Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians & Secular Music

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Question: "Should a Christian listen to secular music?"

Answer:
Many Christians struggle with this question. Many secular musicians are immensely talented. Secular music can be very entertaining. There are many secular songs that have catchy melodies, thoughtful insights, and positive messages. In determining whether or not to listen to secular music, there are three primary factors to consider: 1) the purpose of music, 2) the style of music, and 3) the content of the lyrics.

1) The purpose of music. Is music designed solely for worship, or did God also intend music to be soothing and/or entertaining? The most famous musician in the Bible, King David, primarily used music for the purpose of worshipping God (see Psalm 4:1; 6:1, 54, 55; 61:1; 67:1; 76:1). However, when King Saul was tormented by evil spirits, he would call on David to play the harp in order to soothe him (1 Samuel 16:14-23). The Israelites also used musical instruments to warn of danger (Nehemiah 4:20) and to surprise their enemies (Judges 7:16-22). In the New Testament, the apostle Paul instructs Christians to encourage one another with music: “Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs†(Ephesians 5:19). So, while the primary purpose of music does seem to be worship, the Bible definitely allows for other uses of music.

2) The style of music. Sadly, the issue of music styles can be very divisive among Christians. There are Christians who adamantly demand that no musical instruments be used. There are Christians who only desire to sing the “old faithful†hymns. There are Christians who want more upbeat and contemporary music. There are Christians who claim to worship best in a “rock concert†type of environment. Instead of recognizing these differences as personal preferences and cultural distinctions, some Christians declare their preferred style of music to be the only “biblical†one and declare all other forms of music to be unwholesome, ungodly, or even satanic.

The Bible nowhere condemns any particular style of music. The Bible nowhere declares any particular musical instrument to be ungodly. The Bible mentions numerous kinds of string instruments and wind instruments. While the Bible does not specifically mention drums, it does mention other percussion instruments (Psalm 68:25; Ezra 3:10). Nearly all of the forms of modern music are variations and/or combinations of the same types of musical instruments, played at different speeds or with heightened emphasis. There is no biblical basis to declare any particular style of music to be ungodly or outside of God’s will.

3) The content of the lyrics. Since neither the purpose of music nor the style of music determines whether a Christian should listen to secular music, the content of the lyrics must be considered. While not specifically speaking of music, Philippians 4:8 is an excellent guide for musical lyrics: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.†If we should be thinking about such things, surely those are the things we should invite into our minds through music and lyrics. Can the lyrics in a secular song be true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy? If so, then there is nothing wrong with a Christian listening to a secular song of that nature.

However, much of secular music does not meet the standard of Philippians 4:8. Secular music often promotes immorality and violence while belittling purity and integrity. If a song glorifies what opposes God, a Christian should not listen to it. However, there are many secular songs with no mention of God that still uphold godly values such as honesty, purity, and integrity. If a love song promotes the sanctity of marriage and/or the purity of true love—even if it does not mention God or the Bible—it can still be listened to and enjoyed.

Whatever a person allows to occupy his mind will sooner or later determine his speech and his actions. This is the premise behind Philippians 4:8 and Colossians 3:2, 5: establishing wholesome thought patterns. Second Corinthians 10:5 says we should “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.†These Scriptures give a clear picture of the kind of music we should not listen to.

Obviously, the best kind of music is that which praises and glorifies God. Talented Christian musicians work in nearly every musical genre, ranging from classical to rock, rap, and reggae. There is nothing inherently wrong with any particular style of music. It is the lyrics that determine whether a song is “acceptable†for a Christian to listen to. If anything leads you to think about or get involved in something that does not glorify God, it should be avoided.Should a Christian listen to secular music?

I agree the most productive or "best" music is that which involves worship of God.

But, I too, often listen to music to lift my spirits, or to gain inspiration - or to relax.

