Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it just me, or is this...ironic?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

handy

OK, so I was dinking on Facebook and I saw an intersting pic to the right where the ads were. The pic was of a guy's back on which NOTW was tatted. It was highly stylized and the "T" was definately a cross.

Clicking on the add I was brought to here:

NOTW Clothing - Not of This World Apparel, T-Shirts, & Car Stickers

Which is touted as being "More than a Christian clothing brand, it's a LIFESTYLE". The pictures are dark, the guys are young, handsome, sort of tough looking. The graphics are very remicent of gang tagging and graffiti art.

The clothing sells for $23.00 for "edgy" tee, $43 bucks for a hoodie...not outrageous, but not discount either. Te "Spiritdomes" hat, which features a black stylized skull, a cross and Psalm 23 written on the underside of the bill sells for a tidy $28 bucks.

The thing that struck me about this very trendy, very up-to-date, very dark/gang/goth stylin site is that the NOTW stands for "Not Of This World"....

:chin

I looked at their selection. The home page has a rather dark theme but their t shirt selection isn't very dark/goth/gang. Maybe that's just me. I do live in a city and those kind of shirts are rather normal to see.

Oh, I do want to clarify...I don't mind the look. 'Smatter of fact, if it weren't so expensive, I'd get the hat for my son...he likes that kind of thing.

It just struck me as ironic, this clothing store that is on the cutting edge of "trendy" (you said it yourself, this style is very normal to see) bills itself as "Not Of This World".

This reminds me of one of the incomparable Dave Berg's comics for Mad Magazine. This one was circa about 1973 and it showed a man talking to the boys of his neighborhood. All the boys had long hair, tie-died shirts, bellbottoms, sandals...the old guy asks, "Why do you boy's dress that way?" and their answer was "To be different".

Then the old man sees another young man, Richie. Ritchie is clean cut, wearing slacks, loafers, and a button down...so he naturally asks Ritchie, "Why aren't you dressed like all the other kids?" and Ritchie says, "To be REALLY different!" :lol

I think, deep down inside, we Christians have a need to show everyone that we are just as "cool" as everyone else. (Does anyone use "cool" anymore? What is it now? Phat? Boom ting? Where's my daughter when I need her!)

But, if we're showing everyone that we can be just as cool as the world...can we really claim that we are not of this world?

OK, so I was dinking on Facebook and I saw an intersting pic

Dora, when I first read this, I thought you said you were drinking on Facebook! :toofunny

Oh, Dora! She's drinking on Facebook! I wonder if Steve knows about this. :sad How many stories does she need to read before she knows better than to drink on Facebook? :lol

So, where's Farouk? He'd have 10 posts on this thread and a follow-up thread with a poll!

Just kidding, Farouk! :)

Mike.

Mike, Mike, Mike...:shame

In all honesty, if there was a website that would drive me to drinkin'...it'ud be this one! :lol

Dora, when I first read this, I thought you said you were drinking on Facebook! :toofunny

Oh, Dora! She's drinking on Facebook! I wonder if Steve knows about this. :sad How many stories does she need to read before she knows better than to drink on Facebook? :lol

So, where's Farouk? He'd have 10 posts on this thread and a follow-up thread with a poll!

Just kidding, Farouk! :)

Regardless of if I'd been drinking on CF.net or not, this is too funny! :rolling

We miss you Farouk!!!!

Right up there with:

reba said:
commys can still have grandmas!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back