Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Goodbye Food Pyramid

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

tim-from-pa

The government thought that the controversial food pyramid was too confusing, so now they draw a colorful plate and cup instead like this article shows:

Goodbye food pyramid, hello 'My Plate' - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

When I look at it, it reminds me of a kid's drawing and all that it does is show the 5 basic food groups that I knew about all along and always based my food shopping on that.

But I guess the latch-key kid generation and younger don't even know the basic food groups any longer given their hippy parents were out trying to find themselves and enhance their careers while the kids stayed at home and feasted on candy, cookies, pizza and other such junk. And if you notice, these younger ones seem to be on more meds such as those for ADD and ADHD than an aging guy like me is on---- wait, I'm not on any! :lol I'll take a TUMS or Advil for an occasional headache or something like that once in awhile.

Replace grain and fruit with protein and replace dairy with water, then we will talk about the government finally placing up a proper food scheme (because the last two were equally atrocious!). Here it is for you:

Fruits
. The fact is most people wouldn't be eating fruits if we didn't have trucks, airplanes, and refrigerators. Eating fruits as a staple of a meal is a very new thing (like literally decades). Before the 60s or 70s you ate fruit int he summer and only the fruits that grew around you. There is a reason for that too. You need carbs, sure, but you don't need them on a daily basis and you surely don't need all that fructose on a daily basis! So in the summer (when fruits grow naturally) you eat them and then you have carbs for the rest of the year.

Sidenote on the fruit. I find it hilarious that the government is mounting a full-scale war on fructose, but is saying people need to eat 1/4 of their meal in fruit. Fruit is essentially fructose with some vitamins and a little fiber for spice! :lol

Grain. Grains are not your friend, no matter what people say. We are not meant to eat them, we are meant to eat greens and meats and that's it. Everything our body needs in life comes from two sources, greens (vegetables) and meats. Grains are not needed and really only damage you. They provide a quick carb fix and leave you tired and clouded two hours later. Splurge once in a while if you must, but leave grains aside on your normal day to day eating.

Dairy. Maybe I am biased because I am allergic to dairy (not lactose, mind you, dairy in general). However, dairy is meant for baby cows/goats and not for adult humans! There is a reason human babies stop breastfeeding, it's because our bodies don't need that super-drink after a while. Around one or two our bodies become adapted to a solely solid food diet. This means that our bodies can now extract every thing it needs for living from solid foods and no longer needs the milk. Besides this, dairy is an excuse for drinking water.

Water is the only drink we need to survive. Water is SO important that I am really surprised the government didn't put it on there. I mean, I realize the government is full of idiots with only half a brain, but seriously! Now you may say "but I'm craving a milk/soda/juice", ok good for you, doesn't mean it's natural. Most of the time our bodies crave stuff that isn't natural at all (chocolate/candy)! If you don't believe me, I challenge you to drink water (and water ONLY) for an entire month. Drink enough so that your pee is never colored (except when you wake up or take vitamins). After a month's time I guarantee you will not want that milk/soda/juice anymore and when you are thirsty you will reach for the bottle of water rather than the Dr. Pepper.

I am truly surprised at how small a portion they devoted to protein. Do they realize that an adult human needs a MINIMUM of 1g of protein for ever pound of body weight just to maintain muscle mass? Do they also realize that to metabolize enough protein for our bodies to properly maintain our muscle mass that we also need 1.5 times more fat than protein in our diet? And with this as a bare minimum requirement for our bodies it means there is no way we can eat that many carbs, unless we drastically increase our Caloric intake so that it keeps fats at less than 20% of our daily intake (because with anything more than 20% our bodies will convert to burning fat and the carbs will be stored away, and anyone who isn't brainwashed by the pop culture diet fads knows that when carbs are "stored away" it translates into increasing the tire around your gut!)

I was thinking the same thing about fruit and grain. I thought that maybe they should move the border up a little so that fruit and grain was squeezed in at the top and protein and vegetables were filling the bottom of the plate. :lol

Replace grain and fruit with protein and replace dairy with water, then we will talk about the government finally placing up a proper food scheme (because the last two were equally atrocious!). Here it is for you:

Fruits
. The fact is most people wouldn't be eating fruits if we didn't have trucks, airplanes, and refrigerators. Eating fruits as a staple of a meal is a very new thing (like literally decades). Before the 60s or 70s you ate fruit int he summer and only the fruits that grew around you. There is a reason for that too. You need carbs, sure, but you don't need them on a daily basis and you surely don't need all that fructose on a daily basis! So in the summer (when fruits grow naturally) you eat them and then you have carbs for the rest of the year.

