Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can anyone suggest a work-at-home job?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Boidae21

My wife and I have been talking and it seems she may not be able to go back to work because her multiple sclerosis is really taking a toll on her. What that also means is that I am going to be required to stay home as well because she will need help with herself and our new daughter.

We're on a fixed income right now which is her disability and with three people in the home, that will not be enough long term. It also means that I cannot invest anything because I don't have money to invest. I also need something that can be started pretty quickly and doesn't have a long training time.

I cannot do phone work because I cannot be sure that our apartment will always be quiet, especially with a baby and a dog that both randomly make loud noises...lol. I am also not great at creative writing, so freelance writing would be out.

The skills that I have come from being an emergency medical technician or a warehouse worker. So not much to be sure. I can repair computers as far as hardware goes, but there is too much competition in this area ( I know because I tried before). I have looked at things that can be built, but it costs money to start something like that. I have even tried to do a pet walking/sitting business, but it went no where.

It really needs to be a in-the-home kind of job, so no cutting grass or cleaning houses. I would also like to be able to include my wife so that she feels as though she is contributing in some way.

My wife and I have been talking and it seems she may not be able to go back to work because her multiple sclerosis is really taking a toll on her. What that also means is that I am going to be required to stay home as well because she will need help with herself and our new daughter.

We're on a fixed income right now which is her disability and with three people in the home, that will not be enough long term. It also means that I cannot invest anything because I don't have money to invest. I also need something that can be started pretty quickly and doesn't have a long training time.

I cannot do phone work because I cannot be sure that our apartment will always be quiet, especially with a baby and a dog that both randomly make loud noises...lol. I am also not great at creative writing, so freelance writing would be out.

The skills that I have come from being an emergency medical technician or a warehouse worker. So not much to be sure. I can repair computers as far as hardware goes, but there is too much competition in this area ( I know because I tried before). I have looked at things that can be built, but it costs money to start something like that. I have even tried to do a pet walking/sitting business, but it went no where.

It really needs to be a in-the-home kind of job, so no cutting grass or cleaning houses. I would also like to be able to include my wife so that she feels as though she is contributing in some way.

So sorry to read of your wife's difficulties.

Sometimes medical inputting can be done remotely by computer.

Do you know any other languages, also? they can be used in translation work.

So sorry to read of your wife's difficulties.

Sometimes medical inputting can be done remotely by computer.

Do you know any other languages, also? they can be used in translation work.

From what I understand medical input requires the classes and they are at minimum 8 month long classes (this is if you're talking about medical coding and billing). There is also no assurance of being able to find work in that field as it's very competitive.

Only language I know is English and even that's questionable at times. :)

From what I understand medical input requires the classes and they are at minimum 8 month long classes (this is if you're talking about medical coding and billing). There is also no assurance of being able to find work in that field as it's very competitive.

Only language I know is English and even that's questionable at times. :)

Do you have any accounting skills? This is often done remotely by computer, also.

No accounting skills either. I am an EMT and have warehousing knowledge. Pretty much it for skills.

Well, sounds like you have some knowledge of logistics issues, and possibly distribution networks. I guess you would benefit from an interview with a career consultant. I hope you will know God's guidance and strength; keep praying and depending.

Well, sounds like you have some knowledge of logistics issues, and possibly distribution networks. I guess you would benefit from an interview with a career consultant. I hope you will know God's guidance and strength; keep praying and depending.

I actually have one of those, but it seems they are only interested in getting me a job that is 9-5 out of the home. That's just not going to work for me.

I actually have one of those, but it seems they are only interested in getting me a job that is 9-5 out of the home. That's just not going to work for me.

You might want to ask your local mayor's office to talk to some kind of consultant on work issues. Do you have a lawyer friend who could help with the maze of regulations? The employer does have at least a moral obligation to try to accommodate your developing circumstances.

That's a tough situation. I am on disability and looked for in your house opportunities. Honestly your best bet would be to think outside the box. Like make a video about cpr ingesting poison injuries and whatnot (obviously you'd have to look into the legality of this) and then take out an ad in a magazine for house wives. I'd read four hour work week to get you thinking like this. The phone stuff is hard to get and doesn't pay well. Maybe you will have to wait the two years for medicare and then go out and work if medicare pays to take care of your wife. Ultimately compound interest is the way to security for you. I don't have that much money but my investment earnings are equal to my disability. So basically I have the income of one fairly bad job. Whatever it takes you have to start saving money and making money off your money. Get disability insurance on yourself too in case something happens to you.

I have looked for good work at home opportunities for years and have found they are few and far between. The legitimate ones anyway. Of course you could get into envelope stuffing, or generating spam lists on the internet, but if you truly want to do something meaningful from home you may just have to start your own business. Is there something that you like to do that is marketable? Is there a service you can provide other people that is not readily available in your area?

Many Doctor's look for people to transcribe for them. You might check that out. You could even start an at home merchandising business that takes very little capital to get started. Beware of all the online at home job offers as most of them are scams.

Yes, as for his glory suggests, you might look into medical transcription more; it might prove to be possible to work at it, while also studying for it at the same time; some kind of arrangement like this. If you offered to do it as a short term thing, free of charge, the doctor's office might like your work and offer to keep you working, only with payment, and there might be study opportunities also. I know it's hard but it might be worth looking into further.

I know there are a lot fo data entry jobs that are usually work from home. Llike others have said, good work from home jobs are hard to find, epecially if you cannot use the phone. If you can figure out a way to have a job that requires a phone, I htink travel agents can work from home. Most of the work may be over email with occasional phone calls (not sure though).

No matter what you decide, consider starting a business that can be done with all your specifications. This typically takes a long time but if you do it while doing your other job, it could be a way to do exactly what you want while still working form home.

Good luck. praying for your wife, you, and baby.

A lady here in town build a little green house and started selling tomato and pepper plants. She just raises very common types and sells them cheaper than anyone else around. She must be doing something right, she added a second greenhouse this year...

Her very small house sets on one lot in town.

Might try buying local yard sale stuff and selling online, seems to work for some.

Hi Boidae21, i'm sorry to hear of your difficulties and will pray for you.
With regard to work at home, try freelancing. I freelance (write articles / reports etc) online and once you get started, the work becomes more regular. The trick is to be competitive in you pricing (not too cheap or clients often think you don't know what you're doing) Also make sure youbuild a profile / resume that really highlights EVERYTHING you are skilled at. As someone else has already mentioned, medical transcriptionists are in high demand. Also Virtual assistants for doctors etc.
I use Elance.com they put the funds in escrow before you commence work, so there's never an issue with getting paid. As soon as the job is completed,you can get your money paid into your bank account or paypal account or if you prefer,hold it in your account until the end of the month. (I keepit til the end of the month so it'slike a regular salary.)
There are other freelance sites around, but elance has been the most lucrative for me. I cant retire yet but am working on it! :sad
If you want any further information or help setting it up, PM me.
may God bless you and you family
paul

Forgot to mention, setting up the account is free to start or you can upgrade your membership for $10 a month. I started with the free membership until I made a good name for myself with good client ratings and needed the extra proposal credits for the job offers.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back