Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How Has the Recession Impacted You?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'd like to address that also, as I hesitated to post originally.

While the recession hasn't impacted me financially much at this time, it has impacted my planning and thinking.

If someone becomes upset at posting that is positive, such as mine, it really isn't about the positive posts as it is about the one being upset. It could be that they harbor guilt or shame for being in the position they are in. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that that is an accurate assessment of their situation... for indeed many people are suffering during this time due to no fault of their own. Others might be negatively impacted because they were persuaded by some who didn't have their best interest in mind (but their own, such as banks and mortgage companies) and while they may feel they should have known better...how could that have been?

I think for all it's a good time to reassess where they are and the real reasons as to why they are there, do the best they can with that information and if it includes things for the "next time" so be it.

I do have some negative things in my life going on. I would hope, at my physical age and my age in the Lord, that I have learned some things (many the hard way) that I don't have to relearn. :yes One thing I know, that GOD is in control--but only fully when I stop trying to fix things on my own.

THERE IS NOTHING :heart THAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THAT THE LORD DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT, CARE ABOUT, NOR WILL NOT SEE YOU THROUGH. :yes

The sooner I totally rely upon Him, imo, the sooner I find my head above water again. Just my POV and I judge no one.

I think it is a positive thing and encourages others to have people post from all sides of this. It might only bring us down to read of desperation stories only. To realize others have gone through this and things are improving can only bring more hope to others, imo.

Then you have to define "Blessed" or "Prosperous"...if money and things are tied to those two words then it's only problematic for those who connect the two. I think the takeaway here is, that we need to stop equating wealth in general with being blessed.

If I am a homeless man with nothing, and someone gives me a dollar, then I am blessed, and so are they, and we both prosper. If I am wandering the desert and find a cool glass of water I am blessed.

When we "feel bad" because we think we are not somehow blessed because we don't have what others have, then we have a problem with our understanding of blessings and prosperity.

In my family when we sit down to eat we give thanks. I start it off with this simple prayer; "Lord thank you for this meal. Thank you for your many blessings. Go with us and keep us in your way, and help us to remember the good things you do for us every day." Then I call on one of my children to add to that prayer of thanks and we go all the way around the table. I do this because I want them to consider what God has done for us, not what we think he has not done for us, because that does not matter.

I am blessed, you are blessed and we are all prosperous. We should be talking about it and shouting it out load. This man made economy has nothing to do with it. It can all go south for all I care. We don't get our blessing from the world, or the bank, or government, jobs ect....
Exactly.

I had a friend not long ago that would be investigating everything we bought and always made you feel guilt via some sort of comment how its unfair she hasn't got what we have. Then she goes and blows her money on something silly instead of paying off debts first, and cries poor all the time.

yeah your right people with heaps of possessions/money can be destitute inside and not be nowhere as blessed as man with a good reputation, a good name and just enough stuff. My most valuable things in life have nothing to do with things I could buy etc.

No1 blessing- my family and the living things around me nature etc.

Equal second- Spiritual experiences- gives me a reason to live.

The rest of it turns me into a wage slave..not my favorite thing! The things that bring me happiness the most actually aren't related to wealth thankfully :)

To tell you the truth my experiences with money type things have not always been pleasant,

It makes people greedy and splits families. I know you need it but for me it has brought more times of misery than happiness. the only thing its good for is stabilizing your life so you can do the important fun stuff like going to the beach etc or playing with the pets. :)

lol thats my rant about money.

Exactly.

I had a friend not long ago that would be investigating everything we bought and always made you feel guilt via some sort of comment how its unfair she hasn't got what we have. Then she goes and blows her money on something silly instead of paying off debts first, and cries poor all the time.

:lol....I have a confession. Most of my friends and acquaintances are just the opposite. I know several people who love to talk about what they have, how well they are doing and just show off.

For some reason I'm on their braggadocio list. We'll get invited to a dinner party of something and it's always an opportunity for them to make their big announcement about what they have bought or something.

So what I like to do is act totally enamored with their "thing" what ever it is. WOW! that's a totally cool...whatever. My wife says I should not feed the beast, but as I explain to her It's what they want. :)

Danus,

Do you like my car :biggrin

When my car was in for paint, I think I drove all my friends nuts because that's all I could think about. And your comment really made me think, "Do they think I was just showing off or bragging?". I mean, most of the guys I spoke with know cars, and they know what ghost flames and 7 coats of clear cost...

But I don't think they did, even if they did get sick of me talking about it. I know of people like you're talking about that have to have better than the jones across the street.. Can't stand them and I just nod, "Yup, that's really nice" and that's about all they get out of me.

