Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Daughter in auto accident

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That's plural, as in bolts. Bolts for a stove.

I'm not sure what one does with bolts and a stove, I've never seen bolts on one. (Sheet metal screws yes, not bolts) It conjures up a humorous image of a stove made of nothing but bolts, lol. I wonder if that's why we mistakenly read it as Steve Bolts?

I've mentioned this before but I never actually addressed him by the name Steve, but when I first signed up I thought that's what it said and that it was his first and last name. Apparently I wasn't alone. :lol That's why I jokingly told him that he might as well change his name to that. Then there wouldn't be anymore issues. Lol! :hysterical

Ha ha ha, very funny folks!
Eh hum. For the record. :)

My Dad hates Chevy. I love them. Dad was a Volvo mechanic and that's where I learned to work on cars. My first car was a 66 Chevy. He hated that car and every Chevy I owned since, except my 68 Camaro. He could get 3rd gear rubber and 4th gear cherp in it, and he liked that lol.

He grew up in a one room log cabin in the mountains of northern Idaho. Stoves kept you warm in the winter and a good stove had good bolts to hold it together. Those stoves were durable and lasted forever. According to my Dad, you could guage a stove based on the bolts it used.

Apparently this crossed over to the old Chevy trucks and one of their engines was nicknamed a stovebolt because of its toughness.

So, when my Dad nicknamed my car Stovebolts, I thought it was honorable. It was old, rusty and worn, but he could get a 4th gear cherp out of her.

Back then, I spent a lot of time on car forums but most of those guys were egotistical jerks, and in 2004 I found this place. People have been calling me Steve every since lol!

Northern Idaho?
We talking Stanley or Courdelane perhaps?
St. Marie's. About 10 miles up in the woods. If I was on my computer, I would post pictures of the cabin he was born and raised in.

They were loggers. I even have pictures of the horse team they used for pulling logs out of the woods.

Hard to believe he grew up with no running water or electricity.

St. Marie's. About 10 miles up in the woods. If I was on my computer, I would post pictures of the cabin he was born and raised in.

They were loggers. I even have pictures of the horse team they used for pulling logs out of the woods.

Paul Bunyan came from closer to my neck of the woods though! Those were tough folk. A ski hill in that area has humorous posters of Paul Bunyan skiing and snowboarding on logs, lol.

The sport of lumberjack competitions is based on the river they used to float their timber down from that part of the world to civilization. I'll be going to it tomorrow; also to the spot where I looked straight down at a bald eagle in flight! What a once in a lifetime thing that was ...

Paul Bunyan came from closer to my neck of the woods though! Those were tough folk. A ski hill in that area has humorous posters of Paul Bunyan skiing and snowboarding on logs, lol.

The sport of lumberjack competitions is based on the river they used to float their timber down from that part of the world to civilization. I'll be going to it tomorrow; also to the spot where I looked straight down at a bald eagle in flight! What a once in a lifetime thing that was ...
My great grandfather was a logger in Michigan and moved to Idaho chasing the dream. He passed that down to my Grandfather who I never met. My Dad was driving a log truck as a young teen and 9th grade was his last year of school. He didnt ski or swim.
The Eagles are still in the area and I still enjoy seeing them in Cour'delane each year. They are beautiful!

My fil did ,he was too poor to even drink milk

My fil did ,he was too poor to even drink milk
I think it was my great grandfather who came to America. I'll have to ask my wife who does our genealogy. Anyway, logging in Michigan was slowing down, so instead of going broke and poor, he was lured to the promise of big money with the logging that was just getting started in Idaho.
It was a good enough living that they had a steam powered tractor, but the horses did a better job. I know they had chickens, and I think goats.
He never went hungry and he still tells me about poaching deer with his .22.
My step Mom, she went hungry a lot which is why she over buys food even to this day. She tells a story as a kid being sick of eating beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One day she got so sick of it she threw them away. She didnt know that was the last she would eat for several days.
She says the next day, all she could think about was the bowl of beans she threw away.

BTW, she makes the best beans in the world. Everyone in the family loves them.

I think it was my great grandfather who came to America. I'll have to ask my wife who does our genealogy. Anyway, logging in Michigan was slowing down, so instead of going broke and poor, he was lured to the promise of big money with the logging that was just getting started in Idaho.
It was a good enough living that they had a steam powered tractor, but the horses did a better job. I know they had chickens, and I think goats.
My step Mom, she went hungry a lot which is why she over buys food even to this day. She tells a story as a kid being sick of eating beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One day she got so sick of it she threw them away. She didnt know that was the last she would eat for several days.
She says the next day, all she could think about was the bowl of beans she threw away.

The home fil lived in still stands ,it was moved by his sister .she waa saved .she died in 2013 .I have photos of that home .1896 construction and was a grove home for her dad when he worked for haffield

My Dad hates Chevy. I love them. Dad was a Volvo mechanic and that's where I learned to work on cars. My first car was a 66 Chevy. He hated that car and every Chevy I owned since, except my 68 Camaro. He could get 3rd gear rubber and 4th gear cherp in it, and he liked that lol.

He grew up in a one room log cabin in the mountains of northern Idaho. Stoves kept you warm in the winter and a good stove had good bolts to hold it together. Those stoves were durable and lasted forever. According to my Dad, you could guage a stove based on the bolts it used.

Apparently this crossed over to the old Chevy trucks and one of their engines was nicknamed a stovebolt because of its toughness.

So, when my Dad nicknamed my car Stovebolts, I thought it was honorable. It was old, rusty and worn, but he could get a 4th gear cherp out of her.

Back then, I spent a lot of time on car forums but most of those guys were egotistical jerks, and in 2004 I found this place. People have been calling me Steve every since lol!
So glad I wasn't the only one! Thanks for sharing the history behind Stovebolts!

Yet another reminder that as crazy as these times are, things have been much worse!

On that house

https://indianriverguardian.com/2014/12/04/otter-pelts-provided-income-for-local-couple/

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back