Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How do the names we give our children affect the rest of their lives?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

How do the names we give to our children affect the rest of their lives?
++
Some of us have names whose meanings we do not know. Some sound very pleasant - but have some terrible meanings. Some others sound quite frightening - yet having very good meanings. Most are not bothered about the meanings of names. They are not superstitious.
))))
(Bixley Dunton, Chin Chon. Okeudo Mmaju, Agbogho Onukwube, etc) lol
--
Truly speaking, certain names can affect the lives of some people. Some names are demonic.
--
Leftyatbest must have had a million fight cases!:chin
--
My little nephew has a middle name, 'Thomas' (it means, 'twin'). It is not a bad name. I guess you know what I'm going to say next:)
You remember Thomas of the bible? :lol

We are trying to change that name...and this would affect his birth cirtificate. We would reflect the changes soon. The reason for this is that we do not want this kid to fight in school. His fellow children would not call him Thomas because his name says so - they'd mock at him and compare him to Thomas of the bible. This kid would try to quarrel back with them.

Take a look:

:sad'No, 1+1 = 2'
:)'Shut up! 1+1 = 11, you insufferable bore! Are you not rightly called Thomas?'
:bicker
:sad 'Stop it'
:) You are!
:bicker :fight
--

:biglol You can see that play - somthing about the future.
--
kennedy means big head! Wow. If you call a kid 'Kennedy the big head...', you are in order - both are the same! Yes: they are. However 'big head' would fight you!!

--
Take a look:
Mary: Star of the sea
Jezebel: Not exhalted, chaste etc
Martha: Mistress of the house, lady
Thomas: twin
Linda: beautiful
Cecilia: blind
Gladys: lame
Kennedy: ugly head:lol
We all know what Jezebel did. She was a terrible woman (as recorded in the bible). Would you call your daughter Jezebel?

--
Any replies?

Dad was in Bible School when i was born Rebecca. Never liked my name.....I hate to see named Jr who are nothing like their dad.....

Odd that "Thomas" would be considered a name that would cause a lot of grief for a kid in your country. My son is named Thomas and nobody thinks anything of it. Just don't call him "Tommy"...he really hates to be called "Tommy" but generally just tells folks not to call him that. He goes either by Thomas or Tom...but nobody teases him because of his name. Here in the states it's considered a pretty normal name.

Odd that "Thomas" would be considered a name that would cause a lot of grief for a kid in your country. My son is named Thomas and nobody thinks anything of it. Just don't call him "Tommy"...he really hates to be called "Tommy" but generally just tells folks not to call him that. He goes either by Thomas or Tom...but nobody teases him because of his name. Here in the states it's considered a pretty normal name.

:lol
'Thomas' sounds great. It reminds me of the biblical character...
We have very troublesome kids in our neighborhood who would alway find a fault in any name. My mom quarrelled all the time because she was called lefty.
--
our kids would not only call your son 'Thomas the doubting mind', they'd call him Tom and Jerry. --
Perhaps he quarrells in school but never tell you:chin
Hope he doesn't frown at me.

Our great grand fathers and their generation gave names based on friendly and unfriendly circumstances.
-
Mara means bitter:
Ruth 1:20 NKJV
But she said to them, “Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me.

:lol
'Thomas' sounds great. It reminds me of the biblical character...
We have very troublesome kids in our neighborhood who would alway find a fault in any name. My mom quarrelled all the time because she was called lefty.
--
our kids would not only call your son 'Thomas the doubting mind', they'd call him Tom and Jerry. --
Perhaps he quarrells in school but never tell you:chin
Hope he doesn't frown at me.

I think he'd be pretty cool with "Tom and Jerry" because they are his all time favorite characters. Plus, it would be sort of fitting as he is Tom and for years my nickname was Jerry Mouse.

