Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Debating Cavinism {five points, two views}

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Dave...

A written debate between Dave Hunt and James White.

Anyone read this? What did you think?

I was a bit disapointed because of Dave Hunt's inability to debate honestly. James White had to spend too much space refuting the straw men that Dave Hunt kept throwing up about Calvinism.

White stated in part of his final affirmation; "No matter how often a straw man is put down, it comes right back up again in another chapter on different topics. Such constant errors as saying that Calvinism denies that man has a will, denies that faith is important in salvation, and denies the use of the gospel in calling men to salvation have all been refuted, and yet they appear in Hunt's final presentations just as they did in his initial ones."

Setting the "tactics" of Hunt aside, which took away from the debate, what White did accomplish was to expos Hunt as one who is unqualified to debate Calvinism because Hunt willfully refuses to Confront true Calvinism.

Here is one review that hit the nail on the head.

http://www.blogspy.com/contend/bookDebating.html

I'm biased, I think Dr. White does a better job explaining the Biblical view of salvation.

is there a place I could find a transcript of this debate? I would be interested in reading it!

thanks in advance

I've been considering reading this book. From what little I've read of White, I like him :) From what I've read by Hunt, I'm torn... while "generally" coming to "somewhat" similar conclusions, his "logic" drives me nuts.

I'm often rather alone with that view though.

nstinson2004, this is most likely referring to a book that was released (last fall?) by the two men.

Back