Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can Satan Provide "Things"?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

In my mens accountability group, we were doing a study on the things we ask God for and how we get frustrated when we don't get them. We know that sometimes God says "no", because we're better off without them.

So we got on a tangent and I'm interested to hear how others feel. There was a bit of difference in opinion that "things" can come from Satan in order to distract us from a relationship. I believe his legion can provide the means to obtain something. But if I say, "I want that car." I don't think he could make it mine in order to distract me, but his demons could influence the sales person to be more willing to negotiate down. Right now, I'm having a hard time in coming up with a good example. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from.

I'm concerned with anything that gives Satan God-like powers. He doesn't have omnipresence as God does, so when someone says Satan is working them, my reply would be "Do you mean his army when you say Satan?" or I would say "I'm not sure he even knows you exist." There is spiritual warfare, and his presence is working at every Christian, but he can not have the ability to work on everyone individually. IMO

Providing things in your life is another example of something beyond Satan's power, IMO.

I'm curious what others think. Thanks!

mjjcb said:
In my mens accountability group, we were doing a study on the things we ask God for and how we get frustrated when we don't get them. We know that sometimes God says "no", because we're better off without them.

So we got on a tangent and I'm interested to hear how others feel. There was a bit of difference in opinion that "things" can come from Satan in order to distract us from a relationship. I believe his legion can provide the means to obtain something. But if I say, "I want that car." I don't think he could make it mine in order to distract me, but his demons could influence the sales person to be more willing to negotiate down. Right now, I'm having a hard time in coming up with a good example. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from.

I'm concerned with anything that gives Satan God-like powers. He doesn't have omnipresence as God does, so when someone says Satan is working them, my reply would be "Do you mean his army when you say Satan?" or I would say "I'm not sure he even knows you exist." There is spiritual warfare, and his presence is working at every Christian, but he can not have the ability to work on everyone individually. IMO

Providing things in your life is another example of something beyond Satan's power, IMO.

I think Satan could provide things.

Say there is a recovering cocaine addict. They have been clean for one year. Normally cocain is expensive and one has to know where to get it from. I believe that person through what seems like coincidence will be tempted. Maybe they will be walking down the street and just find some. Or at an unlikely place someone will just hey want a hit?

I have friends who struggle with smoking addiction, and they say this happens to them all the time. That they never find an unopened pack when they are smoking, but it happens all the time when they are trying to quit. I have one friend who says when ever he quits for more than a week sure enough a coupon for a free pack will just arrive in the mail.

So are you giving Satan omnipresence, or are you meaning his legion? :)

Absolutely sounds to me that his demons could put people in that person's path to tempt them with drugs or anything that serves as a personal vice.

I guess I don't even know how to ask what I'm looking for in this thread. Many of us allow "things" to clutter our lives and separate us from spending time with Him. I work on the road. I have to struggle to shut the radio off and just listen to Him. Sometimes I feel Satan's demons will put something I like on the radio to keep the sound on, because they know It's something I struggle with.

But I'm talking about providing "things", "objects". Now I don't even know what I'm trying to say. :confused

mjjcb said:
So are you giving Satan omnipresence, or are you meaning his legion? :)

Absolutely sounds to me that his demons could put people in that person's path to tempt them with drugs or anything that serves as a personal vice.

I guess I don't even know how to ask what I'm looking for in this thread. Many of us allow "things" to clutter our lives and separate us from spending time with Him. I work on the road. I have to struggle to shut the radio off and just listen to Him. Sometimes I feel Satan's demons will put something I like on the radio to keep the sound on, because they know It's something I struggle with.

But I'm talking about providing "things", "objects". Now I don't even know what I'm trying to say. :confused

I thought I understood what you meant. That is why I used the example I did. A pack of cigarettes is an object.

Do I think Satan could provide you with something good that will make your life truly better. No not really. Like say you and your spouse really desire a child, and are having trouble conceiving. I don't think that is something Satan could give you.

happyjoy said:
mjjcb said:

I think Satan could provide things.

Say there is a recovering cocaine addict. They have been clean for one year. Normally cocain is expensive and one has to know where to get it from. I believe that person through what seems like coincidence will be tempted. Maybe they will be walking down the street and just find some. Or at an unlikely place someone will just hey want a hit?

I have friends who struggle with smoking addiction, and they say this happens to them all the time. That they never find an unopened pack when they are smoking, but it happens all the time when they are trying to quit. I have one friend who says when ever he quits for more than a week sure enough a coupon for a free pack will just arrive in the mail.

I was thinking about the same kind of thing. I am a recovering crystal meth addict and I remember around the time I was wanting to quit I remember I was getting high everyday. I never went looking for it, I never bought it, I never asked anyone for it but yet I managed to get high every single day. This was probably partly because of my environment. Everyone I knew and was around just smoked dope all day long. But also when I really wanted to get high I was out there working doing stuff to get it and looking for it.
Since I been clean, I think that demons have tried many many times to get me to fall back into my addiction. I did have a relapse in December and it lasted a few weeks long, I almost fell back into my old dark life and lost everything that I worked so hard for, but God helped me out of it. I have been in a spiritual war since I stopped using drugs. But it is comforting to know that if I remain on God's side, then I will remain on the winning side. :)

I think the world provides the things, and satan whispers in our ear tempting us to taste of them.
1 John 2:16 said:
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back