But back to the car :biggrin It's a labor of love.. a hobby. The guy who painted it said, "Your going to love everybody looking at you"... and I was a bit confused until everyone did look at us and my son said, "I feel so cool in this car with everybody looking at us".. and the light bulb went on for me what the painter was taking about. Hey, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes ... I just really like my car, but what I've learned to really enjoy, is watching other people enjoy the car as much as me :yes

this is problematic thread in that if you have been blessed at this time and are prospering you wouldn't be game to admit it for fear of making everyone else feel bad about their current situation.
Just so I'm clear, I didn't say I wouldn't like to hear stories of people skating by without feeling the recession. That's terrific! What I wanted to avoid was people turning this into a "I lived below my means because I was smart and you were reckless with your finances."

Not that anyone did, but I wanted to nip it in the bud. There are plenty of people who weren't "reckless" but were just a casualty of the times. So we need to do what we need to do, be thankful for what we have, and fix our hearts on eternal things rather than temporal ones.

Danus,

Do you like my car :biggrin

When my car was in for paint, I think I drove all my friends nuts because that's all I could think about. And your comment really made me think, "Do they think I was just showing off or bragging?". I mean, most of the guys I spoke with know cars, and they know what ghost flames and 7 coats of clear cost...

But I don't think they did, even if they did get sick of me talking about it. I know of people like you're talking about that have to have better than the jones across the street.. Can't stand them and I just nod, "Yup, that's really nice" and that's about all they get out of me.

But back to the car :biggrin It's a labor of love.. a hobby. The guy who painted it said, "Your going to love everybody looking at you"... and I was a bit confused until everyone did look at us and my son said, "I feel so cool in this car with everybody looking at us".. and the light bulb went on for me what the painter was taking about. Hey, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes ... I just really like my car, but what I've learned to really enjoy, is watching other people enjoy the car as much as me :yes

I do like that car, and I see it as a labor of love for you. I appreciate that it is that for you. So, I guess I enjoy your enjoyment of it. I know guys like you in the regard.

I do not want to get grease under my nails :), but I understand the value and pride one get's in building something. I don't see that as showing off, or being overly proud in a negative way.

The people I speak of are a bit different. For example. My sister just got back from Paris. It's her 5th trip with her husband. She does not call to check on me or ask how my family is, but she does call when she buy's something or takes one of these trips. She'll tell me all about that and then ask how I've been.

Not hurt by it, just saying. So, I like to stir her up to get her talking a more about whatever it is she wants me to be WOWED about.

I have a childhood friend that I connected with on face book a couple of years ago. No one has seen him since college. He's spent the years building a health care company that is the 3rd largest in his state. He has a family. However, His profile highlights his company, vacations and stuff he owns. It's not easy for him I'm sure. If you vacationed in your 3,200 square foot cabin/home in Colorado do you not post your vacation pics like everyone else?

However, he does not chit-chat much, so I conducted an experiment. I asked him about his family and he gave me a little summery. I asked him about his company and I got pages of info from him.

Anytime you want to make conversation with someone, ask about the thing you think they care about the most. I'm in sales ;) I pick up on people either over the phone or in person. I listen and watch them, how are they dressed, what do they drive, where did they grow up, go to school ....any clue I can find. I use that to exploit the conversation to make a connection. If I know something about what they do, or are interested in I can make a connection, but I can make a better connection by seeming interested more so than anything. Let them educate me.

Maybe that's why some people I know only contact me when they buy or do things, because they know I'll give them the wow factor and it validates them. But, what they don't know is that they show me more about them then they may want me to know, if they where a little less clueless.

You can't learn anything about someone by talking abut yourself. But you can know everything about someone by listening and applying an interest in them.

However, I like your car. In fact it's about the best looking Camaro SS I've seen. What year is it again?

Danus,

Glad you liked the Camaro... It's a 68 :lol

What you wrote, I picked up about you a bit ago... I know somebody who is similar, but it only works in sales with those who are so enamored in themselves they only want to hear themselves talk. My ohh my how people love to talk about themselves... It's amazing how a little, "I see", or "Wow", or even an "Umm Humm" with a nod of the head will fire them back up and they'll continue their story. You know, get somebody to say yes three times and in increases your chance of selling whatever you're selling. Wouldn't you agree ;)

As Christian's, we're selling Christ... and you'll agree that we're selling Christ by being genuinely interested in the lives of those we come into contact with, because we're not selling a religion, we're selling a relationship, and relationships are built on the ability to listen to others, and care about the things they care about, even when we have little interest about the things they care about.

