Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Grace to you from him who was, is and is to come.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hello, brethren beloved. After poor experiences on other forums, I hope one may be welcome here. May we all magnify the only name by which men are saved (which is apt considering its meaning, "saviour" or "deliverer"), Jesus Christ the righteous.

Is this a form where monergism, the doctrine of the sovran, singular work of instant Spirit of truth regernation codified in the TULIP (total depravity, unconditional election, limited atonement or particular redemption, irresistable grace as well as the preservation and perserverance of the saints) is welcome? Commonly, this is called "Calvinism", even though Calvin introduced his own flavoring to what long predated him in the form of the long chain of Baptists. This is in total, stark opposition to synergy, the doctrine of the culmination of multiples' works to more or less hopefully generate salvation, commonly and most prevaling in the form of Arminianism.
Are realized millenarians (amilliennials, though that is an obtuse, clunky term) welcome?

Peace to you all.

Welcome dear Brother Particular Baptist in the blessed name of Jesus. As to Calvinism we've had much discussion as to its validity with pro and con interpretations. E.g., I believe in OSAS but not his doctrine of predestination. Does that separate us from being brethren? Much of your language is somewhat foreign to me and all I can reply is that I will attempt to provide godly discourse to what you bring forth.
Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

Welcome dear Brother Particular Baptist in the blessed name of Jesus. As to Calvinism we've had much discussion as to its validity with pro and con interpretations. E.g., I believe in OSAS but not his doctrine of predestination. Does that separate us from being brethren? Much of your language is somewhat foreign to me and all I can reply is that I will attempt to provide godly discourse to what you bring forth.
Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

I follow Jesus Christ, author and finisher of the faith once delivered unto the saints, the Head, Creator and fullness of the Godhead bodily, by whom all things consist, the Potentate, the Mediator, the Master or Lord, not John Calvin (1509-64). Thus, we rather the term as Old School Baptists "monergists", since we predate the French theologian and academic by well over a millenary. It is said, Mt. 1.21, Jn. 1.29 and Acts 4.10-2,
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. …be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

As long as a man affirms Christ come in the flesh as Emmanuel, he is regenerate. God bless you also, Eguene; however well or poor his hermeneutics (Bible interpretation) are and exegesis of soteriology (explanation of salvation doctrine) might be, God shall save a many as he shall call (Acts 2.38-40). Thank God he mercifully, graciously saved a foolish knave like me.

Hi PB
You'll find a bit of everything here.
We don't all agree on every little crossed T.
But we respect each other and have the love of Christ for each other.
I believe you'll enjoy your stay here.

Blessings
Wondering

Welcome.
Where adherents to TULIP are welcome here as are Baptists (I being one) your post presupposes that Baptists are indeed Calvinists. And as a Baptist I know better. Herschel Hobbs famous lines delineate that the moment you can put a label on a Baptist he ceases to be one. Traditional Baptists by definition are undefinable.

That doesn't mean that there aren't many flavors of Baptists. Including Seventh day Baptist.
Maybe you could clarify what flavor of Baptist you are other than Reformed Baptist.

Welcome to CFnet. I think you'll find that even though most people here probably don't share your views, most of us tend to be accepting and welcoming of various interpretations of Scripture.

Welcome.
Where adherents to TULIP are welcome here as are Baptists (I being one) your post presupposes that Baptists are indeed Calvinists. And as a Baptist I know better. Herschel Hobbs famous lines delineate that the moment you can put a label on a Baptist he ceases to be one. Traditional Baptists by definition are undefinable.

That doesn't mean that there aren't many flavors of Baptists. Including Seventh day Baptist.
Maybe you could clarify what flavor of Baptist you are other than Reformed Baptist.

It is fairly evident you have not studied the Old School New School divide of the 1830s, or much about the finer points as outlined between a believer in the sole work (monergism) and Calvinism, which generally includes such inane heresies such as absolute and double predestination, including a reprobation where some are elected only for damnation rather than those merely unchosen for salvation (Cain, Esau, Abimelech in addition to Judas are chief examples). Zecharias 7.9-10
Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother: and oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.

If you begin at the Vaudois or Waldensians' confession made AD 1127, you shall find synergists were a distinct minority for most of Christian history; apart from the 1678-9 Orthodox Confession, there were no Arminian creeds until after the Split; there is the Free Will Baptist creed from 1894. After the Split, libertarian doctrine crept in. If I am no Baptist by your standard, rather than by the Bible, I shall be judged by it, not your Baptist court of opinion, as will William Tyndale father of the English Bible, John Huss and John Wycliffe, all ardent monergists living two to four hundred years before Luther's (who borrowed heavily from the Baptists) Wittenburg protest less the Protestant retention of Romanist heresies. Please do not try to paint me as some Baptist oddity like those (edited) Sabbatarians before you study your own history. John Bunyan, Benjamin Keach or his successor John Gill are some of the more famous Old School Baptists. Might you consider the work Fifty Years Among the Baptists or the histories of Griffin and Hassell? See oldschoolhymnalcompany.com and Overseer Keith Ellis' primitivebaptist.net.

