Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians and legal rights

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I had a discussion board assignment for a class @ Liberty University online recently. Got me to thinking...

...the assignment was a scenario in which a new, baby Christian college student has come up with an idea. He shares it with his professors, who then steal it. Does he sue or not?

This raises other questions. Crime, for instance; when do we, as Christians, emphasize rehabilitation and integration into a community over punishment? The death penalty? Law suits?

This is a vague, open ended discussion starter (vague in part because I just wanna get a convo going, and in part because I can't quite think how to narrow it down).

I was thinking about crime. Let's say some junkie breaks into your place and steals your stuff to sell and buy drugs. They get caught. Do you say "throw the book at them!," or do you work with the prosecutor to find a softer alternative based on rehabilitation?

Or...a doctor is treating a family member. They make a terrible mistake and bad things happen. Death, disfigurement, whatever. Do you sue, or try to work something out?

I like these sorts of questions. As a Baby Christian, application of Christian morality is important to me.

So...what do y'all think?

Like other things, some perhaps important, some not at all (that shouldn't even be discussed amongst believers),
you will get a lot of different points and views, some looking solidly Scriptural or otherwise like "good advice" or "sound counsel" .
Don't accept any of them at face value. (As they are presented). Not even the "Scripturally backed up ones".
Pray, Pray, Pray, Pray (as is your habit)
and seek that God will show you as He pleases what He wants you to know, and rest in His disclosure; rest always in Christ Jesus.
Then, you will know and see as you know and see anything, by faith in God and grace in Him in Jesus Christ.
In real life.
As things actually and really happen. i.e. not hypothetical or what if.... ... Because God will lead you a step at a time,
and will guide you in what is right and in what to do every day as you abide in union with Him in Christ Jesus.

for example, if someone caught in adultery is brought before the judge in front of you,
and someone else caught telling a lie is brought before the same judge in front of you,
which one do you think will receive the most severe punishment ?

There are always consequences for our actions, good or bad. Judgement is Gods alone as only God knows the heart. As in God who loves the sinner, but hates the sin, so we as a child of God need to also do the same. Love and forgiveness has to be our first thought and action no matter what the actions are of others that may have brought devastation into our own life. Let the law present itself in the fairness of action, but yet let us allow the light of Christ to shine through us in hopes that the person will see that light of Christ and question it, possibly bringing them into Gods salvation as we witness Christ to them.

I use to work in prison ministry and talked with thieves, murders, rapist, etc. etc. one on one and have witnessed them changing there lives by asking Jesus into their hearts as their personal Savior as they were made worthy through Gods righteousness that forgave them their sin as they repented before the Lord and gave their life to Him.
It doesn't matter what the sin is as there is no greater sin then another, but what matters is the condition of the heart and if it can truly be mended. Everyone needs that chance to come to grace and we as servants of the Lord need to get out of our comfort zones and come against the gates of hell and speak to the evil that is in the world.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back