Is "secular" music ok? Well, in my late 20's and 30's I would have told you "NO". I refused to listen to ANY of it for a LONG time. Not sure if that was going too far or not. I sometimes listen to hymns or other Christian music or songs.... but other times I like other stuff. I mean, admit it - this kid can SING:

‪Avril Lavigne - I'm With You‬‏ - YouTube

That particular song, even at age 51 can sooth me. In a way, it's words could be sung to the Lord, even. (I challenge you to listen and see if you agree - I doubt she meant to intend it's object to be God - but the words fit in my mind - in those times of despair or loneliness, anyway.

Anyway, Lewis, you post interesting and challenging topics.

(Her words are easy to understand, but I'll post them here.
It sure sounds like she COULD be praying, she sure sounds lonely, scared and confused.
Have YOU ever felt that way?)

I'm standing on a bridge
I'm waiting in the dark
I thought that you'd be here by now
There's nothing but the rain
No footsteps on the ground
I'm listening but there's no sound

Isn't anyone tryin to find me?
Won't somebody come take me home
It's a damn cold night
Trying to figure out this life
Won't you take me by the hand
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

I'm looking for a place
I'm searching for a face
Is anybody here I know
'Cause nothing's going right
And everything's a mess
And no one likes to be alone

Isn't anyone trying to find me?
Won't somebody come take me home
It's a damn cold night
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

Oh why is everything so confusing
Maybe I'm just out of my mind
Yea yea yea

It's a damn cold night
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

Take me by the hand
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

Take me by the hand
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you
I'm with you...

Lewis W

This is an interesting piece from gotquestions.org. But the answer is incomplete. Two matters aren’t mentioned. First, how much of Christian music today is actually secular or near secular. Second, what kind of music is acceptable in the Worship of God.

4. Today, the division between Christian and secular music is almost nil. From the purpose, which is basically to make money; to the beat, which is basically cultural. While many differentiate between secular and Christian music based on “Christian†wording, the secular world itself knows better. It categorizes Christian music as “Gospel Musicâ€. It categorizes Christian music as primarily an accepted form of secular music. Even when Christian musicians sing hymns, the category is the same.

I rarely listen to Christian music because it is what it is. It has more to do with human reactions to contemporary Christian thinking, than with anything Biblical. Nevertheless, there are pieces that I like. One is “Another Hallelujah†by Lincoln Brewster. I like the words and the music. Yet it’s just a makeover of a definitely secular song about a bad man-woman relationship by Leonard Cohen who uses religious imagery recognizable to the Christian because he’s a Buddhist with a Jewish background. The identification isn’t so uncommon today because many secular musicians come from a Christian or Jewish background and many Christian musicians come from a secular background. But most Christian music is from the soul, not through the Spirit.

5. The homily/sermon is considered a part of the worship of God in all Christian Churches. That the sermon is considered this way by Protestants is seen in its predominant place in the Protestant Worship Service. There isn’t any such thing as a Sermon Service. And while a sermon may contain Scripture references or allusions to Scripture, it isn’t Scripture. Yet in Protestantism, The line between Scripture and sermon is generally non-existent. Reading the Scripture and speaking the sermon is basically considered the same thing in Protestant circles, practically speaking.

We must look at the hymnal in this same light. It too is the same as Scripture, practically speaking. But it isn’t Scripture. That’s why I referred to the hymnal in another thread as the second Bible. The hymnal is a written form that is used as a second Bible. In the Worship Services of pretty much all Christian Churches.

It’s usually claimed that hymns express New Testament thinking in a musical form, just like the homily/sermon expresses New Testament thinking in oral form. No problem in a Catholic setting wherein the authority of the Bible is secondary to the authority of the Church expressed authoritatively by its Tradition and contemporary leadership. But in Protestantism, where the Bible is claimed to be the ultimate authority, over oral and other written authorities? The sermon was the first, and the use of the hymnal was the second, show of incongruity that led me to see that Protestantism isn’t what it seems on the surface.

The Tradition in Christianity is to use hymnals in Christian worship. Which is very revealing. Not just because hymnals are Traditional. Rather, because the content of hymnals is for the most part denominational.

Hymns are according to the very nature of Christianity itself. Fits right in, as it were. And that is the elephant that Christians, especially Protestant Christians, rarely see, and when they do, they rarely talk about it.

