Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

In your opinion, do you believe in soul mates

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

TeamG

This is a subject that keeps coming up with me and as I am new here I would like to know others opinions. The thing is that lately I've been praying to meet the one person that I am to marry, and I understand patience is needed with this but, I met this guy, We'll call him M, and I have only known M for a few days but he is moving away. Me and M have really hit it off and I see the potential to really like more than I already do, which is alot. However, he is moving across the country, but the problem is that for some reason my soul is very attached more so than with other guys that I have like and for much longer periods of time. My question to you guys is do you think I would be able to feel who is my soul mate, its and ache in my soul that i cant really describe, so much so that its almost physical, and I would call my self in love with him.

Sure, why not? When love comes, it hits you like a ton of bricks :tongue

Still, the distance thing will be good for making sure. If you are soulmates, absence will only make your hearts grow fonder. If on the other hand it was lust or infatuation, it would be an out of sight, out of mind deal.

This is a subject that keeps coming up with me and as I am new here I would like to know others opinions. The thing is that lately I've been praying to meet the one person that I am to marry, and I understand patience is needed with this but, I met this guy, We'll call him M, and I have only known M for a few days but he is moving away. Me and M have really hit it off and I see the potential to really like more than I already do, which is alot. However, he is moving across the country, but the problem is that for some reason my soul is very attached more so than with other guys that I have like and for much longer periods of time. My question to you guys is do you think I would be able to feel who is my soul mate, its and ache in my soul that i cant really describe, so much so that its almost physical, and I would call my self in love with him.

It could be that this person could be the one your looking for. However; you are still at the butterfly stage. You have not yet gotten past the barrier to truly see if this person is different from the others. The longer you are with someone, the more you will find out who they really are. People sometimes "sugar" coat who they are for this butterfly stage. It's actually human biology, they want to seem attractive to you so they generally boast there best traits, and hide there worst. Eventually, like I said, these will rise in time. Just enjoy the relationship, and see what pans out.

Long distant relationships can be hard. I know, I have experienced one before. It didn't really end as favorable as I had hoped, but had the potential to. It requires a lot to stay with someone while they are so far away. The level of trust required is also really high. Would I do it again? Probably not. Simply because it was a major waist of time for me, in addition that there were plenty of available "soul mates" that lived in my area. I know how you feel, but like I said, that feeling will subside with time, and you will learn who they really are. Sometimes its great, sometimes its okay, and sometimes its bad. Time is of the essence, as they say.

two weeks ago i made a topic about soulmates in the ladies locker room. Maybe you can also check out some opinions of the ladies in there. ;)

it dependes on your gift ...for me i believe in a match made in heaven, if that is soulmate then maybe i believe in soulmate but i don't believe in " the one" or " Mr/Ms Right". Right now i just wonder what God has been thinking when He created him...;):chin

And regarding "long distance love"....
This is the most confusing and misleading type of relationship as its based not on a real relationship that is created by TIME SPENT IN PERSON, but rather its created by fantasy and imagination, as the person imagines what it could be like to be with the person who isnt really there.
So, what happens is, the person will end up living inside a fantasy love who is not a real love, but high strung emotions that have been created based on emails, and phone calls, which are not truly representative of a real relationship.

K

Last edited by a moderator:

Its very difficult to have a real relationship "long distance".
The reason is.........a real relationship has time invested in something other then emails and cam and phone.
A real relationship has time invested in quality in time spent in person, as without that, you can never truly know what you are dealing with, in "real".
Phone calls, Emails, and Online, ........this is the Holy land of PRETEND and PRETENDERS...
So, never build your love on such a fantasy island or you will live to regret it.

And regarding a "soul mate".
Well absolutely there is a soul mate available for you.
Russians call this your "2nd half", while in the USA they are referred to as your "better half".
I think 2nd half is a much clearer understanding of what a mate is suppose to be for you.
They are supposed to complete you, they are supposed to support you as in making your more solid and grounded and perfect.

The best way to find your soul mate is to ask God to connect you with them.
After all, God knows the perfect person for you, and so its best to let him direct this process.
And if this person you are interested in is God's soul mate for you, then God through time will show you.
It could be that God is moving this person away from you to protect you.

Be patient, and God will show you through time.

K

Last edited by a moderator:
No I don't. Jesus said, in Matthew 22:30, that there will be no giving or taking in marriage at the resurrection. Seems to me, that what a lot of people call soul mates, are nothing more than 2 carnal natures getting along well.
To me, FALLING IN LOVE, sends a message of lack of control (falling) and 1 Cor 13 shows us that if anything, love takes a lot of control.

No,I don't

Be wary of quick emotional attachments, especially after searching for a long time for a soul mate.

I don't believe in Divine interference, but just mathematically there is someone who has all or sufficient traits or habits that you seek in a mate.

Long marriages are really just a trial of patience and problem solving skills.

But statistically speaking, she will most likely find something better, leave you, and take half of your assets.

Two words: Prenuptial Agreement

Let's just state some scripture on this:

<sup class="versenum"> </sup>What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

That is the true definition of a "soul mate" regardless whether a "ton of bricks" fell or not. Warm, fuzzy feelings may support love but love itself is not that nor does it necessarily require that.

In addition, knowing that God has the "right person", don't bother to help Him along like Abraham tried to help God by setting up Ishmael to be the recipient of the birthright blessings. God did that all by himself with Isaac. I think people want to hurry God along on their time instead of God's.

LDR can be effective in developing a great future together if handled correctly.

My nephew met a girl at a dance. She was in town and had used to live there, but moved to a different state when her parents divorced.

Jared fell for her like that "ton of bricks" that Darkhorserising mentioned. He made sure he got her phone number and email address.

They spent several years emailing each other, calling each other and getting together only for brief periods when she would come to visit her father.

What happened was that they learned to communicate with each other. They were honest with each other and got to learn what the other person was truly like, without the overwhelming sexual tension that is usually present whenever two young people are sitting side by side.

When she turned 18, she moved to the same town my nephew lived in. They dated for a year, married and now have been married for 12 years and have 4 adorable kids.

And it all started with a dance one evening and two years of emails and phone conversations.

The key is honesty. If both of you remain honest in your communication with each other, you very well can develop a life long relationship.

I don't believe in "the One" idea either. I don't believe that God has handpicked a mate for us and if we are really spiritual and really smart and really open to God, He will lead His hand picked mate to us in a supernatural way. Sounds very romantic and all that and it even sounds really spiritual.

But, it isn't spiritual at all. There is no scriptural support for the idea that God handpicks a mate for us, and we need to find that 1 person in the 6,800,000,000 people on earth. The only thing in the bible that even hints at such a thing is the story of Issac and Rebekah, and even then, that story is far more about searching for a godly wife in a godless land than a blueprint on how Christians are predetermined by God to marry a specific person.

God has indeed set forth principles to apply to searching for a mate and marrying someone. We need to apply these principles if we are seeking a godly marriage.

TeamG, if it is indeed real love that you have for this man and he returns it... and you spend the time that he is away communicating honestly with each other and get to know each other... you may very well have a future with him that God can bless.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back