I hear about his quarrels...his name isn't the cause of them though. He doesn't get into too many quarrels, but that could be that he is the tallest kid in his class and also outweighs most of his classmates by about 40 lbs or more. He's not fat or anything...but at 5'6 and 143 lbs, he's just very big for an 11 year old. He started wrestling today and they paired him with the 8th graders. He enjoyed it very much.

Getting back to names, I had problems with mine. I was named after my great-grandmother and "Dora" isn't a "cool" name. It was amazing when I was growing up because "Lora" was very, very cool but "Dora" wasn't. Lot's of girls were named "Lora" and some girls who weren't named "Lora" asked people to call them "Lora" anyway. But, nobody, and I mean nobody else was named "Dora". I was in my 20's before I met another Dora.

Add to that, here in America in the '70's there was a very popular game show called "The Match Game". It was one of these games where celebrities were asked questions and the contestants had to match their answers. One of the questions started out: "Dumb Dora was sooooo dumb..." and as soon as Gene Rayburn said that the whole audience and celebrities and contestants would yell out, "HOW DUMB WAS SHE!?!" I heard that one so many times...:bigfrown

What I really don't get is the Jnr and Snr thing :confused. Why?

What I find interesting is I find that a lot of people dislike their middle names. Hmmm. :chin

Then we have celebrity children, who's names are absurd - Cinamen, Apple, Moon-Unit, Dwiesel. :wall

What I really don't get is the Jnr and Snr thing :confused. Why?

What I find interesting is I find that a lot of people dislike their middle names. Hmmm. :chin

Then we have celebrity children, who's names are absurd - Cinamen, Apple, Moon-Unit, Dwiesel. :wall

The snr and jr don't make sense to me. We usually name the yonger child jr and the elder one snr. If something happens along the way and the mother bears another child would we call him super jr?
--
Middle names! Sorry...they all suck. They are high resounding names. Bixley Dunton (Thomas Wolfe)

My nick name is Spanky and that is what all relatives still call me including mom and dad, and all the friends that I grew up with still call me that. But when I meet new people I introduce myself as Lewis. Years ago the Spanky And Our Gang comments were worn out. But I still don't mine being called that even from people on this board Jason uses it sometimes.

How do the names we give to our children affect the rest of their lives?
++
Some of us have names whose meanings we do not know. Some sound very pleasant - but have some terrible meanings. Some others sound quite frightening - yet having very good meanings. Most are not bothered about the meanings of names. They are not superstitious.
))))
(Bixley Dunton, Chin Chon. Okeudo Mmaju, Agbogho Onukwube, etc) lol
--
Truly speaking, certain names can affect the lives of some people. Some names are demonic.
--
Leftyatbest must have had a million fight cases!:chin
--
My little nephew has a middle name, 'Thomas' (it means, 'twin'). It is not a bad name. I guess you know what I'm going to say next:)
You remember Thomas of the bible? :lol

We are trying to change that name...and this would affect his birth cirtificate. We would reflect the changes soon. The reason for this is that we do not want this kid to fight in school. His fellow children would not call him Thomas because his name says so - they'd mock at him and compare him to Thomas of the bible. This kid would try to quarrel back with them.

Take a look:

:sad'No, 1+1 = 2'
:)'Shut up! 1+1 = 11, you insufferable bore! Are you not rightly called Thomas?'
:bicker
:sad 'Stop it'
:) You are!
:bicker :fight
--

:biglol You can see that play - somthing about the future.
--
kennedy means big head! Wow. If you call a kid 'Kennedy the big head...', you are in order - both are the same! Yes: they are. However 'big head' would fight you!!

--
Take a look:
Mary: Star of the sea
Jezebel: Not exhalted, chaste etc
Martha: Mistress of the house, lady
Thomas: twin
Linda: beautiful
Cecilia: blind
Gladys: lame
Kennedy: ugly head:lol
We all know what Jezebel did. She was a terrible woman (as recorded in the bible). Would you call your daughter Jezebel?

--
Any replies?

esther: star
haddashah: myrtle in english

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back