Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Don`t delay new nuclear plants"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
gas in 2000 was 1.50 a gallon. gas in 2008 as of nov 08 was 4.50. your point?

j:

Agreed, but I remember that OPEC quadrupled the price overnight, back in 1973.

Whose interests are touchy feely campaigners who focus on a single issue serving? this is always the question to ask, however emotionally appealing their argument might be. (I live near a nuclear plant, too, actually.)

j:

Agreed, but I remember that OPEC quadrupled the price overnight, back in 1973.

Whose interests are touchy feely campaigners who focus on a single issue serving? this is always the question to ask, however emotionally appealing their argument might be. (I live near a nuclear plant, too, actually.)

lol. i was born in 73.the problem here is when the economy is good and gas isnt too high. people forget that we need to edge to cleaner and safer technology. There's nothing that is totally safe. oil, and coal we already know the danger. solar and wind aslo pollute.Now nuke power has always been a danger. dams crack and can also be damaged by some weather or earthquakes.

Well, the message of 1975 Condor, by Sidney Polack, is still with us. We need energy, and not only the sort that single issue campaigners want.

of course. the problem is energy isnt cheap. we will pay for it someway and or another and no source is infinite. we can burn trash tilll the cows come home but sooner or later the things we need to build have to be from a finite. plasmarc gasification doesnt burn recyclables.

Jason, I don`t have a problem if the people want it, but honestly don`t you think the timing for this announcement was atrocious?
Actually, no it wasn't atrocious. First, not ALL of us are paranoid about nuclear energy - or even the reactor in trouble in Japan. This is certainly an emergency, but based on what I know about the Japanese, they will deal with it effectively.

I read in America people are buying out potassium iodide because they fear the Japanese radiation will get to America.
Wrong - Americans are not buying out those pills - a very small number of people are over reacting to media hype and their own ignorance.

The announcement could have waited until the crisis was over. Lots of Americans have family in Japan so this crisis in Japan affects Americans in a personal way too.
My son and his wife are over there. She is in Tokyo and he's on a ship SOMEWHERE in the area. Thanks for your concern!

It`s just insensitive, but the democrats are supposed to be the kings of sensitivity.
I've never seen the democrats that way, but they sure do try to portray themselves in that light, don't they?

Back to the point of your post:
Jason, I don`t have a problem if the people want it, but honestly don`t you think the timing for this announcement was atrocious?
No. It was timed perfectly. One of the Obama administration's mantras is "Do'nt let a good crisis go to waste". This is a real crisis, that makes it a "good crisis". Now, Obama is obviously in over his head as president. He wants to look like a leader. His announcement is ENTIRELY designed and timed to make him look like a leader. You cannot look like a leader by saying what people want to hear - you do it by making bold, brave, visionary statements. And when you can't do that - you do what Obama just did - you make a statement that uses the crisis to make yourself look like a leader.

THAT is why he's saying this.

and also hydroelectric(not all states can do this).

Actually all states can do this.. They have lakes but the thing is there is a steal mill I think in ill. that uses hydroelectic stream type power and sells it back to the grid. They use the heat that's needed to make metal to turn water into steam then passes through the turbine then to a cooler part of the plant to cool it off then it goes back in a circle. If other companies did this when they create heat for what they make and sell power back to the grid it might just put power companies out of business with current laws and regulations. However it would create much more power and no carbine footprint.

But that being said i'm not opposed to doing nuclear now. I mean Japan mostly stood up and it's an old GE design. GE has now upgraded that design big time and these old things are still doing ok considering how bad Japan got hit.

Actually, no it wasn't atrocious. First, not ALL of us are paranoid about nuclear energy - or even the reactor in trouble in Japan. This is certainly an emergency, but based on what I know about the Japanese, they will deal with it effectively.

Wrong - Americans are not buying out those pills - a very small number of people are over reacting to media hype and their own ignorance.

My son and his wife are over there. She is in Tokyo and he's on a ship SOMEWHERE in the area. Thanks for your concern!

I've never seen the democrats that way, but they sure do try to portray themselves in that light, don't they?

Back to the point of your post:

No. It was timed perfectly. One of the Obama administration's mantras is "Do'nt let a good crisis go to waste". This is a real crisis, that makes it a "good crisis". Now, Obama is obviously in over his head as president. He wants to look like a leader. His announcement is ENTIRELY designed and timed to make him look like a leader. You cannot look like a leader by saying what people want to hear - you do it by making bold, brave, visionary statements. And when you can't do that - you do what Obama just did - you make a statement that uses the crisis to make yourself look like a leader.

THAT is why he's saying this.

Well, I don`t think it makes him look like a good leader. I think a good leader would wait till the crisis is over and then bring it up in a respectful manner not a "don`t delay" manner. Acting brashly is not a mark of leadership in my opinion. Of course, leaders should not flip flop and they should be able to make good firm decisions. And in the moment of crisis they have to make quick decisions, but America is not in a crisis like Japan so America can afford to take a little more time with a decision. There is no urgent rush as I see it. If things are urgent then just drill up the oil in Alaska that`s the fastest way, but things are not at that point.

As for being atrocious, I mean it is atrocious in the sense of a total lack of respect and sensitivity and atrocious in the sense that the statement given was like we have to rush and do this with no delay. I don`t mean atrocious in the sense of looking for an energy option. All options I suppose have to be considered. It is only wise to do so, but I still think the timing was/is atrocious and a major sign of horrible judgement in his ability to lead.

Well, I don`t think it makes him look like a good leader.

Acting brashly is not a mark of leadership in my opinion.

...I still think the timing was/is atrocious and a major sign of horrible judgement in his ability to lead.

I could not agree more.

Actually all states can do this.. They have lakes but the thing is there is a steal mill I think in ill. that uses hydroelectic stream type power and sells it back to the grid. They use the heat that's needed to make metal to turn water into steam then passes through the turbine then to a cooler part of the plant to cool it off then it goes back in a circle. If other companies did this when they create heat for what they make and sell power back to the grid it might just put power companies out of business with current laws and regulations. However it would create much more power and no carbine footprint.

But that being said i'm not opposed to doing nuclear now. I mean Japan mostly stood up and it's an old GE design. GE has now upgraded that design big time and these old things are still doing ok considering how bad Japan got hit.
one has to gravity to make hyrdoelectric. where in the state of Florida is their suffecient evalation to do that on a level that the hoover dam does it? the highest point in Florida is 325 ft.Wind and or solar are the more viable ones hear.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back