Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does anybody believe in Exodus

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
H

Hearst

Genesis gets all the attention, but any argument for and against is pointless. Haha, I loved Huckabee's answer to the question: "I don't know, I wasn't there" And that is the ultimate truth for any argument.

However, Exodus is another case. No Egyptian records (not the Hyskos, not Ipuwer Papyrus, not Didomose). No Greek records. No non-canon records. Is this just a "myth" as people consider genesis, a fictional story to prove God's Covenant? Thoughts

I don't think that either Genesis or Exodus are myths.

No, I don't beleive they are "myths" either. There is plenty of archeological evidence to support many things in Exodus and the rest of the OT, and the internal evidence from other OT books is overwhelming when you look at who quoted, supported, and incorporated scripture from Exodus. How many of the writers of other OT (and NT for that matter) books would have been discredited by the peers of their day if they had supported a known "myth"...I think to say such is nonsense.

caromurp said:
No, I don't beleive they are "myths" either. There is plenty of archeological evidence to support many things in Exodus and the rest of the OT, and the internal evidence from other OT books is overwhelming when you look at who quoted, supported, and incorporated scripture from Exodus. How many of the writers of other OT (and NT for that matter) books would have been discredited by the peers of their day if they had supported a known "myth"...I think to say such is nonsense.

Do you have any examples of archeological evidence? I'm talking about the Ten Plagues, the parting of the Red Sea, the overall story. As for credibility, the "myth" narrative was the universal expression of religion and culture. Just as the Greeks accepted Mt. Olympus, the Egyptians Horus, and the Babylonians the Epic of Gilgamesh as true historical events. The existence of these stories obviously proves that the creator's peers took them seriously, or they would have not lasted the thousand of years of their respected existences.

Although this was in reference to interpreting prophecy, it applies here too:

One can more appropriately blame past historians for lack of accurate recording or the destruction of recorded history, rather than placing all the events after that missing link into the future. For example, the great library in Alexandria, Egypt was destroyed as were many other ancient libraries, causing an enormous loss of knowledge of recorded history.
http://www.bibleplus.org/prophecy/kings.html

As for the myths mentioned, none of them have stood the test of time. Why is that? Why is it that the majority from the three major religions still hold fast to the Exodus story?

Here are some thoughts on why the Exodus story in some form or fashion, may be true.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bible/meyers.html

I believe the Bible.

Some pastors have gone over to the Biblical Areas, and foreign tour guides tell stories about the places like "this is where Moses did this, etc". I think the tour guides stories may be dubious, but it shows that there is actually a lot of stock still in Biblical events, even if archeology may not give all of them credit (and many probably are not credible). But I do believe there has been documentation, people just probably dismissed it or they forget that other languages have documented it, they just don't read Arabic or Egyptian or etc.

and I think if the Pharaoh did not document that he lost his slaves and his army, maybe he was thought the story made him look like a wimp so he wanted to change history for his pride. who knows, but I believe the Bible.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back