Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Colors and Symbols

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Manonfire63

Why is envy associated with the color green? Like a Green Eyed Monster? I was looking that up the other day, and it comes from the Shakespeare play Othello. During Shakespeare times, colors were associated with certain emotions, and it was general knowledge. Was someone blue, like singing the blues? Yellow has been associated with being a coward. Purple, like a Purple heart, has been associated with bravery.

I am not sure where all these color association came from, but I am aware that the Catholic Church had various color associations with its Liturgy. I believe there is something to it. God may have uses for certain things like colors or symbols, and they may mean something to him, and to man, made in the image of God.

What do you see?

Why is envy associated with the color green? Like a Green Eyed Monster? I was looking that up the other day, and it comes from the Shakespeare play Othello. During Shakespeare times, colors were associated with certain emotions, and it was general knowledge. Was someone blue, like singing the blues? Yellow has been associated with being a coward. Purple, like a Purple heart, has been associated with bravery.

I am not sure where all these color association came from, but I am aware that the Catholic Church had various color associations with its Liturgy. I believe there is something to it. God may have uses for certain things like colors or symbols, and they may mean something to him, and to man, made in the image of God.

What do you see?
Yes, The Catholic Church uses colours in it's liturgical vestments but not for the reasons above.

White is the colour of heaven and is used for feasts of the Lord; Christmas and Easter

Red is the colour of fire and blood and is used to celebrate feasts of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) and Martyrs.

Green is the theological virtue of hope. It is the colour of growing things and hope, like them is always fresjh and growing

Violet/Purple is a dark colour and is the colour of Advent and Lent, the seasons of preparation and penance.

Rose/Pink is a lighter version of Violet and is used for two "rejoicing" Sundays during Advent (Gaudate Sunday) and Lent (Laetare Sunday)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back