Interestingly, though the Split concerned unscriptural practices or traditions of men outlined in the 1832 Black Rock Address, the soterological doctrine between Missionary Baptists and Old School or Particular Baptists was the same (and still is). That changed when just shy a century later the fundamentalist movement came in the early Jazz Age.
Consider the founding document of what became the Southern Baptist Convention, the 1833 New Hampshire Confession, against Gill's 1729 Goatyard Confession. Beleive what you like; but history is what it is.

You will find a smattering of differences of opinion which gives for lively debates at times.

Lively discussions indeed. Sorry, my debating gloves while still able to do intellectual battle are retired. They never helped much in bringing a man to the knowledge of the payment of the debt of his sins found in Jesus Christ the righteous, and rarely edify other Christians in what usually becomes a vain intellectual pursuit The Preacher condemned in time immortal.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a quick hello and welcome, sorry about that. From what you say, you're much more advanced in "Old School" than I am. A long time ago, I read something by John Calvin that struck a note with me. I purchased the book, "Institutes of the Christian Religion" and found a theological base & home. I'm sorry to say that I've done little research outside of Calvin's theology. I had a stroke in 1995, and now I can't remember much of what I studied, so I keep the Institutes handy to refresh my ageing brain.

I am interested in learning more of the Old School - New School.

double predestination, including a reprobation where some are elected only for damnation rather than those merely unchosen for salvation (Cain, Esau, Abimelech in addition to Judas are chief examples). Zecharias 7.9-10 .

Does it really matter either way? The bottom line seems to be the same. No reason to divide over such a matter.

And yes, such subjects do get examined here in intimate detail. So, welcome to the foray of casual peer online reviews of positions. May you stay with a continuing polish rather than leave in a huff. :nod

Does it really matter either way? The bottom line seems to be the same. No reason to divide over such a matter.

And yes, such subjects do get examined here in intimate detail. So, welcome to the foray of casual peer online reviews of positions. May you stay with a continuing polish rather than leave in a huff. :nod

I'm accustomed to scrutiny and welcome constructive criticism. Proverbs 27.17 "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Paul remarks in Philemon, "Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord", which means he asked Philemon fo refresh the deepest seat of emotions within him. Though, I do not welcome being lumped into categories, though ignorance is forgiveable indeed.

To answer your question, yes, for God is no author of sin, neither a sadist. However, as stated, my debating gloves are retired. I'll happily discuss that in private messaging.
That was a quick hello and welcome, sorry about that. From what you say, you're much more advanced in "Old School" than I am. A long time ago, I read something by John Calvin that struck a note with me. I purchased the book, "Institutes of the Christian Religion" and found a theological base & home. I'm sorry to say that I've done little research outside of Calvin's theology. I had a stroke in 1995, and now I can't remember much of what I studied, so I keep the Institutes handy to refresh my ageing brain.

I am interested in learning more of the Old School - New School.

Chopper, kindly message me and we may speak there; however, Particular Baptists (while some are) usually are no Calvinists but monergists; the difference lies in the Limited Atonement and Perserverance of the Saints in the TULIP acronym; John Calvin got his theology from Augustine, whereas our lineage predates the Papist doctor Augustine; Rome defected in around the second to fourth centuries AD from us. I'm quite understanding of that as a family member suffered what medically was deemed a stroke for the insurance payoff; batteries of experts the globe around did not know what of it. It took God's sovranty to take him out of that. Godspeed.

Last edited:
I'm accustomed to scrutiny and welcome constructive criticism. Proverbs 27.17 "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Paul remarks in Philemon, "Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord", which means he asked Philemon fo refresh the deepest seat of emotions within him. Though, I do not welcome being lumped into categories, though ignorance is forgiveable indeed.

To answer your question, yes, for God is no author of sin, neither a sadist. However, as stated, my debating gloves are retired. I'll happily discuss that in private messaging.

Just so you know, in advance, I do not make a practice of condemning any believer, which has perhaps contributed to my longevity here. And I extend that hope to everyone that posts here, seeing our Common Denominator. So peace, in advance.

Just so you know, in advance, I do not make a practice of condemning any believer, which has perhaps contributed to my longevity here. And I extend that hope to everyone that posts here, seeing our Common Denominator. So peace, in advance.

It is only good and proper to condemn heresy. We cannot condemned what is not by God according to John 3.18 or Romans 8.1-5.

Back