Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] I Think I'm Going to Get Baptized...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Navigator

My church is holding a baptism service on the 16th of September and I felt a really strong urge today at church to get baptized myself, so as of now, that is my plan. I feel for the longest time I was wavering because of some personal inadequacies/sins that...I don't know....held me kind of captive and left me hesitant of getting baptized, but at this point, I feel I'm more cemented in the Gospel and understand that while this baptism is meant to act as me being "washed clean"...I WILL sin after it happens and there is no stopping that. That's why I need Jesus so much. The issue now is that I really feel like I want my mom there...she's my mom and I know that she would want to see something like my baptism. She can come down, but it's 4 hours away and church starts at 10 am so she would have to leave really early or stay the night somewhere beforehand.

So my prayer is for guidance on what to do and that I get sound advice from the people I meet with to discuss it.

I am in the same boat so to speak. In my situation, my Mom has stated she wants to be there. I think it's great that you want to have your mother there. It's an outward profession of your faith, and why not have someone that you are close to, and brought you in this world, share the experience.

I prayed for you and guidance in arrangements for your mother to be there. I agree with the previous poster about having a close love one be there to witness the event :)

Don't think that baptism will somehow "do" something to you. Rather, it's a symbol of what has already occurred in the believer's life, and the symbol of believer's baptism publicly identifies you with the Lord's death, burial and resurrection. If you are sure that you are walking in newness of life through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, then obeying His loving command to honor Him in this way makes a lot of sense.

For anyone who isn't really sure whether he or she has been cleansed of his or her sins, it makes no sense at all.

The advice of responsible people in a Bible believing church can help.

That's awesome, brother! While some believers put too much on baptism and others devalue it as some sort of ritual, I have it just right. ;)

Seriously, you will be blessed. Being baptized is about being obedient to the Lord, and I believe you will be doing what Jesus modeled for us and what we are commanded to do. Your mother will be blessed in witnessing this as well. Whether it's a sprinkle or total immersion, I'm very happy to hear this news. :yes

Hi Navigator,

Congratulations on your decision to be baptized. I was baptized last summer.... I had been studying God's word for a few years and one day it was pressed upon my heart to be baptized. It was during the week and I called a few members of the church and they met me and I was baptized that afternoon. You will receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit and it does change your life.

Acts 22:16 (KJV)
16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

If you feel you want your mom there then she should be there and she will work out the details. I would do anything to get to my daughter's baptism and pray everyday they will come to that decision. Even if I had to drive all night or sit in the parking lot of the church! I am sure your mom would do anything to be there, too.

Keep us posted on your baptism day and an early welcome to God's Church!

God Bless,

BornAgain

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the encouragement through response. I definitely feel the love and appreciate you all backing me in this. :yes God Bless.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement through response. I definitely feel the love and appreciate you all backing me in this. :yes God Bless.

Navigator:

Remember also: in the days since Pentecost, the Holy Spirit comes to indwell at the New Birth (John 3). The Lord Jesus didn't come to believers physically when they were born again; He came by His Spirit.

Baptism is a symbol; it doesn't cause the Holy Spirit to arrive.

Congratulations on your wise decision to join the one Church, His Church, Baptism is what washes your sins "remits them", puts you in contact with Christs cleansing blood...

It represents the Death of your sinful ways, the water represents the washing of the sins, the coming up out of the water represents being Christ Like resurrected to a newness of life... it is then and only then you receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 2:38 (KJV)
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

It is then the Lord adds you to the one and only Church, the one he created:

Acts 2:47 (KJV)

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

I am without doubt it will be your mothers happiest day since she brought you into the world... :thumbsup

Congratulations on your wise decision to join the one Church, His Church, Baptism is what washes your sins "remits them", puts you in contact with Christs cleansing blood...

It represents the Death of your sinful ways, the water represents the washing of the sins, the coming up out of the water represents being Christ Like resurrected to a newness of life... it is then and only then you receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 2:38 (KJV)
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

It is then the Lord adds you to the one and only Church, the one he created:

Acts 2:47 (KJV)

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

I am without doubt it will be your mothers happiest day since she brought you into the world... :thumbsup

Sorry, it's a false view.

The blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1.7). Hebrews 9 says that it is by the eternal Spirit that the Lord Jesus 'offered Himself without spot to God' so that our consciences may be purged from dead works. It is faith in the work of Christ, not the symbol of baptism, that brings cleansing from sin.

Sorry, it's a false view.

The blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1.7). Hebrews 9 says that it is by the eternal Spirit that the Lord Jesus 'offered Himself without spot to God' so that our consciences may be purged from dead works. It is faith in the work of Christ, not the symbol of baptism, that brings cleansing from sin.

Make the thread in the A&T, be glad to discuss this... just not here...

God Bless you young man, your doing the right thing...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back