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
:clap

Here in America, more and more churches are insisting that 'church' is for getting unbelievers saved. In the meantime, those of us that are already saved are starving to death.

I lived in the USA for 7 years from the late 70s into the 80s and that was the situation then. Seems as though it hasn't changed. The church is a place for the pastor-teacher to 'equip the saints for the work of ministry' (Eph 4:11-12 ESV).

There is the added problem that i experienced then and now in Australia that there are way too many pastors who are not adequate teachers of Scripture. That kind of comment won't make me popular!stinkeye

Some of the worst public speakers and teachers I've heard have not been in my public education but in the pulpit of the churches I've visited and been part of. Some of those influenced my writing this article, It’s a sin to bore God’s people with God’s Word.

The other problem, which I encountered this morning in a Bible study, is pastors who plagiarise (steal) sermons and teaching from the Internet. I have confronted this pastor about what he does in sermons and Bible studies, but he continues to do it. Sermon Central may have many positive benefits, but it helps pastors to steal sermons without giving credit. One of the elders in my church also does it. When I alerted one of the other elders to what he was doing, he was confronted and now he mentions the name of the person whose sermon he uses.

Oz

In America, evangelists are misunderstood to be pastors, not realizing they are two distinct gifts and it is the office of pastor/elder that Paul says should be able to teach (pastor/teacher arguably being a single office, not two--Ephesians 4:11 NASB). A church is to be built around the teaching ministry of a pastor and/or elders, not around the preaching ministry of an evangelist.

I agree that the gifts of Eph 4:11-12 (ESV) are distinct gifts for the 'equipping of the saints for the work of ministry'. I consider that all 5 of these ministry gifts are for that purpose.

However, I agree with you that the ministry of the evangelist is for outreach and equipping of believers to evangelise. Remember what Paul told Timothy, the pastor, to do: 'But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry' (2 Tim 4:5 NIV).

Oz

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back