Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Cain and Abel?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Jewel,,, I think there are some parts of the life of Adam and Eve not recorded.... I fully believe God told them how to offer a sacrifice and Cain wanted it his way not God's way...

Because Adam and Eve were now naked after they sinned (they had been clothed in Light), they needed proper clothing. The vegetation they first used probably didn't last long; but the LORD GOD sacrificed some animals in order to make more durable clothing; therefore, man now had to offer a sacrifice by blood for the remission of sin. Cain's sacrifice was not of blood.

Judging from Cains reaction to his offering being refused his heart and mind were already in a dark place when (or even before) he offered his offering. Sane people don't react like that. Cain's mind was corrupted by inferiority thoughts, narcissism, competitiveness (does that word exist?) and envy.
Of course that's just my interpretation, but it's not far fetched considering how Cain's response was. I am much like Cain, and thus he's the biblical figure I identify most with....

Anyway, he didn't give his offering in love to God, but with a wrong motivation. He wanted attention/ recognition/ prasie from God and thus gave that offering not in order to serve God, but in order to serve himself, to have his narcissistic needs met. That's why God rejected it.

The whole Cain & Abel story is very interesting from a psychologcial point of view. It's telling us a lot about sibbling rivalery and about the dangers of envy and narcissism.

God actually tried to help Cain, he warned him or tried to comfort him. (Gen 4:6,7) So He didn't love Cain any less. And there is hope to overcome that sort of selfishness.
But I guess that brother rivalery had been going on for a long time and so Cain was hurting too much to heed God's warning.

Back