Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians Are Law Keepers

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Iconoclast

jn15:
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love.
rom3;
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
rom7
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

John Colquhoun;
After the Apostle Paul had, in the third chapter of his epistle to the Romans, asserted and proved that all mankind are sinners, and that the justification of believing sinners in the sight of God is utterly unattainable by their own righteousness, and is entirely founded on the surety-righteousness of Jesus Christ, imputed by grace and received by faith; he has in the following words obviated an objection which he foresaw would be made to that fundamental doctrine: “Do we then make void the law through faith?God forbid; yea, we establish the law” (Romans 3:31). One of the objections then made, and still urged, by the enemies of the gospel against the doctrine of a sinner’s free justification for the righteousness of Christ received by faith is that it derogates from the honor and obligation of the law, nay, that it annuls or abrogates the law. “

Do we then,” says he, by asserting that a man is justified by faith only, and not by the works of the law, “make void,” or nullify the obligation of the moral law? With deep abhorrence of such an insinuation, he replies, “God forbid”; far be it from us; on the contrary, we, by that doctrine, “do establish the law.”

ibid;
It is as if he had said, “We are so far from making void or annulling the law through faith that we thereby establish and make it stand in
all its force.” By the law here, the apostle cannot mean the ceremonial law; for by the word of faith as preached by the apostles of Christ this was made void, but the moral law, and that both as a covenant of works and as a rule of life. By faith, in this place, the apostle seems to mean both the doctrine of faith and the grace offaith. The doctrine of faith is the gospel strictly taken as distinguished from the law. The grace of faith is that grace of theHoly Spirit in the hearts of regenerate persons by the exercise of which they receive that doctrine, and the righteousness and salvation exhibited in it.

I shall now endeavor to show that all true believers, through faith, not only do not make void the moral law, but on the contrary establish it or make it stand in all its force. To establish the law is, as was hinted above, to make all the infinite authority and obligation of it stand firm, or to place them on their original and immovable basis, and instead of invalidating to confirm or strengthen them. Believers, then, by faith, that is, by the doctrine and the grace of faith, establish the law.

2. By the doctrine of faith, the law is also established as rule of life to believers. According to this doctrine, it is established in the hand of the Son of God, the glorious Mediator, whom the eternal Father“hath given for a Commander to the people” (Isaiah 55:4), and has set as His King and Lawgiver “upon His holy hill of Zion” (Psalm2:6).
In the hand of the adorable Mediator, the sovereign authority ofthe law, as the instrument of government in his spiritual kingdom and as the rule of duty in His holy covenant, is confirmed;and the high obligation of it is not only confirmed, but increased. Although believers are, in their justification, delivered from the lawas a covenant of works (Romans 7:4-6), yet according to the gospel they are represented as “being not without law to God, but under the
law to Christ” (1 Corinthians 9:21; Galatians 6:2). In the doctrine of faith, the eternal obligation of the law on them is declared; obedience to it is enforced by the strongest motives, and represented as performed under the best influences, from the best principles, andfor the best ends. According to that doctrine, all believers are bound by infinite authority to obey; they are enabled sincerely to obey; theyare constrained by redeeming love to obey; they resolve and delightin dependance on promised grace, to obey; and they cannot but obeythe law as a rule of duty. The love of Christ, as revealed in the gospel, urges them; the blood of Christ redeems them; the Spirit of Christ enables them; and the exceeding great and precious promises of Christ encourage them to obey and yield spiritual and acceptable obedience. The holy law as a rule is written on their hearts, andtherefore they consent unto it that it is good, and delight in it afterthe inward man. While they do not obey it for life, but from life, theyaccount obedience to it not only their duty, but their privilege andtheir pleasure. Thus, according to the doctrine of faith, they present, in the hand of faith, perfect righteousness to the law as a covenant of works; and they perform, as the fruit of faith, sincere obedience to itas a rule of duty. And so effectually do they, by the doctrine of faith establish the law as a rule of duty that they never account their obedience to any of the precepts of it sincere and acceptable but in proportion as their performance of it flows from the unfeigned faith of that doctrine. In their view, nothing is obedience to it but what proceeds from evangelical principles, and is excited by evangelical motives.In the last place, by the grace of faith also, believers establish the law,and that both as a covenant of works and as a rule of life.

jn15:
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love.
rom3;
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
rom7
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
You are right.
But only as far as the 10 commandments.
Christians put no stock in circumcision, dietary rules, feast keeping, sabbath keeping, tithing, etc.,...for salvation.

Christians see the law as Jesus' two commandments...Love God with all your heart, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.

You are right.
But only as far as the 10 commandments.
Christians put no stock in circumcision, dietary rules, feast keeping, sabbath keeping, tithing, etc.,...for salvation.

Christians see the law as Jesus' two commandments...Love God with all your heart, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
The 10 commandments include the Lords day/sabbath...Heb4:9
ceremonial laws are fulfilled In Jesus.
The law was never intended to be a way of salvation for sinners.

Jesus alone was a perfect law Keeper, for everyone believing.

The 10 commandments include the Lords day/sabbath...Heb4:9
For those who love God with all their heart, mind, and strength, every day is the Lord's.
ceremonial laws are fulfilled In Jesus.
Yep.
The law was never intended to be a way of salvation for sinners.
Correct.
Jesus alone was a perfect law Keeper, for everyone believing.
He was the first, but thankfully, not the last.

Back