Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hello! An introduction...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Augustine

Hi everyone, I am new here and it's a pleasure to meet you all.

I joined this forum because I felt a deep need to connect with other Christians. I'm in my early 30's and just moved to a new city. It's been incredibly difficult to find friends and tap into community.

Here are some points on my background with a general focus on my religious life:
  • I was born in Australia into family of Asian heritage. I definitely went through that identity-crisis that so many migrant children face.
    • My family attended an evangelical / Pentecostal church. My parents weren't super on-fire Christians but we were part of the community. We never discussed religion at home. Sunday school provided most of my Christian education.
  • I have always struggled with faith. I fell away from in my 20s because it just didn't feel real to me. Despite growing up in Pentecostal circles, I never had an intense spiritual experience like speaking on tongues, or tangibly 'felt' the love of God.

• I increasingly view Pentecostal churches as shallow, shout-y motivational speaking with bad music. I became an atheist/agnostic for a few years in my 20s.

• To cut a long story short, I've now been a Roman Catholic for a few years. It seemed to make more sense to me intellectually and historically.
    • I appreciate the calm and ordered structure of the services (the Mass), not to mention the smells and the bells. I interpreted the grandeur of the Church and solemnity of the Mass as the presence of God. I can't help but feel some pride at being Catholic because of its illustrious history and grand traditions.
  • I still feel disconnected from God. My Christianity has always been so head-strong. I don't really see or hear God with certainty in my life. My prayers are never answered and so many questions remain. I'm now beginning to question Catholicism and Christianity (all over again).

• I have serious mental health struggles: anxiety, clinical depression, loneliness and alcohol abuse. A major reason for this is my struggles an unhappy childhood and my sexuality: I am same-sex attracted / gay.
    • I have always supported the Church's and Bible's teaching on marriage. Yet, I deal with crippling loneliness because I haven't really told anyone for fear of shame and rejection. As I get older and people my age start getting married and having children, the fear of being alone forever gets me down more and more.
Anyway, it's nice to meet you all. I'd love to connect with anyone who may have had similar experiences to me.

I look forward to reading and making posts.

Last edited:
Not to hijack your introduction but I’m a celibate homosexual in my late 30s burned by Pentecostals too. Long fascinated by Catholicism but I can’t agree with a lot of it so conversion is no go. I live in Bible Belt USA which…is what it is…

Again welcome 🙏

Not to hijack your introduction but I’m a celibate homosexual in my late 30s burned by Pentecostals too. Long fascinated by Catholicism but I can’t agree with a lot of it so conversion is no go. I live in Bible Belt USA which…is what it is…

Again welcome 🙏
Not a problem - hijack away!

I have never met another celibate Christian homosexual in real life, so I'd be interested in your thoughts/experiences.

I sense some disgruntlement at your being in the Bible Belt! I've never been to America (everything I know is based off movies/TV)...but the place sounds fascinating!

I dunno 🤷‍♂️

I’m not too good for the Bible Belt…it’s the way poverty and related problems go on and on and on…

I think 🤔 more strongly reinforced by the culture than in many other parts of the country. I could be mistaken.

Hi everyone, I am new here and it's a pleasure to meet you all.

I joined this forum because I felt a deep need to connect with other Christians. I'm in my early 30's and just moved to a new city. It's been incredibly difficult to find friends and tap into community.

Here are some points on my background with a general focus on my religious life:
  • I was born in Australia into family of Asian heritage. I definitely went through that identity-crisis that so many migrant children face.
    • My family attended an evangelical / Pentecostal church. My parents weren't super on-fire Christians but we were part of the community. We never discussed religion at home. Sunday school provided most of my Christian education.
  • I have always struggled with faith. I fell away from in my 20s because it just didn't feel real to me. Despite growing up in Pentecostal circles, I never had an intense spiritual experience like speaking on tongues, or tangibly 'felt' the love of God.

• I increasingly view Pentecostal churches as shallow, shout-y motivational speaking with bad music. I became an atheist/agnostic for a few years in my 20s.

• To cut a long story short, I've now been a Roman Catholic for a few years. It seemed to make more sense to me intellectually and historically.
    • I appreciate the calm and ordered structure of the services (the Mass), not to mention the smells and the bells. I interpreted the grandeur of the Church and solemnity of the Mass as the presence of God. I can't help but feel some pride at being Catholic because of its illustrious history and grand traditions.
  • I still feel disconnected from God. My Christianity has always been so head-strong. I don't really see or hear God with certainty in my life. My prayers are never answered and so many questions remain. I'm now beginning to question Catholicism and Christianity (all over again).

• I have serious mental health struggles: anxiety, clinical depression, loneliness and alcohol abuse. A major reason for this is my struggles an unhappy childhood and my sexuality: I am same-sex attracted / gay.
    • I have always supported the Church's and Bible's teaching on marriage. Yet, I deal with crippling loneliness because I haven't really told anyone for fear of shame and rejection. As I get older and people my age start getting married and having children, the fear of being alone forever gets me down more and more.
Anyway, it's nice to meet you all. I'd love to connect with anyone who may have had similar experiences to me.

I look forward to reading and making posts.
Hello, Augustine , and welcome to the forum. :)

Hi Augustine and welcome to CF :wave2

Many of us struggle with certain things, question certain things and sometimes not finding the answers that we really need to hear, but only want to hear. Our relationship with Jesus is not about which church is better than another one as the true Church is the body of Christ through the Spiritual rebirth and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit with Christ being the head of the body. The best thing is to have fellowship with other Christians as we share the scriptures with each other, but to also know sometimes we disagree with other's theologies, but yet to discuss the differences in what and how we believe. There is a Q&A forum where you can ask questions and we will try our best to answer them.

Take your time, look around and hope you enjoy CF, God bless.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back