Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians please answer

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
ThinkerMan said:
Eternal vs Infinite is semantics....if we live forever, we are eternal AND infinite in the sense of time. And mathematically, we are exactly as infinite and eternal as god.
I think he is saying that we have a starting point but no ending point. So infinite in one direction of time but not the other. Unless souls were around before the Big Bang.

But the point you make is still valid. If we are to spend an infinite amount of time in hell, then Jesus paying for our hell debt would have to spend infinity times the number of people that would have gone to hell to pay for it all.

Quath

Jesus suffered "in His flesh" as the payment for sins. Hell had nothing to do with it. His blood was what paid the redemption price for everyone's sins. This offering was made once and for all!
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

sorry.. TMan, your logic is fine on that plane..
but we are discussing another entirely...
a being is more than their lifespan.. in the sense that I was
discusing it is more along the lines of... hmmm how to explain it to
a non mage.. ?...........
mass.. volume.. power level... we don't begin to approach the
level or extent of God's totality of being.. even though as has been
stated, our lives will not have an endpoint...

think of it as we are this line of text.....
And God is this line of text... .......

that is a poor illustration at best but I am somewhat pressed for time.

Hope this helps BenjaminTC

mark

hhmmm ..

Perhaps Substance was the word I was searching for...

and a beter analogy might be thus..
You are a glass of water...
God is the ocean....

God Bless,

mark

cubedbee said:
Blue-Lightning said:
1. Jesus never went to Hell.

Please explain the following verses:

Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Eph 4:9 Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth
Prior to Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection Sheol (the place where the souls of the dead went to await judgement was divided into two areas. One was called Abraham's bosom or Paradise, the other was a place of torments. People could look from the place of torments and see those who were redeemed in Abraham's Bosom.

When Jesus died on the cross His spirit descended into Abraham's bosom where He announced He completion of the final sacrifice. When Christ was resurrected, "He led captivity captive" in other words those who had died believing in the promise of a coming Messiah out of Paradise and into the presence of God the Father. So, yes, Jesus did spend part of three days in Hell or Sheol, but it was in the area known as Abraham's Bosom or Paradise.

dmckay said:
So, yes, Jesus did spend part of three days in Hell or Sheol, but it was in the area known as Abraham's Bosom or Paradise.
Is this the Beverly Hills of Hell? Doesn't sound like a bad place to spend eternity if you are going to hell.

Quath

Quath,

Translators of Scripture have incorrectly translated three words for "hell": Tartarus, Hades, and Gehenna. If I am not mistaken, hades is the NT equivalent of the OT sheol. The final hell, where eternal torment will take place for eternity, is gehenna. "Abraham's Bosom" was (is?) the place of the righteous dead.

Free said:
Quath,

Translators of Scripture have incorrectly translated three words for "hell": Tartarus, Hades, and Gehenna. If I am not mistaken, hades is the NT equivalent of the OT sheol. The final hell, where eternal torment will take place for eternity, is gehenna. "Abraham's Bosom" was (is?) the place of the righteous dead.
No, the final destiny of Satan, the rebellious angels, and unsaved mankind is the Lake of Fire according to Revelation 20:13-15. This portion of Scripture also says that death and Hades will also be thrown into the Lake of Fire. vs 14.

Quath said:
dmckay said:
So, yes, Jesus did spend part of three days in Hell or Sheol, but it was in the area known as Abraham's Bosom or Paradise.
Is this the Beverly Hills of Hell? Doesn't sound like a bad place to spend eternity if you are going to hell.

Quath
Abraham's Bosom or Paradise was only a portion of Hades until Christ's resurrection. Paradise is now empty as those who resided there were taken to heaven. The separated section of Hades where the unsaved reside is a place of torments. Jesus' story of the rich man and Lazarus make this very clear. The rich man begged for a drop of water to soothe his tongue. He also pleaded for Lazarus to be sent back to Earth to warn his brothers of what was to come for them. I really don't think you even want to visit for a short while.

Jesus lived a perfect
I would not say being "murdered " for your sins, or atleast dieing at the age of (26?) to be perfect, by any means.

Jesus is God and God is Jesus
but that means the trinity should be the uhh diity?? lol. Father, son, holly spirit, father and son are the same (which means that he had sex with his own mom) which is rather disturbing and im pretty sure un-biblical.

I dont get that logic at all. If you have away to explain it diffrently, it would be greatly appreciated.

dmckay said:
Free said:
Quath,

No, the final destiny of Satan, the rebellious angels, and unsaved mankind is the Lake of Fire according to Revelation 20:13-15. This portion of Scripture also says that death and Hades will also be thrown into the Lake of Fire. vs 14.

Yes. Jesus talks about gehenna as being the final place of eternal torment. The final place of torment is also referred to as the lake of fire in Revelation. It follows that gehenna is the lake of fire. If not, you have to explain why there are two places of eternal torment.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back