Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Cut the cord to satellite/cable TV!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
V

Vanguard

My wife and I are going to be "cutting the cord" to DirecTV in the spring, when our contract is up. Our entire house (and yard) is covered by our wireless DSL router, and with a Netflix account, Amazon Prime account, and Hulu Plus account, combined with 2 smart TVs, 1 Xbox and 1 Roku XS, we get all the movie/shows we could possibly want.

The price difference is astronomical! Our DTV package is roughly ~$75 a month without premium channels. I am subject to what THEY have programmed to watch. 300 channels and nothing on.

:grumpy

The combined price each month for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Xbox Live is less than $30 a month! Between these and an attic mounted indoor HD antenna for local channels (that I get for free from 3 different cities), why bother with cable or satellite? I choose what I want to watch!

:thumbsup

Congratulations on your good decision! I did this same thing (almost exactly, I just don't have the HD antenna) almost three years ago now and don't see ever going back to DTV or any other service like that. My DTV package alone was costing me around $140/month with very little programming that interested me. It's funny, DTV STILL emails me spam several times a week begging me to come back. One time they asked me what they could do to get me back, so I hit reply and typed they could offer me on demand commercial free movies for $10/month with no other hidden charges. A little while later I got a message that the email address doesn't accept replies! :-D

I guess you guys will save some money, anyway; a bit like quitting smoking, driving a diesel-powered automobile, etc.

I have had Comcast cable internet and NOTHING else since 2009.
TV is a wasteland, and I imagine this week, it's full of inaccurate and sensational coverage of the shooting out east, where the shooter is talked about for hours on end - just how he wanted it to be.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back