Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hell and the Lake of Fire

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

handy

Are the hell that Jesus speaks of and the Lake of Fire mentioned in Revelations 20 the same thing?

They are two different places according to Revelation.
In Chapter 20 1-3. Where an angel came down and he laid hold of satan and he bound him and threw him into the abyss, and the angel sealed it for a thousand years. ( note different Bibles use different words to
discribe the word abyss but Hell is what they are refering to.)
In verse 10 after the 1000 years is over the Devil will be released for a short while. Then the devil the false prophet and the beast will end up in the lake of fire where they will remain forever.

During the 1000 years that satan is bound in hell. Will be the 1000 years when Jesus along with all the Christians will reign on earth.

If I am understanding you, you are saying that the hell that Jesus speaks of in numerous passages is the same as the abyss, but different than the Lake of Fire?

Is hell then temporary, and the Lake of Fire eternal?

Yes there is right now Demons and people in hell, until the White Throne Judgement. This is where anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life, was thrown into the lake of fire. (Taken from Revelation 20: 15.)
For a complete understanding read Revelation 20 : 10-15. I hope this helps.

Thank you, yes this was very helpful.

I had struggled for some time trying to reconcile certain passages that seemed to teach hell as both eternal and temporal. I came to the conclusion that hell is rather a two-step process, both a temporal 'holding' between present and the Great White Judgement, as well as the eternal "Lake of Fire" after the Judgement, but wanted some feedback as to whether I've finally got it right. :wink:

Back