Sidenote on the fruit. I find it hilarious that the government is mounting a full-scale war on fructose, but is saying people need to eat 1/4 of their meal in fruit. Fruit is essentially fructose with some vitamins and a little fiber for spice! :lol

Grain. Grains are not your friend, no matter what people say. We are not meant to eat them, we are meant to eat greens and meats and that's it. Everything our body needs in life comes from two sources, greens (vegetables) and meats. Grains are not needed and really only damage you. They provide a quick carb fix and leave you tired and clouded two hours later. Splurge once in a while if you must, but leave grains aside on your normal day to day eating.

Dairy. Maybe I am biased because I am allergic to dairy (not lactose, mind you, dairy in general). However, dairy is meant for baby cows/goats and not for adult humans! There is a reason human babies stop breastfeeding, it's because our bodies don't need that super-drink after a while. Around one or two our bodies become adapted to a solely solid food diet. This means that our bodies can now extract every thing it needs for living from solid foods and no longer needs the milk. Besides this, dairy is an excuse for drinking water.

Water is the only drink we need to survive. Water is SO important that I am really surprised the government didn't put it on there. I mean, I realize the government is full of idiots with only half a brain, but seriously! Now you may say "but I'm craving a milk/soda/juice", ok good for you, doesn't mean it's natural. Most of the time our bodies crave stuff that isn't natural at all (chocolate/candy)! If you don't believe me, I challenge you to drink water (and water ONLY) for an entire month. Drink enough so that your pee is never colored (except when you wake up or take vitamins). After a month's time I guarantee you will not want that milk/soda/juice anymore and when you are thirsty you will reach for the bottle of water rather than the Dr. Pepper.

I am truly surprised at how small a portion they devoted to protein. Do they realize that an adult human needs a MINIMUM of 1g of protein for ever pound of body weight just to maintain muscle mass? Do they also realize that to metabolize enough protein for our bodies to properly maintain our muscle mass that we also need 1.5 times more fat than protein in our diet? And with this as a bare minimum requirement for our bodies it means there is no way we can eat that many carbs, unless we drastically increase our Caloric intake so that it keeps fats at less than 20% of our daily intake (because with anything more than 20% our bodies will convert to burning fat and the carbs will be stored away, and anyone who isn't brainwashed by the pop culture diet fads knows that when carbs are "stored away" it translates into increasing the tire around your gut!)

Thanks so much for the input/info! I have a couple of questions for you, though.

As far as water is concerned, when I try to drink solely water it starts to make me feel sick, (ie, I want to throw it back up because it's all clear liquid with little additional sustenance). I've drunk water before with chlorophyll in it (delicious btw, very spearminty) and I was able to drink half my bodyweight in ounces of water (or more) daily because of it. Just wanted to know your opinion on that sort of thing. Also your opinion on these low cal water mix ins--crystal light lemonade and stuff.

You also said that we need to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight (daily?) to maintain our muscle mass... is it any less than that for women, or is it the same for both genders?

For water, those flavor packs are fine. I'd suggest trying your local natural food store, as they may have ones without the food dye in them, that's better than the ones with it. I personally prefer flavored seltzer water and I buy them by the liter. I probably drink a liter of that every day.

I know what you mean about too much water making you feel sick. It takes time, but that will go away. Just the same as when you start drinking more water you will need to go to the bathroom more often, however give it a month and your bladder will increase in size and you will not have to go as often.

The protein is pretty much across the board. You could deal with a bit less. If you are not routinely exercising, I'd suggest finding out what your lean mass is (that means: total weight - fat) and eat that many grams of protein a day. That makes it a lot more practical, because I realize it can be really hard to eat a lot of protein (I eat 250g per day, and I attempt to restrict myself to 2500 kcal, so it's a very hard balancing act :biggrin)

Just wondering, what's so bad about carbs if your body can turn them into protein?

The body don't turn carbs into protein. It's the other way around. But carbs can be turned into fat. And having immediate energy all the time makes the body lazy so that it gets it's energy there and then you come crashing down when it's burned up. Then you need more crabs and more and it's never ending. If you eat fats, it forces the body to use that instead (same with proteins).

The body don't turn carbs into protein. It's the other way around. But carbs can be turned into fat. And having immediate energy all the time makes the body lazy so that it gets it's energy there and then you come crashing down when it's burned up. Then you need more crabs and more and it's never ending. If you eat fats, it forces the body to use that instead (same with proteins).
Tim said all that needs to be said on that.

Some people do need more carbohydrates, but unless you are an Olympic runner/swimmer/ect. than you don't need a carbohydrate centered diet.

Back