Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Dark Chocolate anyone?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

tim-from-pa

As usual, there is some good advice out there, in this case the antioxidant properties of dark cocoa (polyphenols that reduce oxidative stress), and what does the news media do? They show crappy, high-fructose, processed chocolate candy in the picture so that people get the wrong idea. What we are to do is use plain, natural cocoa. Put some into your coffee for a good, healthy dose of antioxidants.

http://cooks.ndtv.com/article/show/eating-dark-chocolate-may-make-walking-easier-552899

Now along that line, they mention PAD (peripheral artery disease) as a worry that this cocoa can help alleviate. As much as I dislike doctors, they are good for some things, one of which is taking an ankle to brachial ratio (index) blood pressure. What is that, you ask? That's something your doctor probably does not do often, if at all, and that's more important than a truckload of BP pills and cholesterol pills. Basically, it's taking your arm pressure, and then the BP in your leg at the ankle.

Now, let Mr. "Sir Isaac Newton lite" here explain some fluid dynamic physics here. This is all math and physics. If your leg arteries narrow, it's like putting your finger in the garden hose and it squirts out really fast because you narrowed the opening. That's what's going on with your blood going into your extremedies. When water or air flow like that, the pressure drops on the side of the fast flow, so you get lower BP at your legs. A 0.9 ratio (using systolic readings) or less is cause for concern. For example, if your leg pressure is 100, and your arm is 120, that's a ratio of 0.83, and narrowing is suspected. Mine is a ratio of about 1.25 (give or take a little) meaning if my arm systolic is 120, the BP at my leg is 150. This is nice and normal (1.0-1.4).

Air works the same way. If you could circulate and force high speed air into a room, like a powerful fan pushing air into a room, the barometric pressure will drop and go down in that room. A tornado has the opposite effect making the barometric pressure in the calm interior of the house go up and thus "explode".

Just thought I'd throw in a little science so that we know this thread is more than eating the (right kind of) chocolate.

I have always loved dark chocolate, and that is the purchase of choice. I limit the intake to either 1 or 2 small pieces per day. If that dark chocolate just happens to be wrapped around a Brazil nut....all the better! Yum!

(I have very low blood pressure.)

I have always loved dark chocolate, and that is the purchase of choice. I limit the intake to either 1 or 2 small pieces per day. If that dark chocolate just happens to be wrapped around a Brazil nut....all the better! Yum!

(I have very low blood pressure.)
My daughter has low blood pressure too.I used to when I was younger.My daughter loves tea.Green tea and white tea but she can not drink it because it drops her blood pressure so much.When she first told me that I thought....OH BOY that is what I am going to drink.Well,yes it keeps my pressure lower.

As usual, there is some good advice out there, in this case the antioxidant properties of dark cocoa (polyphenols that reduce oxidative stress), and what does the news media do? They show crappy, high-fructose, processed chocolate candy in the picture so that people get the wrong idea. What we are to do is use plain, natural cocoa. Put some into your coffee for a good, healthy dose of antioxidants.

http://cooks.ndtv.com/article/show/eating-dark-chocolate-may-make-walking-easier-552899

Now along that line, they mention PAD (peripheral artery disease) as a worry that this cocoa can help alleviate. As much as I dislike doctors, they are good for some things, one of which is taking an ankle to brachial ratio (index) blood pressure. What is that, you ask? That's something your doctor probably does not do often, if at all, and that's more important than a truckload of BP pills and cholesterol pills. Basically, it's taking your arm pressure, and then the BP in your leg at the ankle.

Now, let Mr. "Sir Isaac Newton lite" here explain some fluid dynamic physics here. This is all math and physics. If your leg arteries narrow, it's like putting your finger in the garden hose and it squirts out really fast because you narrowed the opening. That's what's going on with your blood going into your extremedies. When water or air flow like that, the pressure drops on the side of the fast flow, so you get lower BP at your legs. A 0.9 ratio (using systolic readings) or less is cause for concern. For example, if your leg pressure is 100, and your arm is 120, that's a ratio of 0.83, and narrowing is suspected. Mine is a ratio of about 1.25 (give or take a little) meaning if my arm systolic is 120, the BP at my leg is 150. This is nice and normal (1.0-1.4).

Air works the same way. If you could circulate and force high speed air into a room, like a powerful fan pushing air into a room, the barometric pressure will drop and go down in that room. A tornado has the opposite effect making the barometric pressure in the calm interior of the house go up and thus "explode".

Just thought I'd throw in a little science so that we know this thread is more than eating the (right kind of) chocolate.
I use to love dark chocolate when I could have it.The darker it is the more bitter it is and the healthier.It is loaded with antitoxants.

I don't care much for green tea, and I really do prefer coffee. In my case, the low blood pressure is hereditary; my oldest & my youngest inherited it as well.

I don't care much for green tea, and I really do prefer coffee. In my case, the low blood pressure is hereditary; my oldest & my youngest inherited it as well.
I am a tea drinker but I don't like the taste of green tea.It is just too earthy,grassy tasting to me.I drink white tea.It is incredibly healthy.It has a very small amount of caffeine in it.I can not drink coffee and high caffeine products.It is very bad for my anxiety.

I like dark chocolate, but lately my doctor's waved me off from it. She thinks I might have hyperthyroidism, and chocolate is apparently bad for me.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back