Take my car for example, my wife doesn't really care about the car, and she has zero interest in working on it, but she cares enough about me to care about what I care about. As a result, she surprised me with the paint job you see now. Likewise, my wife loves to do dinner theater and puppets... neither which I enjoy participating in, but I do. Not because I care about dinner theater, but because I care about the things she cares about.

It sounds as if you have a wonderful gift that God has given you and you have the wisdom to see the more important things in life... and you're able to see the emptiness in others as they try to fill themselves up with things that can never fill them up.

I don't think it's an accident who God's put in your life...

As far as the OP is concerned, I just looked up the value of our home... Looks like it lost about $70,000 in value. Ehhh, like I said earier, I don't really care.

Danus,

Glad you liked the Camaro... It's a 68 :lol

What you wrote, I picked up about you a bit ago... I know somebody who is similar, but it only works in sales with those who are so enamored in themselves they only want to hear themselves talk. My ohh my how people love to talk about themselves... It's amazing how a little, "I see", or "Wow", or even an "Umm Humm" with a nod of the head will fire them back up and they'll continue their story. You know, get somebody to say yes three times and in increases your chance of selling whatever you're selling. Wouldn't you agree ;)

As Christian's, we're selling Christ... and you'll agree that we're selling Christ by being genuinely interested in the lives of those we come into contact with, because we're not selling a religion, we're selling a relationship, and relationships are built on the ability to listen to others, and care about the things they care about, even when we have little interest about the things they care about.

Take my car for example, my wife doesn't really care about the car, and she has zero interest in working on it, but she cares enough about me to care about what I care about. As a result, she surprised me with the paint job you see now. Likewise, my wife loves to do dinner theater and puppets... neither which I enjoy participating in, but I do. Not because I care about dinner theater, but because I care about the things she cares about.

It sounds as if you have a wonderful gift that God has given you and you have the wisdom to see the more important things in life... and you're able to see the emptiness in others as they try to fill themselves up with things that can never fill them up.

I don't think it's an accident who God's put in your life...

As far as the OP is concerned, I just looked up the value of our home... Looks like it lost about $70,000 in value. Ehhh, like I said earier, I don't really care.

:lol I was baiting you a bit, but I know you got that.

I do refer to selling Christ as well. I know that's not a term too many like to hear, but we all use our talents not only in vocation, but all so to further the kingdom.

On a lighter note, my real vocation often clashes with my Christianity. This could be a thread in and of itself, but I often don't make the numbers for the world quite like I used to. My morality gets in the way. ;)

Its not like I sell used cars. I mean I simply sale a service to corporations, but you having been in the trucking business know that I have to turn around and sell trucking and other logistics companies to get them to do the services for cheaper than I'm getting paid and make a dollar.

I used to pride myself on getting the absolute bottom dollar and keeping the rest, but I will say that the recession has changed that a little for me, or I should say that its heightened my sense of fair play.

I've seen a lot of people go out of business and it makes me wonder what I'm doing. Then sometimes I think it's just the world and the way things are. The company I work for is constantly pressuring me to do more, more more....and when they are done with me they will spit me out. I do just enough and then when I have to I bring out the old talent. The big guns, to put me over the top for the month or quarter or whatever. ........:)

No I've not suffered much during the recession. I know people who have. Some for honest reasons and some not so much, but I find myself asking what it's all worth anymore, and maybe someday God will push me to use what he's given me to work for him more. Maybe then I'll find a better answer, but until then I feel he's developing me for something greater.

I know what your saying Danus.

My oldest step son is figuring that out too. He's a personal banker and honestly, what he was selling was part of the reason for the financial collapse. Before the collapse, we would actually argue about how to run finances. We taught him better than that, but in the end it was him, a personal banker who gave trusted advice to others on how to manage their finances, that had to file bankruptcy.

The bad part about our son, was that he actually bought the cool aid the banks were having him sell.

Honestly Danus, I think we're just getting older :lol and realizing the things that are more important in life... You're a great guy, and you've got a wonderful talent with people and have a good understanding on the world around you. You may only pull out the big guns when you need to... but think of the people you've helped in the meantime. Cause you know just as well as I do, that they could get some young buck in there hungry for that dollar, and what would that do for the other guys? Naw Danus, I think God's got your right where he wants you. ;)

The recession has only been a SMALL part of the problems at work. But the Lord has led me in a new direction.

