Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Caesarea Philippi and the Rock

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
C

Cure of Ars

Caesarea Philippi is the location where Jesus’ identity as the Messiah was revealed to the disciples. Caesarea Philippi was a two-day walk into pagan territory so it is odd that Jesus would take his disciples there. By Caesarea Philippi there is a huge rock with a cave that is the source of the Jordan River. The pagans believed that the cave with the water flowing out from under the ground was a gate to hades, the gates of hell.

Banias_cave_tb_n011500_wr.jpg

At this rock, pagans would worship the pagan god Pan. Here is a picture of a couple of niches that probably held a statue of Pan. Pan was the pagan god of shepherds and flocks.

Banias_niches_tb_n011500_wr.jpg

On top of the rock there was a temple for the worship of Caesar (Josephus Ant. 15) .

This backdrop is very significant in relation to what Jesus says in Matthew 16:13-20. Jesus established Peter as the true shepard of his true flock in opposition to Pan the false god of shepherds and flocks. And the true divine king, Christ, is going to build his Church on Peter, the Rock, in opposition to the false god Caesar and his false church on the rock. And the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church that Christ established.

Well, the idea that Christ meant regarding Peter what you say he meant is interesting, and politically convenient, Roman Catholic dogma but there is a different, better way to read Christ's remarks that is in fuller agreement with the broader message of Scripture. Christ was referring to himself when he spoke of the Rock upon which the Church would rest, not Peter. This is supportable both by the immediate context of the passage you cite and the other places in Scripture where Christ is clearly identified as the foundation of every Christian's spiritual life (who collectively constitute the Church).

In Christ, Aiki.

aiki said:
Christ was referring to himself when he spoke of the Rock upon which the Church would rest, not Peter.

Why then did Jesus change Peter's name to Rock? Biblically speaking, when God changes someone's name it is a big deal. It signifies a role the person is going to play. For example God changed Abram to Abraham because he was to be the father of many nations (Gen 17:5) So why would Jesus change Simon’s name to Peter, i.e Rock?

This is supportable both by the immediate context of the passage you cite and the other places in Scripture where Christ is clearly identified as the foundation of every Christian's spiritual life (who collectively constitute the Church).

There are actually 5 metaphors in the Bible regarding the foundation of the Church.

Christ is the Foundation
According to the grace of God given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But each one must be careful how he builds upon it, for no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, Jesus Christ.(1 Cor 3:10-11)

Christ is the Cornerstone
For it says in scripture: "Behold, I am laying a stone in Zion, a cornerstone, chosen and precious, and whoever believes in it shall not be put to shame." (1 Peter 2:6)

Christ is the Capstone and the Apostles and New Testament Prophets are the Foundation
…built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone. (Ephesians 2:20)

Twelve Apostles are the Foundation
The wall of the city had twelve courses of stones as its foundation, on which were inscribed the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. (Rev 21:14)

Peter is the Rock
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. (Matt 16:18)

Now you do not set one metaphor in opposition to another metaphor in the Bible to cancel it out. They are all true in their own context. In Matt 16:18 Jesus is the builder of the Church and Peter is its foundation.

Hey, Cure of Ars!

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Been wading through one of those difficult times in life, y'know?

Why then did Jesus change Peter's name to Rock? Biblically speaking, when God changes someone's name it is a big deal. It signifies a role the person is going to play. For example God changed Abram to Abraham because he was to be the father of many nations (Gen 17:5) So why would Jesus change Simon’s name to Peter, i.e Rock?

Of course you are aware of the play on words which exists in verse 18 of Matthew 16? Peter is, in Greek, "petros" or, "a piece of rock", while the word "rock" in verse 18 is rendered in Greek as, "a mass of rock". Some have suggested that Christ intended to contrast Peter, a piece of rock, with himself who is the "mass of rock". I don't know if I like this line of reasoning myself because it doesn't correspond well to the grammar of verse 18. It seems obvious to me from the structure of verse 18 that the rock upon which the Church would be built referred in some way to Peter.

Now, before you rush to conclude that I agree with the RC take on verse 18, let me assure you that I don't. It is my understanding that the "rock" upon which the Church would be built would be the confession Peter made in verse 16: "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God." The "rock" was not, actually, Peter himself, but his proclamation of the divine identity of Jesus. Separated from this proclamation, Peter would have played no role at all in the founding of Christ's Church (vs. 18)

Now you do not set one metaphor in opposition to another metaphor in the Bible to cancel it out. They are all true in their own context. In Matt 16:18 Jesus is the builder of the Church and Peter is its foundation

No, you don't set one metaphor at odds with another. YOu do, however, understand the truth expressed in one metaphor in light of the others which speak to the same truth. They qualify, rather than exist independantly of one another, as you seem to be suggesting.

There is a vastly greater array of verses that explicitly establish Christ as the Savior, center, progenitor, and foundation of the Church, than those which may be interpreted as attributing these things to Peter. It is Jesus, not Peter, who is the true Life-Giver and Sustainer of the Church.

In Christ, Aiki.

Back