Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Cast your cares upon God,. . . ."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Orion

When the Bible tells us to "cast our cares upon Him", . . . how is that actually done, and does that mean that the person who DOES, no longer has anxiety/sadness over it?

I've been going through some majorly horrible situations lately. When I ponder the verse that tells me to cast these situations upon God, . . . I am not really sure how that is done. My emotions are still affected by it. Even if I believe that God will see it all come out for GOOD, . . . I am still downcasted, . . . and to "put my hope in God" [as the Psalmist says], I'm trying to figure out what that means and how it would affect my thinking, since the situation is present and blatently "in my face".

Any suggestions? :verysad

I'm not sure I'm the best to answer you on this, since I haven't had any event happen to me that I would consider majorly horrible. But, for me, the idea of casting my cares on God involves reminding myself that God is good and loves me. If he loves me, then He wants what is best for me. If he wants whats best for me, then this situation I find myself in that hurts beyond description is not from Him. If it is not from Him, it is from this world, and is therefore temporary. If it is temporary, it can be defeated.

And so on. But it all stems from the basic truth that God is good and He loves me. I know it is SO hard to believe this when you are in the midst of your horrible situation. But God does not change. If he loves you when you are happy, He also loves you when you are sad, scared, hurt, cast down, tortured, sick, etc. Therefore all of your "cares", which I interpret to mean anxieties, worries, uncertainties, doubts, hurt, etc., need to be discarded and in its place recieve a fresh dose of trust in the goodness of God. Your emotions were given to you by God, but they come second to the assurance of the truth of who God is.

Bless you, Orion.

Orion said:
When the Bible tells us to "cast our cares upon Him", . . . how is that actually done, and does that mean that the person who DOES, no longer has anxiety/sadness over it?

I've been going through some majorly horrible situations lately. When I ponder the verse that tells me to cast these situations upon God, . . . I am not really sure how that is done. My emotions are still affected by it. Even if I believe that God will see it all come out for GOOD, . . . I am still downcasted, . . . and to "put my hope in God" [as the Psalmist says], I'm trying to figure out what that means and how it would affect my thinking, since the situation is present and blatently "in my face".

Any suggestions? :verysad

I think it means to be grateful for our trials, and to daily take our thoughts captive. For me, to cast my cares, has meant to not focus on myself, to serve others, and to constantly look for things to be thankful for...even my grief and sadness in my deepest trials. Make a point to be an encourager, and see if you do not become encouraged. It has also meant that I would think on the things that God would have me think about (Philippians 4:4-8)...not allowing myself to wallow or let my thoughts lead me to bitterness and despair. I try to deliberately focus on the truth, and not my emotion. I deliberately try to love, show love, and put on the whole armor of God..I have gotten better at this over time with God's help and by His grace.

I would suggest that you give yourself over to God completely by accepting that pain is part of serving Him...that we are called to suffer with Christ and for the sake of others. My name reflects my effort to set my mind on things that are lovely, namely Jesus.

lovely wrote:
I think it means to be grateful for our trials, and to daily take our thoughts captive. For me, to cast my cares, has meant to not focus on myself, to serve others, and to constantly look for things to be thankful for...even my grief and sadness in my deepest trials. Make a point to be an encourager, and see if you do not become encouraged. It has also meant that I would think on the things that God would have me think about (Philippians 4:4-8)...not allowing myself to wallow or let my thoughts lead me to bitterness and despair. I try to deliberately focus on the truth, and not my emotion. I deliberately try to love, show love, and put on the whole armor of God..I have gotten better at this over time with God's help and by His grace.

I can't think of anything to add to that!

I try to focus my thoughts elsewhere yet my mind still turns toward the unpleasant events . . . I read the verse and when I see "cast your cares", I see it as giving my hurts over to God and taking on an easier yoke, . . . which should be noticable for me, right? But my anxiety is still there. I have trouble getting up in the morning. My appetite is gone. I'm tired. It doesn't feel like my cares have been given, but only expressed, and still are things I'm having to deal with. Perhaps "Cast your cares" was a bad translation, when it probably should have been, "When you have cares, trust that God cares and will work to see them answered." . . . . . or something like that. :confused

Orion said:
I try to focus my thoughts elsewhere yet my mind still turns toward the unpleasant events . . . I read the verse and when I see "cast your cares", I see it as giving my hurts over to God and taking on an easier yoke, . . . which should be noticable for me, right? But my anxiety is still there. I have trouble getting up in the morning. My appetite is gone. I'm tired. It doesn't feel like my cares have been given, but only expressed, and still are things I'm having to deal with. Perhaps "Cast your cares" was a bad translation, when it probably should have been, "When you have cares, trust that God cares and will work to see them answered." . . . . . or something like that. :confused

The verse, "Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall," is part of David's psalm (Psalm 55) lamenting woes regarding his enemy but praising the Lord for His protection and justice. David is filled with fear! But he trusts God will see him, save him and sustain him. The verse you quote is about throwing your anxieties to the Lord and trusting Him to sustain you and keep you from falling.

This verse was very helpful to me when I was going through a period of severe anxiety. Like you, I found it hard to get up in the morning and I lost my appetite (and 25 pounds!) during this time. But, despite what I was going through, my thread of hope was that the Lord was sustaining me until things got better. We all go through seasons, down times and up times. The Lord sustains us through our down times. You are going through a down time. But when you cast your cares on the Lord, you are showing Him you trust Him to sustain you through this season and bring you out of it. And He will. :yes

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back