Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hindu and Buddhism

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm including both of them here because I discovered Buddha is one of the many Hindu deities. Both religions seem to promote peace and love between you and your fellow man. Both believe in karma, as do Christians (you reap what you sow). I just find it all so interesting :study

essentials said:
I'm including both of them here because I discovered Buddha is one of the many Hindu deities. Both religions seem to promote peace and love between you and your fellow man. Both believe in karma, as do Christians (you reap what you sow). I just find it all so interesting :study

Buddha is not considered a 'god' unless their is some sect of Hinduism that says this that I'm unaware of. However there are some that regard Buddha as the 9th incarnation of Vishnu following Ram and Krishna. There are some who believe Krishna was the incarnation of Christ as well as Jesus being the incarnation of Christ as well.

Buddhism does not recognize gods and see him only as the incarnation of a realized being.

Just like every religion out there, there are many different divisions which include those that feel the need to worship the one who 'recognized' rather than walk the 'path' themselves.

One thing to remember when looking at Hinduism is that it has become a term to encompass all of the 'religions' of India so it has many different sects included in it. It is one of, if not the oldest religion out there. It became monotheistic in the 5th or 6th century BC. It's Supreme Deity Brahman is recognized as possessing personality as Vishnu, Brahma, Shiva or Shakti. When God is recognized as a personal being, rather than an infinite principle, God is called Ishvara(the Lord), Bhagavan (The Auspicious One), or Parameshwara (The Supreme Lord).

I have only read the Bhagavad Gita a little and some of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. I am interested in learning more of the Hindu's religion but haven't gotten further yet.

cheers

essentials said:
that is poor understand of karma, we christians dont believe in the return as higher or lower beings. that simply means to us, if you do evil get evil in return, and do good get good in return. nothing more.

jasoncran-Is that not karma? I wasn't talking about karma in the sense that if you do good, you will be reincarnated into a higher being. I meant if you do good in this life, good will happen to you in this life, and vice versa. To me, that is karma...

essentials said:
jasoncran-Is that not karma? I wasn't talking about karma in the sense that if you do good, you will be reincarnated into a higher being. I meant if you do good in this life, good will happen to you in this life, and vice versa. To me, that is karma...
no you have the in correct definition of karma, karma is the former , and the later plays into that.

but if you want to be true to the christian view, we had that first, for if you read the bible and you wil find that Judged by that standard, a wicked king in joshua would cut the big toe off of his enemies and make them his slaves, joshua did that to him before he slew him.

there are others that in the bible.

a babylon is destroyed for attacking jerusalem eventually.

essentials said:

The Hindus believe in peace but only to an extent.

The religion has a caste system, which is tied in very heavily with its karma. Karma is good deeds in another life that leads to a better, and more prosperous life in the next. Each caste is categorized by various things, and the karma is one of the determining factors. There is one group that is considered to not be in the caste system, which is called the Harijan (also Untouchables or Dalits). These people are seen as basically sub-human. This is determined by social status or occupation, such as being a fisherman, eating meat, or handling dead corpses. A person is born into this and cannot remove themselves from it. The Harijan are considered very dirty spiritually, hence the term "untouchable." However, they have historically been relentlessly tortured. While India has made laws against discrimmination based on social classes in more recent times, many Untouchables still face danger. They are still at risk of being raped, paraded naked in the streets, or assaulted. Often law enforcement will not care simply beacuse of their social status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit

http://www.truthandgrace.com/Hinducaste.htm

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0306/feature1/

http://www.csuchico.edu/~cheinz/syllabi ... g98/12.htm

http://www.csuchico.edu/~cheinz/syllabi ... g98/13.htm

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_caste.asp (See "Chandalas")

"Karma" is the Sanskrit word for "action". It is simply the idea that actions have consequences. What those consequences may be is further informed by your religion.

The Buddha is regarded as an avatar of the god Vishnu. Some take this to mean he is a god on his own. Others believe this means he was simply a man of great importance.

The Buddha is a possibly god within Hinduism, not within Buddhism. Still, they are similar enough to be discussed within the same thread.

I have a friend that is Hindu, it's fascinating! The gods are the coolest looking little dudes ever! And the stories behind them are really interesting.

I heard of a person ask a Buddhist concerning reincarnation "what happens if I kill a chicken, what will I come back as?" The reply was a chicken. "What if I kill a goat?" The reply was you will come back as a goat. He then asked "who do I have to kill to come back as a rich man?" "OHH no" was the reply "it doesn't work like that". Classic.

Back