Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

C Street Christian Politicians On The Down Low

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

WASHINGTON -- Recent political scandals have put a Washington D.C. Bible study group under the microscope and in the headlines.

It's known as the "C Street Ministry" and members include South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., who both admitted extra marital affairs.

On the outside, it's just a normal Victorian townhouse nestled a few blocks from Capitol Hill. but inside is the much talked about C Street ministry.

Gov. Mark Sanford even mentioned it by name when went before cameras to admit his affair.

"I was part of a group called C Street when I was in Washington," Sanford said.

C Street is run by a Christian group well known in Washington political circles. "The fellowship" grabs headlines for running the National Prayer Breakfast, but it goes much deeper than that. This townhouse is a place where congressmen live, discuss the Bible and share their personal lives. But details are hard to come by and cameras are not allowed.

So what exactly goes on up these steps and through that door at the C Street Ministry? It has been somewhat secretive, but we talked to someone who's been behind that green door.

Rev. Rob Scheck has counseled congressmen at C Street.

"What you might see inside is a small group of people huddled in a corner maybe three or four of them praying together, sometimes with an open Bible on someone's lap talking about a verse," said Scheck, president of Faith & Action.

Think of C Street as a small Bible study group where politicians are held accountable in their relationships -- a spiritual refuge of sorts.

"It's sort of a place outside the cacophony, the noise, the distraction of Capitol Hill. I find it a lovely place to visit and I wish more people knew about it and why it's here," Scheck said.

But the public doesn't know much about it and that's intentional. Doug Coe is the fellowship's founder. He simply doesn't do interviews and though he's been in this town for decades, he keeps a very low profile

"He works under the radar -- not because he has something to hide, but because he wants to protect the integrity of those relationships with really well known people," said Michael Cromartie with the Ethics and Public Policy Center.

But make no mistake: What is taught in that house is very much Christ-centered.

"I think he feels that if people look at the life and teachings and in fact the work of Jesus Christ, that they'll be drawn to him, so that's his method," Cromartie said.

But Coe's decision to keep things hush-hush in the house has just led to more media scrutiny. It's been called "the Christian mafia" or "the family," making skeptics wonder what is really going on in that house as imaginations run wild.

"Their cloak of secrecy has not served them well," Scheck said. "I think if they were a little more open about what they do, a little more candid about who they are, that maybe they would avoid some of that labeling."

And speaking of labels, while the mainstream media has focused heavily on the two conservative Christian politicians caught up in affairs while attending C Street, the ministry does not cater to one party.

"It is anything but a sort of conservative Republican kabal," Cromartie said.

And yes, while Sanford and Ensign morally failed even while attending C Street, there is a flip side.

"The fact of the matter is what you ought to do if you want to do a real story on C Street is find out how many affairs were thwarted because of the accountability of this house," Cromartie said.

Holding politicians accountable spiritually in the nation's capitol. Not an easy job at all.

yes, let those leaders of our country have such a refuge, Lord knows that they need such things, I wish there was more of them for each and every state senate and house, maybe our country would be better off.

jason

Hmmm, you are right Jason, our top leaders need to be in prayer and Bible study, much of our Constitution comes out of the Bible, so it seems that these people will make Godly decisions.

I am surprised that nobody has a any comments on our praying Christian government officials. It's like they don't even count. Nobody has commented on how great it is to have Christians who study the Bible and have prayer in this mostly SECULAR run government of ours, that lets the ACLU have to much say, and a Supreme Court that backs abortion, and a government that has taken prayer out of the schools, after 200 or so years of having it. I thank God that we still have a few, in government that feels the need to pray, and have Bible study, in a country who's government, has pushed Christ to the side, who when in early government, was very much a part of it. Here in Philadelphia, the birth place of this nation, with most of the oldest buildings, you can still see all the Biblical Scriptures on the buildings of old, God's name was invoked everywhere in our early government, I am starting to preach you all. In the early days it was required that all students studied the Bible and was very fluent with it, by age 12, the Bible was used to teach you English. Now that system is long gone, you hardly hear of anyone in government praying or lifting up the name of Jesus anymore, our government has gone secular, and I hate to say it but the democrats in government pass more unholy laws than Republicans by a wide margin. But in any event, we have some praying Bible government officials, and I think they deserve to be thanked, for being obedient enough to God's Word, to invoke Him in all that they do. It is documented that our Constitution was written with the Bible in mind, many of the writers said this, they took our basic laws out of the BibleIsaiah 59:14 (King James Version)

14And judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter.

amen lewis, the aclu hate christ, and love the wicknedness, its truly amazing how in a few short years that this country went from allowing prayer to the lord to lead us in its decisons, yes there was some problems back then, but they truly pale in comparision to today, lewis when you were in school there was no shootings in school and metal detectors,and the roving police, even in Philly back then, right?

jason

You are right, except in high school we had 2 patrol officers patrolling the school, one time one of them caught me smoking a joint, I got suspended for 2 or 3 days no charges, that was in 1970 or 71.

yes, and we are better because of the new diversity were all religions are equal and it' s unamerican to say that's there's only one to way heaven. :screwloose

My dad remembers walking the streets of miami even during the days of jim crow laws and was never robbed. He had colored friends, my grandfather wasnt racist at all.

jason

Back