Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can Christians Retain A Sense Of Humor?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Eugene

I have a dear friend and brother in the Lord that I talk to weekly long distance by phone, and now that I've gone on line we correspond that way also. He grew up in a superstitious family from Puerto Rico, and retained some of that regardless of accepting the Lord as his savior. To set the scene I started receiving emails from him that would suggest the things that would come my way by either forwarding the message to 7 other persons, or the consequences of not doing so. He is a great Salsa dancer and I told you that so you would understand the following sarcasm I used. Hope you have the freedom in Christ to still have a sense of humor.

That reminds me of the man that went to church and got religion, then came home and told his wife and son what he had done. His son then went back to the barn to finish his chores and saw their old mule standing there with its head hanging down, looking half dead and slobbering and he just asked the mule, did you get religion too? When we receive Christ we have new life and that should be reflected to others.

Back to the what I'm trying to say. When I received Jose's reply I laughed so hard and long I couldn't even tell my wife what it was all about. Attempting to bring his attention to what he was doing I sent the following email.

email sent to superstitious Jose -

Brother Joey, I'm getting funny feelings like I'm supposed to send at least 20,000 of these emails to different recipients within an hour to avoid disaster, and exactly 20,001 to become rich and regain my youth and health; WOW! The mysterious thing about it is that I'm to do all this without the aid of any means to keep track of the amount of email's I send or the time limits. One other thing, to confuse me even further, I must continue chanting "mumbamumba dumb.me" throughout the process while dancing the "Macarena," or whatever that dance is called. I keep thinking I want to do the "Salsa" instead but I don't know how - HELP! Oh-oh, times a wasting so I better get this message off to you quick and start building my exaggeratingly long address list in a hurry. Next I have to learn to use it at super-speed - I think I'm starting to look over my shoulder for a dove or some other great omen of safety. LOL - Even Yvonne thought this was funny: SMILE -

Love in the precious name of Jesus -

email I received from Jose

Hello Laughing boy and girl,

Boy, it didn't take you long to learn how to transmit your sense of humor electronically, did it. I can just imagine Yvonne and you just laughing it up in your retirement. Luckily you have Holli and I who understand your morbid sense of humor and love you anyway. It's only through the love of God that we are able to do this. Just kidding, we love you both because you first cared. You accepted the both of us even though we may act stupid some times. Thanks

Feel free to send me the 20,000 and 3 email messages. I'll just delete them...or do you think bad luck will come upon me and turn me into a gremlin?

Love you very much in Jesus name, Joey

Hehe. :lol
Christians can definitely have a sense of humor. It makes life more bearable.:)

My family has never been superstitious, but my mom doesn't let us open umbrellas in the house because the last couple of times that happened, years ago, somebody died soon after. She realizes it's silly, but she still makes sure we're outside before we open an umbrella.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe. :lol
Christians can definitely have a sense of humor. It makes life more bearable.:)

My family has never been superstitious, but my mom doesn't let us open umbrellas in the house because the last couple of times that happened, years ago, somebody died soon after. She realizes it's silly, but she still makes sure we're outside before we open an umbrella.

This is a superstition here in Barbados too. Lol.

................ He grew up in a superstitious family from Puerto Rico, and retained some of that regardless of accepting the Lord as his savior.

questdriven said:
My family has never been superstitious, but...........

Perhaps it takes a sense of humor to recognize that being Christian, or indeed following ANY religion, requires one to be superstitious. ALL religions require an acceptance of ideas that can not be proven and which seem odd, perhaps silly or even laughable, to people who do not share their specific faiths.

A lot of patent superstition we laugh at is simply part of a different religion and/or quite often based on a vestige of fact or common sense, such as - it is bad luck to walk under a ladder!

Even within Christianity, there is a tendency to laugh or scoff at the beliefs of some who follow a different denomination. Some believe, for example, that a baby can never go to heaven unless it has been baptized (superstition) etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. It takes common sense plus a sense of humor to avoid getting sucked into some of this silliness - wherever on the divide, or the spectrum, you find yourself.

We all need a sense of humor in order to be able to laugh at ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously. Or should that be a sense of Homer?

I've bought and lived in two different high rise condos; both had no thirteenth floor. Got to looking only to find none anywhere having them; they can't get people to buy or rent them, and hotels don't have them either. Oh there'll be a thirteenth floor but they'll list them as the fourteenth floor or use the actual thirteenth floor as an office and storage area and not number it. Superstitious? Yes and no, but even a non-superstitious person caters to their customers.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back