Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Exploding transformers

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
electricity is simple nothing complex no big deal.... Ya just flip the switch

LOL!
Try to imagine that electricity is water. Wires are pipes. Switches are valves and so forth. This idea works much better with DC. For six years in Colorado I ran the electrical dept. in a transit bus manufacturing plant. It is a real rare breed that can pick up troubleshooting aspects. Most of my people were assemblers only. We found that women made the best assemblers.

Johnny, not sure what this has to do with exploding transformers?

Sorry Jason, but Ohm's Law is: I (current--rate of flow of electrons--measured in amperes) = V (potential difference, measured in volts) / R (resistance, measure in ohms). Which means that V=IR. :biggrin

sorry, we dont use

we dont use v in that term here. i was taught to use e for some reason.

i will have to dig up the old ase manuals from that.

Even dc is a brain strain sometimes if you can even comprehend that you are doing better than many.

more knowledge if you want.

In our country I am not sure how it works in the states but Australian and European countries the power lines you see in the streets area one way thing for 240 volts The power is coming from the generator winding on one side at the power station while the other side is tied into the earth. Just like a car body takes the negative wire from the battery, so when the power returns from my home to the power station negative it travels underground from the substation where a transformer is to the ground connection of the generator to complete the loop.

That's why power cables spark and jump around on the roads when they fall down its a bit like a wire touching the frame of your car, and how come people get bad electric shocks standing on the ground.

ther you go guys a bit of trivia for ya

ya forgot the neutral side of the house and aslo that in dc it can flow in reverse and in ac it switches,that freq 50 hz is the that full cycle of 120 postive to 120 negative and back again.

What you do is...
Get one of these...
PlasticPig03.jpg

Remove the transformer and build an acrylic casing....

PlasticPig01.jpg

Add clear transformer oil and you get a pole pig under glass (well, plastic :biggrin)
"Pole pig" is slang for these transformers.
This one is intended to take in 14,400 volts and step it down to 240 volts. What I do is put in 240 volts and I get 14,400 volts out for high voltage projects. Transformers work both ways.

PlasticPig02.jpg

OK, since some of you are talking theory, I cannot help but to interject some of my own electronic technology stuff. We heard of "turns ratio", right? Technically that is not correct except for a transformer like we are talking about with unity coupling, or a power transformer. And even then, whether we are talking about power transformers, tuning transformers such as in a radio, or whatever else, the amount of voltage induced into the secondary is the product (like Ohm's Law) of the primary current times the mutual inductive reactance. The heavier the load, the more current the primary takes, and the more voltage induced into the secondary. However, in the case of a power transformer, most of that voltage becomes the same as the secondary's counter EMF and is across the inductor, or I should say, cancels it out. The remaining voltage goes to the load. In the case of unity coupling, it works out mathematically that the turns ratio is the voltage the load gets.

Here's a simple way to analyze all transformers (including tuning ones)

1) The presence of the secondary circuit is called the coupled impedance and goes in series with the primary. Zc=Xm^2/Zs (Xm= mutual inductive reactance) and Zs=Secondary impedance) and has the same but opposite phase angle as the secondary. Xm=2*PI*f*M where M=k*Sqr(L1*L2)
2) You analyze the primary (as if there is no secondary) by treating the Zc and the primary impedance the way any AC circuit would be analyzed. From that, calculate the primary current.
3) The Secondary voltage is then the primary current you calculated times the Xm, i.e. Es=Ip x Xm.
4) To analyze the secondary, you "remove the primary" and treat the secondary as if the calculated voltage was placed in series with the secondary coil and the load. Again, analyze it like any (series) AC circuit.

Even if you follow this procedure, you will find that a power transformer always comes out to the turns ratio, but for less coupling between inductors this is not true and for you folks into radio, you will see a bell-shaped current curve through the load at certain frequencies when the transformer is said to be "tuned".

What you do is...
Get one of these...
PlasticPig03.jpg

Remove the transformer and build an acrylic casing....

PlasticPig01.jpg

Add clear transformer oil and you get a pole pig under glass (well, plastic :biggrin)
"Pole pig" is slang for these transformers.
This one is intended to take in 14,400 volts and step it down to 240 volts. What I do is put in 240 volts and I get 14,400 volts out for high voltage projects. Transformers work both ways.

PlasticPig02.jpg
i was wondering when you would show up.lol. did you ever finish that other one and get it going? i remember you stopped and had to work on the house.

darn tesla coils. such an evil man that was a darn genius!

ya forgot the neutral side of the house and aslo that in dc it can flow in reverse and in ac it switches,that freq 50 hz is the that full cycle of 120 postive to 120 negative and back again.
I was simplifying the concept of how power comes from the power station to us and returns for those not particularly conversant with electrical ac theory. I have found in the past simplifying it makes electrical concepts much more easily understood

i was wondering when you would show up.lol. did you ever finish that other one and get it going? i remember you stopped and had to work on the house.

darn tesla coils. such an evil man that was a darn genius!

All funds are going to the house right now and probably will be for some time yet. But I have everything for the project and will pick it back up again when I can.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back