From my facebook page today:

Eleven years ago I moved to Georgia. It is still a move I am so happy I made. But nothing is forever (as a supervisor once told me as I quit my piddly job at Comcast Cablevision in 1980.) I met many of you thru my job at Trans Comm Services, and I cherish the relationships that I have built during my time there. And that makes it very hard to announce that I resigned today from Trans Comm Services. I will be around for two more weeks, and then start a whole new chapter in my career on October 24th with Kenwood, USA in their Suwanee, Georgia offices.

In my new position, I will be traveling most of the USA and sometimes out of the country in the capacity of "Systems Technician 2". My assignments will have to do with large radio communications systems for major customers. Some of the responsibilities are of a "Project Management" role and I have a fairly good idea already of what is expected of me in order to advance beyond this position.

This is not a decision I made lightly, and fact, I returned to school a few years ago just because of seeing Kenwood's advertisement for a similar job in 2006.

Some of you are customers that I will no longer be seeing. And some of you are Camelot friends - the logistics of this job are such that my role in Camelot will fade over time. This saddens me as much as not seeing my "work friends" anymore. I will miss you all, but the chance to advance like this DURING A RECESSION NO LESS, presents me with "a no brainer".

I cherish all of you, and will certainly miss all of you - and NOW you know how my Michigan friends felt as I moved away 11 years ago. You also know how I felt back then as well.

It's been an emotional day. Can't believe this is happening during a recession.

Hmm...

I have to say that much of its impact on me has been shielded by my parents. They have kept me in the dark on many financial matters. However I have felt the impact nonetheless.

Anyone notice how darn hard it is to find a job? I sure have. You know how many resumes and applications I've sent in? I don't either but I know there were a lot of them! Everyone of them either came with silence or a polite but efficiently quick "Thanks but no thanks!" Wasted my time doing two interviews for this company the last two weeks and in return I got a "Sorry we went in a 'different direction'." I say wasted because my scheduled appointments were both late and not on my account but their own... Rather unprofessional.

It has also effected choices I have made and decisions I have come too. I'm enlisting in the Army this spring so that I can continue my education another two years and get myself a pre-law degree. I am fully confident that if it wasn't for the economic situation at hand that I'd be able to go to school without worrying about the financial burden my parents would be feeling at home.

Hmm...

I have to say that much of its impact on me has been shielded by my parents. They have kept me in the dark on many financial matters. However I have felt the impact nonetheless.

Anyone notice how darn hard it is to find a job? I sure have. You know how many resumes and applications I've sent in? I don't either but I know there were a lot of them! Everyone of them either came with silence or a polite but efficiently quick "Thanks but no thanks!" Wasted my time doing two interviews for this company the last two weeks and in return I got a "Sorry we went in a 'different direction'." I say wasted because my scheduled appointments were both late and not on my account but their own... Rather unprofessional.

It has also effected choices I have made and decisions I have come too. I'm enlisting in the Army this spring so that I can continue my education another two years and get myself a pre-law degree. I am fully confident that if it wasn't for the economic situation at hand that I'd be able to go to school without worrying about the financial burden my parents would be feeling at home.

Well Pard, At your age don't think your time is wasted on those interviews. It's good practice. Don't get cynical either. Right now we have too many young people who have twisted thoughts about what is right and wrong and how things should be just because they feel they aren't getting what they think is "fair".

I don't think your that type of guy anyway. Stay strong and tough. You do what you have to do to make your way and know that God is with you. You will do the greater things working for God in whatever you do. Your part of the christian corporation. The pay is fantastic. the benefits are out of this world...literally, and you have the best boss anyone could ever hope to have. All he ask of you is to go on the assignments he sends you, and you will do it willingly with his love in your heart. :thumbsup

My husband was working as a machinist for many years at a shop where policies changed a few years after he got there. He ended up with carpal tunnel issues that were very bad and he asked to be moved to another machine and they did not honor it. He knew if he took the time to have the surgeries, he would lose his job, so he continued to work in pain for many years. He was just about ready to either have the surgery or file a WC suit and poof, they cloased the plant. We lost a car and a house, but in the end, made out okay. We had to cash in everything (at a 70% loss) to get another house and pay cash for a car, but it could have been worse.

He is 60 and is on SSD (so am I, as my health is very poor) and the VA takes care of his medical costs. We did end up filing a WC suit which will settle early next week. Hopefully, there will be enough for a good, used truck and a good, used 5th wheel, so we can make it to the desert for the winter. These Michigan winters are brutal on me.

I am just believing that everything will turn out good in the end.

Back