Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Good Friday

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

handy

"My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as Thou wilt."

"My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Thy will be done."

While 'celebration' seems out of order when we think of our Lord's sacrifice, we do celebrate this day as the day that our Lord took upon Himself the sins of the world.

Praise be to Christ Jesus our Lord on this day of rememberance.

Hey, I didn't mean to sound callous, I believe we should always preach Christ crucified as Scriprure says... every day too. :angel:

1 Cor 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

But we should never crucify Him on a daily basis, or even more than once:

Heb 7:27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

Thank you Lord for the death, burial and resurrection of your Son and our Savior & Master, Jesus.

In this solemn day, all Christians are called to ever more enter into the suffering prayer of the Son as he offers himself up to the Father on the path to Gologotha.

The Body and the Blood of the Lord are the mantle which we, a fallen and injured race, hold up and take refuge beneath as we plead for mercy. Yet, at the same time, is the Church not the Body of the Lord? And so the Church, the People of God and the sign of His Presence, continue in history the prayer of the Son to the Father, a prayer of suffering and hope.

We cry out:

Lord, have mercy on us.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

We offer You, Father, the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly Beloved Son for the forgiveness of sins

This day, to me, makes uniquely present once again the spirit of that day when salvation was won for us. The first Good Friday was the exorcism of the world, when the evil in mankind seeped out of him and took its Chosen Victim down to the grave. And He the Victim, took it down to the grave with him.

Today again, Christians around the world remind every one of this event and we pour out our prayers and grief, calling all to allow God's grace to excercise their sin from them and make them anew.

Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, make me holy.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me clean.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
Good Jesus, hear me.
Hide me within Thy deep wounds.
Defend me from all evil
And, in my hour of death,
Call me to Thyself so that I, along with of the Saints and angels may worship you in Eternal Life.

Amen.

vic C. said:
Where's Tim_from_Pa? we celebrate on Wed. :-D

Yes, you're darned tootin' we celebrate it then, and a wet and dismal day it was, too. My wife had a good medical report, however. Just a cyst when I was concerned it was something worse (you know what I mean). Well, that's why the Lord took our sicknesses and illnesses. Praise His name!

That's good to hear, Tim! So, are you guys celebrating Good "Friday" on Wednesday because that is by far the more logical historical day Christ was crucified?

handy said:
That's good to hear, Tim! So, are you guys celebrating Good "Friday" on Wednesday because that is by far the more logical historical day Christ was crucified?

Well, technically I celebrate Passover as a commemoration of the Lord's death. BTW, this year Passover occurs April 20, so it will be out of the shadow of Good Friday & Easter. I call it the "true Easter".

Looking back to Christ's time, whatever year He died had to be on a Wednesday to fulfill the mandate of Matthew 12:40. He had to fulfill the Hebrew feast days which were prophecies of things to come.

Namely, He had to die on Passover (Nisan 14), He had to be interred by sundown to start the next day for Unleavened Bread (Nisan 15). If you remember scripture, they made a hurry to inter Jesus because the sabbath was drawing on. This sabbath was Unleavened Bread. This was considered (by virtue of the feast timing) as "day 1". Day 3 would have been Nisan 17 and when that day was completely spent He arose "the third day" as the 4th day was beginning to dawn. In other words, that would be late Saturday by our time reckoning around sunset. Then Sunday is the feast of Firstfruits which is the first day of His being alive again.

So, I don't pick Wednesday, per se to celebrate anything. I rather go by the feasts, and sometimes they are longer, other times shorter between Passover and Firstfruits. All I'm saying is that Christ was not crucified on a Friday.

vic C. said:
Great news, Tim. :angel:

Dora and whoever else, check this out. It gets good on page two.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22192&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Ah yes, Vic. I remember that one well. That's where you originally took the Thursday crucifixion perspective then switched over to Wednesday. I mentioned about the calendar rules and the timing of the women preparing the spices. Ah, those memories! Either way, at least we did not "follow the crowd" just because of tradition.

There are so many threads on this topic, it must be amazing that you and the other mod's can keep track of them all. This seems to come up every year.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back