Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it important for Christians to live in the present moment?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
As you may know, Buddhists really prioritise this. Living in the present moment. For them, living in the present equals happiness. Preoccupation with past and present is unhelpful and unhealthy. Focus on right now and you are on the right track.
A few problems I see with this;
1. Christians don't prioritise their own happiness on earth. They prioritise obedience and love of God and neighbour. Happiness and peace of mind is icing on the cake. It's not the main goal.
2. Older people like myself. The past gets longer and the future shorter. Anxiety over elderly years in the future. And memories occupy our minds more. It's harder to live in the present if you aren't working full time anymore. Yes one can do volunteer work but there's more time to reflect on one's life. Still I see a need for meditation to calm the monkey mind.

Betraying the old ex Hippie in me, I would like to see mainstream Christianity embrace meditation. I feel closer to God when I'm in a more lateral mood. Less pedantic. Less legalistic. I think of Heaven as a spiritual world where we can communicate on a deeper level.

Meditation is a bit controversial in Christian circles. Personally I think the practice of mindfullness and using meditation in that way, is harmless. It's actually considered to be quite helpful for those who suffer from anxiety. Grounding techniques (noting things about the environment around you) is very helpful and one of the ways you're taught to pull yourself out of anxiety and panic attacks.
I did try out a meditation app a bit back, it didn't ask for anything bad or outlandish--literally just a guided voice that told you to close your eyes and notice things about the your body and the environment around you, for about four or five minutes. I don't see anything wrong with that. I would have continued with it if it didn't cost money to do more than just the basic course, haha.

If I meditate it"s usually on something spiritual.perhaps a bible passage I've just read, or wondering what the new earth will be like, what I've been praying about etc.
It is so true about when you get older the past comes back to your mind more often. But then that's where precious memories are stored. You can learn from the past too.
The present is most important though. Pray for the day thereof.
Doing things and helping others gives me joy, they are God's children. I don't think of it as legalism.

If I meditate it"s usually on something spiritual.perhaps a bible passage I've just read, or wondering what the new earth will be like, what I've been praying about etc.
It is so true about when you get older the past comes back to your mind more often. But then that's where precious memories are stored. You can learn from the past too.
The present is most important though. Pray for the day thereof.
Doing things and helping others gives me joy, they are God's children. I don't think of it as legalism.
Sorry Tess. No you are right. That's not legalism. I mean when we get obsessed about the meaning of Bible verses for instance.

Yeah I agree. There is so much to understand on the bible we will never know it all. So it's a waste of time being obsessed with one thing. Perhaps it's best to meditate on something, accept it, do it and carry on.
Meditating on good things is good for the body, mind and spirit. I agree with you, meditation is good.

Betraying the old ex Hippie in me, I would like to see mainstream Christianity embrace meditation. I feel closer to God when I'm in a more lateral mood. Less pedantic. Less legalistic. I think of Heaven as a spiritual world where we can communicate on a deeper level.

I vacillate between the past, present, and future. This is called diffused awareness. I go back to the past to learn from my mistakes and process my childhood trauma. I dream about the future in heaven. I make plans for the week ahead. But I mostly live in the moment where I get the most work done.

I have never learned how to formally meditate, but when I researched it one author said it is a modern form of meditation to "be still and know that I am God." This is what Quakers do. I was a Quaker for 10 years and only left because they do not believe in baptism and communion. I wanted both.

When I meditate I think about my relationship with God and Jesus and Spirit. I promise to keep trying to be a better person. I accept the things I am struggling with like my headaches. I ask him to send me to where I will be most useful. I ask for strength, discernment and wisdom. Sometimes I pretend I am a baby and Spirit is holding me. I love to be quiet even though I live in a loud world. I would love to have the money to move into the country.

P.S. Humble Soul, I was, and am, a hippie. I was at the Haight the summer of 1968. It was great until the drugs took over.

I'm a hippie in my thinking now perhaps. I never featured in the sex and drugs movement though. Too much of a nerd. But I can understand why people were inspired by the likes of ML King. The sixtees. What a decade. I was not quite old enough to be a teenager then. early baby boomers were the true lucky ones. Like you Susannah.

It was an amazing time. People actually did wear flowers in their hair. We sat around the Panhandle in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and listened to music. Most people smoked weed but I didn't because it made me nervous. And then there were the protesters against the Vietnam War. Across the bay at UC Berkeley they were protesting for free speech. I was there when they brought in the tanks in the National Guard. I do feel fortunate to have gone through that. As you can see for my picture my hair is still long. I don't wear makeup. I think in my heart I will always be happy because despite the drugs the movement was about love. And there was a spiritual component. They were speaking up against politics of the time. Civil rights and all that. Thanks for the Memories. By the way, my daughter was conceived at that time in my life. And I didn't give her up for adoption like my parents wanted me to. That was my first act of rebellion

2. Older people like myself. The past gets longer and the future shorter. Anxiety over elderly years in the future. And memories occupy our minds more. It's harder to live in the present if you aren't working full time anymore.

I'm the opposite as I am a few years older than you and have been on disability since I was 47. To me it seems like the past gets shorter and the future longer as yesterday is just a memory as we look towards the future with great anticipation not knowing what it holds for us. I'm a day by day person as we are not promised tomorrow and I live in the moment. I meditate on the word of God and the beauty that surrounds me within God's creation. I'm always the odd duck, LOL.

The odd duck was actually a swan. I'm sure from your posts that you're of that quality

It's more fun being the odd duck as it makes others wonder what you are up to at times, LOL. It's all good as I walk to the beat of different drummers as I like variety.

Rom 13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
Rom 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

2Co 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

1Th_1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

1Th_2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

1Th_5:17 Pray without ceasing.

Rom 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
Rom 13:13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
Rom 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Php_4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

1. Christians don't prioritise their own happiness on earth. They prioritise obedience and love of God and neighbour. Happiness and peace of mind is icing on the cake. It's not the main goal.
2. Older people like myself. The past gets longer and the future shorter. Anxiety over elderly years in the future. And memories occupy our minds more. It's harder to live in the present if you aren't working full time anymore. Yes one can do volunteer work but there's more time to reflect on one's life. Still I see a need for meditation to calm the monkey mind.
Agreed. We should live or God but there is nothing with being blessed or enjoying life too. Death comes to all, but we can prolong that time, and really live for the moments. I face alot of issues but i am also enjoying life too.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back