Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Couples Praying Together

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
A few months back, an engaged couplethat I know, now married, were told that they do not need to pray together, and to let that be something for when they are married together. Caroline and I have refused to let the other sleep unless we've prayed together before going to bed. We both recognize prayer as having sweetened our relationship soo much. However, what do you think, is it okay for couples to pray together?

Luke 18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; :)

God Bless!
Allen

I had always believed that any couple should pray together. :thumb
But I have heard the other argument that people who arent married shouldnt pray together...though I understand their argument, I still think its dangerous to suggest that they shouldnt pray together. :bigfrown
Some believe that people can use prayer as a "weapon" so-to-speak. :eyebrow

For example..lets say the couple has an argument... :sad
One might pray "Dear Lord, I pray that you will help my partner to stop annoying me.. :naughty "

All couples prior to marriage need to always keep in mind that they are not in a covenant yet and should not use prayer as a tool for guilt tripping the other person. :yes

But yeah I definately believe couples should pray together! If not..does that mean they shouldnt go to church together??? It just makes no sense to me.. :screwloose

I've never understood the argument that unmarried couples shouldn't pray together, but maybe that's becuase I havent heard it explained why. Timothy and I have prayed together every evening since day one of our relationship, and it has been a very helpful way to keep us focused. We know of a pastor who told our friends who are now married that they shouldn't be praying together until they got married, but I have no idea why someone would discourage that.

Back