Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can Christians learn anything from Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

What do you think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

• Great TV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • avoid at all costs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

sigh1

I'm a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it's spin-off Angel. I've always been of the beliefe that Christians can learn things by watching well written tv, both secular and christian.

What do other people think?

Has anyone else seen anything of Worth in the story of "Buffy, the slayer of the Vampyre"

Hmm, I often see the spiritual side of things whenever possible, especially in music. I don't quote know what we can learn from shows like these and say, Charmed. Since I'm not a fan of these shows and have only seen the original Buffy movie MANY years ago, maybe you cound elabotate for us?

I will say we all must be careful what we let into our heads, because it's next to impossible to get it out. We don't want to be straining out gnats while swallowing camels, do we? 8-)

I think if you are my age, what you watch on TV can have little effect on you. :wink: That said, I don't watch most of what is on nowadays. I like boring dramas, silly old sitcoms, and Star Trek, and Mash. :-D

Star trek is pretty cool.

Most of the things you can learn from Buffy are similar to things you learn from other tv, it's just that the examples are different.

The entire story arc for one is a lesson in sacrifice. Sometimes to do the right thing, or to help the people in love you have to be willing to lose the short term bliss that you may have.

In the season 2 climax "the becoming 2" Buffy is forced to kill the once more good Angel, whom she loves deeply. If she hadn't the world would have faced an apocalypse.
At the end of the 5th season, she must throw herself off a tower through a portal to close it. Doing so spares her sister from having to do it (only the blood of the one who opened the portal can seal it), and once again saves the world from being sucked into a hell dimension.

The end of Season 6 shows us what it means to love. Willow, bursting with dark magic which she absorbed, seeks to end the world to stop her own heartache. Xander, who has no special abilities is left to save the world, and does so by reminding willow of the love that he has for her as his oldest and dearest friend.

My explanations may not be particularly good but I believe as Christians, regardless of age can learn from the actions of others, be they made up and in a book or television program, or real life people, making the best of the world we live in. I also think you can learn from Christian and non-christian alike.

Now Star Trek was an excellent show. We can learn something from many of the episodes. Even in the casting could we learn something about racial equality. You had a black officer, a Russian, a Japanese, a Scot, an Irish and even a green alien with pointed ears. :-D

Another show along that line was... The Twilight Zone. Yeah. 8-)

I like Buffy, the reason because it is good over coming evil, and sometimes on that show and Angel, or Charmed evil will win a battle, but good always wins the war. Now I have heard people say, that you should not watch such programs, they don't bother me, it is just fun for me. I also like Dracula movies. Well I am just a horror flick fan anyway, and I always have been. And they do nothing at all to my Christianity. So the thing that you can learn from Buffy is that the demons will never win the war, but good will.

I agree. While I think it is important to teach that Jesus has and will overcome all, I also think you should be realistic and teach people that sometimes the bad guys win. That you must come back from any defeat stronger. You should learn from everything.
The war may be won but the battles still need to be fought.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back