Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

confused mother of 22yo no sex but adoption?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have an adult daughter, she is a VERY Christian. She doesn't want to get married, and have sex at all because of 1 Corinthians 7:8-9.
She wants to adopt a child. She's saying that no point to bring another kid into the world when here are already so many children who need a mother.

it's fine with me, but my own mother is saying it's a crazy idea, and she blames ME for my daughter's decision.
I'm so confused, we live together and argue every day. Please, ANY advice!
1 Corinthians 7:8, 9 does not teach against marriage. Who gave her that idea? Ddd she read the seven verses ahead of that passage? Did anyone else in the house?

The apostle tells the Corinthians that it was good, in that juncture of time and for their specific circumstance, for them to remain single. But one needs to understand what kind of city Corinth was. It was the chief port city for the Roman empire. It was a city of prostitution and indulgence. Many of the young people in the Corinthian church were likely straight off the streets and into faith in Christ. They were not prepared to come to a marital relationship, as they hadn't even figured out who they were outside of their identity on the streets. In that respect, street kids have always been the same, and always will be.

But Paul also says that marriage, and the comforts of that state, are settled by divine wisdom. None will break the law of God by not marrying or marrying, but His perfect rule leaves men at liberty to serve him in the way most suited to their powers and circumstances, of which others often are very unfit judges. All must determine for themselves, seeking counsel from God how they ought to act.

But to claim that verse as a reason to not get married, as though God is forbidding it, is a gross misunderstanding and misinterpretation of God's word.

But to claim that verse as a reason to not get married, as though God is forbidding it, is a gross misunderstanding and misinterpretation of God's word.

I certainly agree, but I don't think anyone here is claiming that.

If someone doesn't want to get married and have sex, then this verse supports such a life style.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back