Its generally agreed that the Bible is truly the written word of God. In Catholicism, Tradition and what is said by the contemporary leadership is considered just as much to be the word of God. But according to the Protestant claim, nothing, whether written or oral, is equal to the Bible, the written word of God. Unless Protestants wish to return from whence they came, they at least should make this claim effectual. But they rarely do. And that to me reveals that Protestantism is really no different from that which they came, except for the differences in Popes. The Protestant Popes are rarely recognized as such because they are a part of a Tradition, rather than contemporary. Martin Luther, John Calvin, and John Wesley are examples of Protestant Popes. Their thinking is considered to be proper interpretations of the Bible. And thereby they become as authoritative as the Bible in the eyes of those who follow them. Actually more authoritative, practically speaking. They believe in the interpretations more than in the Bible.

In the Jewish Worship Service, the hymnal is the Biblical Psalms. Many Christians claim that the Psalms were for the Jews and don’t relate to Christians. They should cut the Old Testament out of their Bible. Because the whole of the Old Testament was specifically written and compiled by Jews for Jews. The Old Testament was the only Bible available to the first New Covenant believers. The only reason a Christian would think different is because the New Testament writers quote the Old Testament to make their case. The Old Testament continues to be a part of the Christian Bible to the present day. The Old Testament has throughout its pages the revelation of Jesus Christ, according to the New Testament writers. And the quotes about Jesus Christ from the pages of the Old Testament are primarily from the Psalms. Are the Psalms just for the Jews, or are they for Christians also?

Just through a cursory reading the Psalms, one sees a wide range of responses to daily life. Much wider, much more comprehensive, than found in any hymnbook. And these responses always include an acknowledgement of God in our daily life in some way. And being the hymnal of the Bible, the written word of God, the Psalms aren’t denominational. Unless you want to consider Christianity a denomination of Judaism.

The Psalms Christian? Apparently not. Christians prefer to use hymnals as their second Bible.

FC

Pizzaguy

If you’re into sad sounding songs, you should try “Damien Rice†by 9 Crimes. Or “Hurtâ€, the version by Johnny Cash. Or “Waiting for You†by Richard Marx. And liking the unusual, I find the theme song from Twin Peaks soothing, the sung version being called “Falling†sung by Julee Cruise.

The song you mention about a girl who goes off with a stranger because she’s lonely, is indeed a nice piece of music. And her voice is good, unusually clear in this song. It doesn’t hurt that she’s cute. She has quite a repertoire for one so young. This song about loneliness is something that everyone experiences at one time or another.

But as far as soothing, I prefer some of the songs on YouTube in the category of relaxation music. Music by Vangelis is quite soothing, like “Reve†and the love theme from the movie “Blade Runnerâ€. I find John Klemmer’s early work quite soothing, like “Touch†and “Waterwheelsâ€. Some of the music from the East can be quite soothing. One piece I’ve gotten into recently is called on YouTube, “Buddhist Chants Peace Music – Hanshan Templeâ€. Of course, I can’t understand the words. And you might try one that’s on YouTube under several different names because it’s well liked. I have it as “Relax – Buddhist Meditation Music – Zen Garden -.....†And you might check through some of the music by Paul Collier.

I’ve never gotten into the usual Christian Music. It’s too much like secular music. And the secular bands do the secular sound much better. The only recent piece of Christian music I like is “Another Hallelujah†by Lincoln Brewster, and then only the first couple of minutes before he goes into the percussion and yelling emphasis. The original of that song is by a Buddhist with a Jewish background. So the original words about a failed relationship have what could be recognized as religious overtones.

When I was first converted, somebody turned me on to a Christian singer, Nancy Honeytree. I really liked her music. She was originally part of the “Jesus Movementâ€. And her voice had an unusual quality. And again, it didn’t hurt that she was cute. I don’t think she even sings anymore. At least I haven’t heard anything recent. She must be in her sixties by now.

Of course, one’s taste in music is a rather personal thing.

FC

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back