Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Family

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Josh2010

So I have a problem with my family thinking that I'm not into God and my church as much as I really am. My mom thinks that I'm not very "Godly" and walking on the path I should be.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about showing my family that I have more faith than they think I do?

It has nothing to do with what your family or friends think, but what you know and hold in your own heart having that relationship with Jesus. People think we should act all holier than thou like carrying a Bible in our hand all the time and every word that proceeds from our mouth needs to be holier than thou. Some can not see the light of Christ shine in you and through you as they are blinded from that light even if they call themselves a Christian. You are very young and in the process of your Spiritual growth and I commend you at your age that you are trying to walk with Jesus. Just be yourself and keep going to church and reading your Bible.

My mom thinks that I'm not very "Godly" and walking on the path I should be.
First question is, what does your mother think being ' Godly ' looks like?
2nd question is how different is your lifestyle from your mothers lifestyle?

3rd question, have you asked her what does she expect of you?

Do some research, what does the bible say about Godly living and how well do you fulfill it?

Hey All,
Josh2010, you sound fairly young. I am guessing somewhere in your teens; am I right? That is usually the time parents and children have conflicts.
What makes your mom think that? Ask her directly. Listen to what she says. Don't get defensive and start making excuses. She is your mom and loves you. Maybe your actions do not match your words in her eyes. You may be doing something, unaware, that it is hurting both her and your witness.
After she has her say, don't get mad or defensive. Hug her and tell her you love her. Thank her for being honest with you. Apologize for your behavior.
Then make changes where you can. (I doubt she is asking you to give up your salvation.) Maybe its that you are neglecting your chores. Start doing them. Do them without being asked. Do them with joy in your heart. It will take time but she will notice the change. That change becomes part of your witness.

Hey All,
Josh2010, you sound fairly young. I am guessing somewhere in your teens; am I right? That is usually the time parents and children have conflicts.
What makes your mom think that? Ask her directly. Listen to what she says. Don't get defensive and start making excuses. She is your mom and loves you. Maybe your actions do not match your words in her eyes. You may be doing something, unaware, that it is hurting both her and your witness.
After she has her say, don't get mad or defensive. Hug her and tell her you love her. Thank her for being honest with you. Apologize for your behavior.
Then make changes where you can. (I doubt she is asking you to give up your salvation.) Maybe its that you are neglecting your chores. Start doing them. Do them without being asked. Do them with joy in your heart. It will take time but she will notice the change. That change becomes part of your witness.
I have a good relationship with them but I think they are too fussy over small things. I spend most of my time with friends when there is an argument over something small. I always help both parents, usually more than my siblings. I think I have a more personal relationship with religion like some people have pointed out here.

Hey All,
I accidentally pressed the post button. (What a doufas!)
I was wrapping it up. But I wanted to add that chores is just an example. The basic method apply to most situations. Try it. I hope this helps. Keep walking everybody. May God bless,
Taz

Back