Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gehenna Is That Hell on Earth

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Actually Gehenna is not hell as hell is only the grave/pit where dead people are laid in when they die.
If you want to get technical, the word hell actually comes from Norse Mythology and looks much different than the Jewish thought of Gehenna and even much different than Greek Mythology in terms of Hades and his abode, Tartarus being the deepest part where the wicked reside.

When I did my studies on this long ago, I realized how translators borrowed familiar imagery from their own cultures that often missed the cultural meaning of the original word. Hell being one of them.

If you want to get technical, the word hell actually comes from Norse Mythology and looks much different than the Jewish thought of Gehenna and even much different than Greek Mythology in terms of Hades and his abode, Tartarus being the deepest part where the wicked reside.

When I did my studies on this long ago, I realized how translators borrowed familiar imagery from their own cultures that often missed the cultural meaning of the original word. Hell being one of them.
Understanding the word Hell can be a very confusing when it is mixed in mythology.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Know what 'tunnel-vision' means? That is the mistake many make with isolating a specific Scripture or phrase away from the rest of The Bible.

Because it is written per Acts 1 that Lord Jesus will return to 'this earth' how He ascended, and Zechariah 14 gives the direct evidence of that future return, back to the very spot where He ascended from (i.e., the Mount of Olives east of Jerusalem), then common sense reveals God is not going to literally destroy the whole earth, but only cleanse it like He did in the past. This is why Apostle Peter also described 'how' God is going to cleanse the surface of this earth again, per 2 Peter 3:10. So if that was meant to literally wipe out this whole planet, then the Zechariah 14 Scripture would be false.

Know what 'tunnel-vision' means? That is the mistake many make with isolating a specific Scripture or phrase away from the rest of The Bible.

Because it is written per Acts 1 that Lord Jesus will return to 'this earth' how He ascended, and Zechariah 14 gives the direct evidence of that future return, back to the very spot where He ascended from (i.e., the Mount of Olives east of Jerusalem), then common sense reveals God is not going to literally destroy the whole earth, but only cleanse it like He did in the past. This is why Apostle Peter also described 'how' God is going to cleanse the surface of this earth again, per 2 Peter 3:10. So if that was meant to literally wipe out this whole planet, then the Zechariah 14 Scripture would be false.
In your blatant remark about tunnel vision, where have I or the scripture I posted say anything else other than this present earth and heaven will pass away as there will be a new heaven and earth according to the vision given to John in Rev 21:1. Don't think there needs to be searching out other scriptures to understand this particular one.

In your blatant remark about tunnel vision, where have I or the scripture I posted say anything else other than this present earth and heaven will pass away as there will be a new heaven and earth according to the vision given to John in Rev 21:1. Don't think there needs to be searching out other scriptures to understand this particular one.
Like I showed, the 'facts' of Zechariah 14 about 'where' Lord Jesus will return to, on this earth, does not align with 'men's doctrine' that God is going to literally turn this earth into an asteroid belt. Cleanse its surface yes, just as He did in the past with waters of a flood, but this next time with fire, but not an absolute destruction to where nothing is left.

Ps 104:5
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth,
that it should not be removed for ever.
KJV

Furthermore, the idea that the 'new heavens, and a new earth' happens on the day of Jesus' future return is also... a doctrine from men and is not written anywhere in God's Word. It is the doctrine called Amillennialism. The new heavens and new earth time only happens after... Christ's future "thousand years" reign with His elect of Revelation 20.

Like I showed, the 'facts' of Zechariah 14 about 'where' Lord Jesus will return to, on this earth, does not align with 'men's doctrine' that God is going to literally turn this earth into an asteroid belt.
Who said anything about an asteroid belt and what does Zechariah 14 have to do with a new heaven and earth that happens after Jesus plants His feet on the Mt if Olives.

Who said anything about an asteroid belt and what does Zechariah 14 have to do with a new heaven and earth that happens after Jesus plants His feet on the Mt if Olives.
When Lord Jesus returns to this earth, and His feet touch down upon the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem, as written in Zechariah 14, that event is not in the new heavens and a new earth timing.

The new heavens and a new earth timing (which is God's future Eternity), does not start until hell, death, and the wicked go into the future "lake of fire" at the END of Christ's future "thousand years" reign of Revelation 20. The wicked won't see that future new heavens and a new earth.

When Lord Jesus returns to this earth, and His feet touch down upon the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem, as written in Zechariah 14, that event is not in the new heavens and a new earth timing.
I never said it was.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back